older
Years ago

Great Players that never got an NBL opportunity

I can name a few from Sydney metro areas,
Jason Strong (as athletic as anyone in the country, just too short and skinny for NBL)
Brett Foster (may have been a dev player for Razorbacks)
Stacey Cole (no one wanted to coach Ken Coles only son)

Topic #26694 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Jason Dix would have to be the obvious one in SA. Also It would have been interesting to have seen how Todd Mathews would have gone in the NBL.

Reply #336589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dix had the opportunity but wasn't interested I imagine.

Given a string of shorter guards in the NBL, I wonder if Matthews might've got a chance if he'd been coming through now.

Reply #336594 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Jason Reardon - probably the best player to never play NBL

Reply #336595 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Jay Pottinger.Played a couple of very impressive trial games for the Hawks but never really got a crack.

Reply #336597 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Have to say Rhys Newsome, Shane Smith and Scott Mitchell were great players never to play NBL

Reply #336611 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Hands Down

Ben Osborne, punished for being the son of an ex 36ers coach.
Had an amazing talent and for mine was on par with Maher for clutch performing. A true PG that could read every play almost perfectly.

Reply #336613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ivan Platenik anyone

Reply #336623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ben Osborne, punished for being the son of an ex 36ers coach.
Had an amazing talent and for mine was on par with Maher for clutch performing. A true PG that could read every play almost perfectly"

Athleticism (lack of) and height killed his chance. Was a very smart player though.

Reply #336627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dxz was the other one. Asked by the 6ers back then to give up his lucrative career (banking/accounting I think) for minimum salary full time player. Not a tough decision for your future.

Reply #336629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* Dix not Dxz

Reply #336631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jay pottinger had all the skills and size but wasn't fast enough to mark the quicker guards in the league

Reply #336633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Ahmatt anyone? So if spelling is wrong

Reply #336635 | Report this post

Crocs City  
Years ago

Rodey James and Kurt Russell 1 went to AIS,but back injures had 45pts in final for pioneers early 2000,also Rodey killed it for Mildura triple double city,anyone know if they had NBL try-outs both from Townsville,SA people would have heard of them??

Reply #336636 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Did Ron Nunnelly ever suit up?

Reply #336637 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Scott Pendelbury

Reply #336638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Toddy Matthews all the way

Reply #336642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they both trained with the Suns/Crocs but had to leave town to get some burn in the state league team that was STACKED back then.

Rodey was a very late bloomer so he slipped through a few cracks.

Reply #336644 | Report this post

Crocs City  
Years ago

I heard when they all played ABA for heat in 98 rodey,PC,Russell,fergo,hall,cavaghnah tom crawford loaded young ABA team all 18-19, but so i though Kurt had trials with west sydney,hunter,adelaide,crocs?and rodey had trials with melbourne,perth,cairns,crocs?was rodey ever a chance to make it or kurt?

Reply #336649 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Ivan is not NBL caliber, he's kinda like a lesser version of Simon Conn.

CJ Massingale's been here long enough, although import but you'd think somebody should've given him a chance considering he accomplished much more than Kevin Ratsch!

Reply #336656 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

bruce blair

Reply #336741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reardon, unbelievable that he was never picked up.

Reply #336742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platnik in Vic
Ben Arkell??

Reply #336795 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

ben arkell did play with west sydney and cairns(?)

Reply #336803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

easily shane ahmatt, but he opted for a different life path

Reply #336826 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Steve Hull & Nick Gibson

Reply #336843 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Shane Ahmatt actually played for the 36ers so wouldn't qualify in this argument.
Plus he was not that good.

Reply #336846 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The call on Rhys Newsome is a good one.

The call on Platenik is a poor one, he is just physically not capable of defending anyone in the NBL.

Massingale is also seen as a defensive liability in NBL terms that is too much to carry.

Bob Cunningham who played for Warrnambool for years should get a mention - trialled for a couple of NBL clubs but never made, i suspect was too slow for NBL.

Reardon had a couple of trials. Not sure what the go was with him - always struck me as a player with a strange attitude.

Reply #336849 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rhys Newsome briefly played for the Magic. Great SEABL player, always seemed under control.

Reply #336850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People always think Platenik won't cope physically, but over and over again he does the same performances on NBL players, Adrien Sturt, Daniel Johndon, Cam Tragardh, Tom Greer, Ian Crosswhite, that's within the last 2 years.

Reply #336860 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Platenik is too undersized at the next level. you really want a nbl team to sign a 6'7 center? even at 4 man he'll be undersized and has no athleticism.

I actually think CJ would be good for the league. obviously not the best defender.but hey nbl's had a fare share of imports that had no d

Reply #336861 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Some players just need the right fit. Mike Kelly was over looked for years until he got his opp & he ended up a star. The same as Sean Redhage. Ivan macfarline imo would have been a great low priced import that in the right system (Cairns for e.g) could have made it. Deba George b4 this season could have made this list. He can flat out play & just needs a chance to get his confidence going!

Reply #336867 | Report this post

Unley Boys  
Years ago

Adam Gillings would have made it.

Reply #337117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Slaughter?

Reply #337344 | Report this post

Gareth  
Years ago

if Beau Westover and some melbouene Tigers junktime bench players who still got NBL minutes made the cut, surely Platenik is deserved of an opportunity

Reply #837414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754