HoldenV8
Years ago

MM's "Projected" Starters - 36ers vs Perth

I see in Matt McQuade's picks for Round 4 that his projected starting 5 for the Sixers is Warren, Ng, Weigh, Simpson & Balls. Personally I hope he's wrong. If it were me I would be starting Warren, Ng, Weigh, Balls and DJ (or Simpson starting at SF with Weigh on the bench.....though I can't see Clarke starting Weigh on the bench).

DJ starting on the bench? If last year showed anything its that Balls is a PF and at best someone who can fill in at centre, but with 2 almost 7 foot centres in the team starting both from the bench doesn't make sense to me. Although Balls led the team in just about everything last year as the starting centre he's not suited to the 5 spot. IMO DJ should be playing the major minutes at 5 with Helliwell playing the backup and picking up extra minutes at a backup PF to Balls.

On the plus side Cross should be back against Perth. We definitely missed his experience in the past couple of weeks. Hopefully with the old man back in the side Herbert will get less minutes and can find his way back into form without stinking up the joint for half the game.

Topic #26685 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a random call but I would start with Warren crosswell weigh balls and helliwell start with experience on the court. With helliwell starting I would feed the ball into him as much as possible. If he stays around the basket instead of setting high screens he is a great post up player, with 3 shooters waiting for the outlet pass. Crosswell and Warren to dribble through there man on d.

Reply #336446 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Great Post player? With no post moves I don't know how this is possible?

Reply #336447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 7 ft and backs his opponent under the ring. It's not rockert surgery! You don't play for your country if ur shit. You also don't get signed on big money to come back to the nbl if you can't play a bit. Give him some minutes at the start of the game and feed him the ball I'll happly eat my words if he stuffs up but he hardly got a gig behind nevill and burston so give him a go and see what he can do and yes he maybe slow on d but least he won't get pushed out of position. No high screens though!

Reply #336452 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Agree with MM's starting 5. Fed up with DJ's pathetic D and softness. Bring him on when Balls goes to the bench for an offensive punch.

Reply #336453 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like annons starting 5 of Warren, Crosswell, Weigh, Ballinger, Helliwell.

I think Herbert and Ng havnt deserved a starting 5 spot with their play so far so make them out play Crosswell or Creek who would be my other option for the starting SG.

Its obvious the coaches are not fans of the Ballinger/Johnson combo so id like them to either start Ballinger/Helliwell or Simpson/Johnson.

So id either go with anons 5 above or Warren, Weigh, Creek, Simpson, Johnson.

Given our slow start i would probably go with anons 5 as it gives us 3 new starters, to the other games 2 good ball handlers to handle perths defense, and Ballinger will hopefully give us the spark we need.

Reply #336455 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd go with DJ, Simpson, Weigh, Crosswell and Warren.

Some might recall that in our first game against Perth we were pretty competitive early, with DJ scoring effectively and getting Neville in foul trouble straight away. I also think Balls needs to be eased back in and is needed to keep the score ticking over once we bring some of our bench in.

Would go with Crosswell over Ng or Herbert, because we need someone who can hopefully slow Lisch down early and neither of the former looked like doing that last time.

If Balls is going well, I'd be happy to see him paired with Simpson later in the game, with the latter playing centre.

Weigh is going to be critical to the team's success. Last time, the Sixers lost primarily because first Wagstaff and then Redhage killed us with their mobility and range at the top of the key. Basically, Weigh is our only small forward type who can go with these guys and challenge their shot. If we are lucky, Simpson will be able to guard them a bit, but he hasn't really looked mobile enough for that IMO.

If Simpson can't do it, we're gonna have to use Herbie to give Weigh a breather at SF. IMO Weigh and Herbie have to be right up on Redhage and Wagstaff - no open threes! Force them to put it on the floor and then see if DJ and Simpson can at least put a bit of pressure on them at the rim.

Reply #336456 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Warren and Croswell 'cause they doubled Warren and we looked a little lost.
SF - Simpson - let's see what he's got and Clarke/Weigh's love affair is putting me off.
PF - Ballinger is our best shooter.
C - Johnson.

Reply #336458 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Our best 5 is Warren, Weigh, Simpson, Ballinger, Johnson.
Unfortunately we can't really afford to start all 5 (unless Perth are also forced to go tall with Martin out).
Herbert hasn't earnt a starting spot. Ng hasn't really either.
Warren is probably a good enough scorer to play the 2 and to have Crosswell start at the 1 up against Robbins.
Our 5 and their 5 in this equation is actually quite similar.
Robbins vs Crosswell (both usually back-ups but circumstances see them starting)
Lisch vs Warren (star imports, probably each teams best player at this point)
Tovey vs Weigh (defense vs offense, pretty fierce rivalry between the 2 I would have thought)
Redhage vs Ballinger (probably the most important player on each team, when fit both are among the best in the league, naturalised imports)
Knight vs Johnson (young bigs with huge potential)

Then even to the bench there is similarities.
Ng vs Williamson (spot up shooters, not much else)
Simpson vs Nevill (both probably could, even should be starters but have better players ahead of them)
Helliwell vs Trueman (purely depth men on the end of the bench)
Creek vs Wagstaff (youngsters with huge futures)
Herbert vs Hire (Herbert has become a nothing player this year, Hire is only in the lineup with Martin out)

Obviously, the vast majority of these matchups will be won by Perth, but we have a similar makeup. Martin in there changes things obviously.
Will be pretty disappointed if we don't at least compete here.

Reply #336461 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

will marty actually try something new though? so far we have seen him stuck in his ways so i dont think he is going to go too experimental here.

Reply #336463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stat stands out almost as much as the court-time Adelaide has bestowed upon former Wildcat and 36ers' starter Stephen Weigh.

Since his release from the last year of his Perth contract, Weigh has been the only 36er immune to coach Marty Clarke's relentless rotations.

Weigh has played 108min 29sec of an available 118.11 in Adelaide's three losses, having fouled out with 1:49 left in the dank 71-94 loss to Sydney. It means he averages more than 36 minutes a game - by far the greatest amount of action for anyone in the NBL this season. Even hot-hand Lisch is only playing 30:30.

Weigh's return on Clarke's generosity is 10.7 points at 33 per cent, 6.7 rebounds, 1.0 assist and 3.0 turnovers. Clarke said Weigh and Nathan Herbert - who also is down - suffered from being "so keen to play well". Herbert only plays 20 minutes though, Weigh clearly the coaching panel's "blind spot."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/wildcats-are-riding-a-really-hot-hand/story-e6frect3-1226178795610

Reply #336465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo8888 hire is not in because Martin is out it is trueman which is in also I would like to see the cats start with Robbins lisch tovey knight nevill and would like the sixers to go with warren weigh creek Simpson Johnson with both balls and redhage coming off the bench to give the spark both teams will need

Reply #336466 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

I doubt it very much things will change, if anything we will be 0-6.

The fans are getting frustrated

Reply #336467 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Sure some would say Weigh is playing too much, personally i would leave him playing around 20- 30 mins, and Have Warren, Ballinger, Johnson all playing 20-30 mins, with Crosswell, Creek, Simpson playing around 25 and the others just play a small amount if at all.

Could work something like this

PG Warren (30)/Crosswell (10)
SG Crosswell (15)/Creek (10)/Herbert (8)/Ng (7)
SF Weigh(25)/Creek (10)/Simpson (5)
PF Ballinger (25)/Simpson (15)
C Helliwell (15)/Johnson (25)

That leaves our main players playing 20-30 mins

Warren 30
Crosswell 25
Weigh 25
Ballinger 25
Johnson 25
Simpson 20
Creek 20, not really a SG offensively but his size and athelticism should mean he can guard Lisch well and limit his otuput, Weigh is a good enough perimiter/mid range scorer and ball handler to be the SG offensively for the time Creek is there.

That gives us a main 7 with Helliwell rounding out our 8 man rotation, and Ng and Herbert used in small bursts, for Ng to shoot a couple of quick 3's and Herbert to play some hard defense on Lisch for a few minutes, if they show good form give them a few extra minutes.

Reply #336493 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He likes to play Ballinger at Centre and Weigh for 36mins and doesn't like Johnson and Ballinger on together . Be interested to see tonite.

Reply #336496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, any consensus on the starters?

Reply #336573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm happy with Warren crosswell weigh balls and helliwell = experience, then get creek simpson and dj to provide a spark of the bench. Clark should be saying to creek to attack the rim and shoot 1st mentallity

Reply #336579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warren, Herbert, Weigh, Ballinger, Helliwell for mine.

Reply #336602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The starters for a winning game:

"Adelaide opened with Warren, 23, Mitch Creek, 19, Weigh, 24, Simpson, 24 and Johnson, 23 - the youngest starting group in the league this season."

Reply #336906 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754