John
Years ago

Patty Mills hurting the Tigers

Just saw this on the NBL website, for all the Patty haters out there...

'In the first three quarters against Sydney, Melbourne were outscored by 15 points when Mills was on the court. In the 1min 54sec he was resting, the Tigers were five points the better.

In Perth, the Tigers were outscored by 20 points when Mills was playing, but were four points the better in the 5min 35sec he was on the bench.

Last week against Wollongong, the Tigers outscored the Hawks by 10 points in the 9min 14sec they were without Mills, but were outscored by two points when he was on the floor.'

Topic #26720 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

It would be better if you put the info in the context of the article, which suggests the Tigers need to use Mills more aggressively as a scorer because when he isnt scoring he doesnt seem to have an influence on the game.

In the last quarter against Sydney the Tigers were +18 with Mills on the court, and were +11 in the third quarter against Wollongong. Both those occasions Mills was going off. For the rest of the season the Tigers are something like -47 with Mills on the court (but +20 with him off), suggesting they need to utilise him better.

Reply #337161 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And given that Mills is one of the major reasons for 2 of the Tigers 3 wins, the topic thread doesnt really tell the story.

Reply #337162 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I wouldn't call myself a hater but not the biggest fan. However, there's no way Patty's hurting the Tigers.

all those stupid things just have to shut the f*ck up cos the Tigers are 3-1 and Patty's the leading scorer for the team and that speaks for itself.

they do seem a bit disorganized when Patty's on the court cos he draws so much attention since he's a "NBA" player/bench warmer.

but regardless of whatever stats it is, Tigers are winning and Patty's their leading scorer and that matters more than anything.

Reply #337166 | Report this post

sixersfan  
Years ago

you only have to watch the game to see the influence patty has on the game. the stats only tell half the story and you can use random stats to prove anything, any statistician knows this.

Reply #337168 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

for development of Patty at the higher level, I think that is the problem. he still doesn't seem very confident running a team on a consistent basis, like Ubaka. at the higher level he won't be 'scoring' whenever he'd like.

you see a few good plays here and there that he creates for his team mate but his high turnover to assist ratio (3:2) talks alot.

for him to go higher level his play-making ability needs to improve. maybe Tigers should hire Sedale Threatt to help him with that, the dude was ranked #6 all time play-maker for Lakers franchise lately.

Reply #337171 | Report this post

rog  
Years ago

haha i love how the article mentions the 3 quarters of the sydney game that make Mills look bad, but fails to mention the last quarter which makes him look good.

I personally don't think the +/- stat is a very good determinant on a players value anyway.

Reply #337172 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Read the article Rog:

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2011/november/r5-preview-sydney-kings-v-melbourne-tigers/

"The Tigers have twice dominated opponents with Mills on the court - the last quarter against Sydney and the third period against Wollongong. Mills went into attack mode, showing he can be a scoring superstar by nailing 30 per cent of his season points total in those two match-winning periods."

Reply #337173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not a huge fan of +/- either, but the stats for Mills were a surprise when I read them and definitely worth discussion.

Outside his two really good quarters the Tigers have been getting soundly beaten with Mills on the court, yet are outscoring opponents when he is on the bench. Why is that? Mills is obviously a very good player so I am intrigued by these stats.

Reply #337175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers are in big trouble if they need their point guard to be a scorer...

Id rather he had 10+ assists and 10 steals per game then 10+ points.

Reply #337176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is the best player in the league but he needs to reign in his shot selection. Stop chucking (like he did on the weekend) and do it within the flow of the game and the Tigers will be right up there at seasons end and he'll go close to winning the MVP (assuming he's here for the full season).

Reply #337179 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He shoots way too much and the rest of the team which is very capable is not utilised to its potential when he is playing.

If he was playing more as apart of the team and not a star, whether or not he is, then I would think higher of his game in the NBL.

I dont think they will miss him much when he goes, not saying that he isnt making an impact just dont think it will leave as a big hole as his points stats might suggest.

Reply #337188 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I kinda agree with above, but not confident how the Tigers gonna look after Mills.

obviously Ubaka will play better and Dillon will do better but I think performance of Dorsey will determine whether Tigers gonna be successful post-Mills.

IMO Mills need to understand how to make others around him effective. he's kinda acting like a shooting guard right now. even when watching the game he seems more comfortable when spotting up in the corner with Ubaka running the point.

Reply #337199 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Correction Anon, Mills has the potential to be the best player in the NBL, all he has at the mo is footspeed and the ability to throw up 12 bricks and then make goggles with his hands when he finally hits 1 shot ;)

Reply #337200 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I have to disagree with the comments that the +/- isn't important, I'd say it's the most important stat. It's the only one that indicates whether a player is making his team better, and Mills at the moment cant be in MVP discussions (based on proper MVP voting, which the NBL doesnt really have) because the V stands for valuable, and you're only valuable if youre making your team better.
What is worse is that the Tigers are 3-1 and his +/- is that bad. If they were losing it would be understandable, but they have a winning record despite how much theyre being outscored while mills is playing

Reply #337202 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He will always be a scorer, first and foremost, whichever guard spot he is in. Realistically though he is going to play PG more often than not so I'd like to see the Boomers and Tigers have a system where once he makes the entry pass he is constantly in motion coming off screens, ala Penney for NZ.

The focus other teams will have on him will open things up for his teammates, and he doesnt have to actually be the option each time down. When he does touch the ball again after the initial pass though he should be in a position to score, that's what he does very well.

Reply #337206 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I agree that 'The focus other teams will have on him will open things up for his teammates', but that doesn't explain why his teammates are playing better with him on the bench.
I'm not saying he's not a good player but he's not being used right by Gleeson at the moment

Reply #337208 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Someone's gone and said that dreadful line "Mills is the best player in the league".

He's a front-runner, but by no means "The Best". As discussed in other threads, there are at least 3-4 other players equal or better than him.

Mills could be scoring this much for any team in the league, but the Tigers are dominating because they have reliable talent across the board. All due respect to Patty, but Ubaka/Dillion/Dorsey/Trigger could easily replace the point production that Mills has been putting out. Same goes if he was on any other team in the league. Patty would need to wrack up 30+ppg for the season to say otherwise.

Agree fully with comments about better utilization. The man can get on a hot-streak, but doesn't get setup for the best shots to trigger it.

Reply #337210 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed. Hard job for Gleeson too with Mills coming in late. I think the teammates are perhaps playing better without him because Mills is uncomfortable trying to balance running the system and getting his shots and it throws things out of whack. Ubaka has that balance down pat.

Reply #337211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John,

+/- is an ordinary stat. David Cooper led the 36ers in that stat one season, he was basically a human victory cigar.

Reply #337213 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The +/- stat is most effective when it used to look at the 5 players on the court as a whole, rather than individuals.

Reply #337216 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

He reminds me of a ball hog i used to play basketball with in under 12s

Reply #337223 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Interesting stat.

The 4th quarter against the Kings needs to be included as does the Breakers game to see where he is truly at. Every player in the league has hot and cold streaks, thats basketball, every minute has to be included.

The stat will more than likely improve dramatically though. NZ, Perth & Sydney were all tipped to finish top 5 this season. All 3 also have probably the most disruptive defense's in the league. Bruce & Cooper, Martin & Robbins, Jackson with Vukona, Boucher & Anthony trapping.

When the Tigers start taking on the weaker teams, Mills will show his class.

Reply #337226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His overall +/- stat is -18. In the fourth quarter against Sydney he was +18 and the third v Wollongong was +11. Impressive stuff and a lot to do with him directly.

Take those quarters out and it looks bad (-47 in 117 mins, team without him is +19 in 25mins), though it is too early to form a definitive conclusion on +/1 IMO. I think most agree he isnt playing to potential though and could be used better. Tigers are still a work in progress.

Reply #337228 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I can't really see how the Tigers are hurting through Mills being there. Sure his defense isn't the greatest in the world but just him being there seems to be bringing out something extra in his team mates.

To me its not just about the numbers he's putting up. Sure he's currently 2nd in the NBL in scoring but stats don't tell the whole story. Whether he's on court or sitting on the bench, just him being there is having a positive affect on the Tigers who are currently 3rd on the ladder.

The way I see it, just because Patty Mills is a current NBA player that doesn't automatically mean that he is going to dominate the NBL in a way few others have before, though that is what some people have been expecting of him, and TBH I'm not sure of Mills is totally capable of that. And just remember, he's come into a new environment and has to adapt to the way Gleeson runs things (as do the other Tigers Gleeson hasn't coached before). Both the Tigers and Mills have had to adapt to each other and IMO they are currently doing an ok job of things.

Reply #337239 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

Gee the Tall Poppy Syndrome is alive & well in SA! FFS Patty has chosen to play in the NBL (could have played in Europe for 3 times the $$$) & give us the chance to see his considerable talent up close & personal. Everyone is quick to point out his areas of improvement but very few praise his strengths. Patty will tell you himself that he is still a work in progress & he needs to continue to improve his basketball skill set as well as his shot selection. This could be the only time we see Patty in the NBL so instead of creating crap subject topics to tear Patty down why dont we just appreciate Patty for what is!!

Reply #337259 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

We are just being consistent, we slag off everyone else so why not Mills?

Reply #337275 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Nailed it CP3

Reply #337320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

steve carfino needs to stop sucking his cock.

whatever mills does, carfino is in awe.

he makes an easy layup & carfino says "i know that was an easy shot but he made it lok easy"

wtf?

Reply #337542 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Tigers keep winning. Enough said!

Reply #337566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game from Mills tonight - it's a pleasure to watch him playing in this league.

Reply #337569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills is just a level above the NBL as he's showing.

Reply #337571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he can do it against Cairns. They are a tough team on d and if he can blow them away that would be something else.

Reply #337573 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If he played like last nights game every game then I will change my tone, which it looks like progressively he is moving towards. So good on him.

I still think Melbourne will be fine without him though. Maybe not as much of an offensive threat since the focus wont be on him but still they will be a good team.

Reply #337576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think last night's game is enough to judge either way, Sydney were putrid. Patty was great, but we already know he can be great and he has been great in patches already.

What we are waiting to see is if he can produce close to his best form - which is as good as any Aussie not named Bogut - consistently against good teams. So far against Perth and New Zealand he was average.

I hope he can produce last night's form against good teams, that would be fantastic to watch because he is so dynamic when he is on. It would also be a good sign for the Boomers if this regular playing time leads to more consistency.

Cairns on Sunday, Townsville next week and Perth the following week should be good tests. I cant wait, and I bet Patty cant either!

Reply #337577 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was me above BTW. Forgot to put my name in.

Reply #337578 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Pat is great for the NBL and Tigers you idiots.
You monkeys dont know shit! Quoting your stupid stats to make
it look like you all know the game.Does anyone have anything good to say about anyone? I cant believe some of this crap is allowed to be posted
from so many jealous losers.
Watch what happens to the Tigers when he goes back to the NBA
You stupid f__ks, look at the teams record.
Jt

Reply #338113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the season cumulative +/- to date for the Tigers (first number is their rank in the league). Mills is doing pretty well, though they are equal top (5-2) and he plays a lot of minutes. Still, not quite a cancerous +/-.

12. Daryl Corletto (+37) (Oh yeah, oops, no longer with Tigers...)
18. Tom Greer (+30)
20. Patrick Mills (+29)
24. Cameron Tragardh (+26)
25. Daniel Dillon (+24)
31. Liam Rush (+15)
33. Ayinde Ubaka (+14)
34. Ron Dorsey (+11)
36. Matthew Burston (+11)
54. Lucas Walker (-1)
76. Benny Lewis (-14)

Reply #338744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The last three games he is +47. He has really turned his +/- around since he has become a distributor, and a very good one at that.

Reply #338749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting to note that after he dished off his ninth assist midway through the third quarter (wow!) the Tigers were outscored 50-33 - Mills 2/10 with one assist after that. When he is creating for teammates the Tigers are incredibly hard to guard, but perhaps not quite so good when he is creating shots for himself.

Reply #338752 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Agree Paul, since he has started to distribute more he looks better as do the Tigers.

Tom Greer at the top of the list doesn't surprise me.

Why was he taken out in OT against the Crocs? Other than Trigger he was the next best scoring option and was playing good D.

Bennie Lewis needs to get his head in the game, comes out with heaps of energy on the offensive end then just has random brain fades on the defensive end which lead to easy baskets.

Reply #338767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Definitely agree re Tommy. On fire at the moment. Him knocking down those open shots makes the Tigers a different proposition, you cant sag off him to cover Mills and Ubaka. On top of that he provides the real grunt and the word that rhymes with grunt that every team needs.

Reply #338769 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

runt?

Reply #338770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754