HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance, Round 4

Another weekly installment in the life of the NBL Attendances. Round 4 this time. No entry fee and all in attendance receive a free beer if the Cat hits a shot from half way :P

Breakers vs Kings - 6,383 @ Vector Arena (53% capacity)
Taipans vs Hawks - 4,853 @ CCC (92% Capacity)
Wildcats vs 36ers - 4,200 @ CS (93% Capacity)
Crocodiles vs Blaze - 3,702 @ TEC (70% Capacity)
Hawks vs Tigers - 3,693 @ WEC (64% Capacity)

Total Round Attendance: 22,831
Total Round Average: 4,566
And just for fun.....
Average for Patty Mills games: 3,748 (87%, -11% since Rd.3)

Kinda surprised at the crowd for the Breakers v Kings. I know it was the largest ever basketball crowd ever in NZ but I thought they would have drawn more than that. Still, its better than the 4,500 or so who would have been at the NSEC.

Taipans v Hawks got a good crowd, especially since Wollongong don't always travel well and a home win should have been on the cards (who shuffled them?).

Were there 300 empty seats at The Jungle on Friday night? I know TV can be deceptive but it didn't seem like there were that many. Though admittedly the report said 'about 4,200'.

Townsville crowd......yep.

Disappointing crowd in the `Gong on Sunday night, especially since the Hawks won on Friday in Cairns. It seems not everyone is going to come out to see a current NBA player running around in the NBL. Almost as disappointing as the Hawks themselves giving up what was at in point in the 2nd a 15 point lead to lose by 8. That could by why more people aren't going to their home games.

Topic #26713 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Interesting, the Hawks crowd of 3693 versus Tigers was remarkably close to the previous games where the Hawks played the Blaze and 3693 attended.

What's the chance of the exact same number of people turning up to the game? ... er, ah .. none/extremely slim.

What's the chance of an official at the Hawks making up the crowd figure ..... or maybe forgetting to change last week's form?

I do not believe the crowd numbers from last year in the NBL, and until we go to an independent reporting mechanism, like venue's reporting crowds instead of clubs, then they will continue to be questionable for fans, for sponsors and for TV Executives.

Reply #337027 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

HoldenV8: Auckland has just hosted the Rugby World Cup finals, over 6 thousand people to see the Kings isn't bad

Reply #337028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, the Hawks v Tigers crowd looked much bigger than that.

Reply #337033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear Kris humpries is avalible - maybee the kings should make a play for him ... would be good for crowd numbers

Reply #337036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Vector only holds 7/8k for basketball.

Reply #337048 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

There weren't many empty seats @ Vector apart from in the corners where the view was pretty shit anyway.
I agree anon, Vectors max capacity with a court is around that figure

Reply #337050 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another good round really, let's hope it continues. The better scheduling the last couple of seasons really appears to be making a difference. Shame about the need to play on Sunday nights this year, that will hurt.

Reply #337052 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So here's last seasons reasons for crowds to be up everywhere, regurgitated.

a) as Paul said better scheduling, longer season, more spacing of home games (14 home games over 25 weekends, opposed to 14 over 21)
b) Removal of Wednesday night games
C) FTA, which everyone said would bring the crowds flocking back to NBL (that was prior to last season)
d) Return of the Kings (virtually the sole reason nbl crowds were "up" on "average" last season)

I am sure there were others. But basically all the conditions were in play last season for crowds to be much better. Those conditions largely exist this season as well, excepting that Sunday arvo games (awkward) have become Sunday night games (yuk).

Reply #337069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings:

Round 4
Fri - Perth Wildcats v Adelaide 36ers, 30,000
Sat - Townsville Crocs v Gold Coast Blaze, 24,000 (WNBL: 35k)
Sun - Wollongong Hawks v Melbourne Tigers, N/A

http://www.michaeldifabrizio.com/nbl-tv-ratings

Reply #337079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think crowds only went up 9% last year without the Kings so that is a fair point. Let's hope now that Sydney and Adelaide can actually start winning at home and generate some really good crowds.

Reply #337081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks HoldenV8
Keep this up weekly please

Reply #337082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have ever been around the NBl, the crowd figures are simply plucked out of the air.
Have a look at ticket sales, have a look at coprates seats already sold and work out a near realistic number.
The Razorbacks famously got 900 poeple to a game and ther were about 300 poeple in the arena.300% increase.

Reply #337112 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interestingly, the Breakers figure of 6400 didnt include free tickets, hence why commentators and people at the game thought it was a near sell-out.

Reply #337123 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Good point Paul, Breakers figures were "tickets sold" not bums in seats.

Reply #337132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't that mean it would include people who did not attend?

So the figure was highly then those actually at the game?

Reply #337158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, there were supposedly a few hundred more at the game.

Reply #337164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says who?

Tickets sold doesn't always mean only those paid for.

Reply #337165 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

To Anon #337048, I'm pretty sure that Vector Arena holds as much for basketball as it does for netball which is the arena's seated capacity of 12,000.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the crowd was a bad one, it was after all a NZ basketball record crowd. I just thought that with the game being the Breakers first home game of the season, and considering they are the defending NBL champs, AND they were playing the Kings who seem to be the team that everyone else wants to see (so the 'spin doctors' would have people believe) I honestly thought they would have posted a bigger crowd figure than 6,383. Sure its a good crowd, so far the biggest of the NBL season and at the end will be among the top 5 crowds of the season, I'm just surprised it wasn't at least 8,000. I wasn't expecting a full house (though would have been nice to see) but just over half full.....I wonder if the Breakers will look to use VA for future NBL Grand Final games, should they make it again of course.

HO, I also noticed that the crowd figure posted for the Hawks v Tigers was the same as the Hawks v Blaze game at the `Gong. Coincidence or did someone mess up the figures? But seriously, according to the figure posted there were 2,107 empty seats at the WEC for both games. Were there really that many for the game on Sunday?

A 'sellout crowd' doesn't always mean a capacity crowd. Remember in Rd.2 the Wildcats v Tigers game was a sellout at the 4,500 Challenge Stadium and the figure posted was 4,300. There are times when some people don't show up despite having purchased a ticket

Reply #337234 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

HoldenV8, where were the thousands of empty seats then?

Reply #337299 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

mystro, it was reported before the game that the venue was being curtained (or similar) for the game.

Reply #337545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754