Whitey
Years ago

36ers

Now the sixers have the perth and NZ road trips out of the way.

How competitive will they be for the rest of the season?

To beat perth at home and give the breakers a good run in NZ, shows great form.

Is simpson/weigh the answer to their growth?

Topic #26739 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Growth? Is that a typo?

Reply #337686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As in improvement.

Reply #337691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good run? The Breakers were up by 20+ at H/T.

Reply #337692 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers played out of their skin in the first half and pretty much everything was coming off for them, Sixers did well to climb back in it.

Reply #337693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just looking at the ladder
If Adel get the win over Syd and the gong,tville, GC and Cairns go down which is likely
I think that puts the 6ers in 5th place!!

Reply #337704 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The performance of Sydney , on Friday was sub NBL standard. I even saw one of their players try to do a floater which was just a lob into the hands of one of the Tigers. For a moment during that performance I thought if the 36ers cain't beat this , then , some should think about retiring from the NBL.

Reply #337708 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The NBL table has the top 3 spots covered by NZ, Perth and Melbourne, all of whom have no excuse not to be good.

When you consider there is only 1 game between a finals spot and bottom, it's still pretty close. The Sixers should make the most of their chances in the next 3 games, but road wins are the key to snatching a playoff. There has been some positives in the last two games that should continue.

Reply #337709 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

It's crazy to think about the last time the sixers were in the playoffs and even more so the last time they played a playoff game at the Dome! Getting to see any of the NBL finals (semi's, prelim's etc) live here in Adelaide seems like such a distant luxury..

Reply #337718 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

1 game at a time. We can't get ahead of ourselves

Reply #337742 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sydney were pathetic in two televised games I've viewed (NZ and Tigers). Their guards looked out of control and unorganised.

Their win against Adelaide was the best I've seen the Kings play since their return to the league and I still cannot understand how the result was so lop-sided in Sydney's favour.

My opinion of the Sixer's performances against Perth and NZ (the latter strongly influenced by Mystro's repeated insistance that Sixers outplayed the Breakers in the 2nd half) is of pride and growing respect and has me on the verge of believing the losses to Perth and Sydney were more timing related than lack of application by the Sixers.

A win by the Sixers on Saturday is a must for so many reasons.

Reply #337743 | Report this post

MV_7  
Years ago

I reckon Daniel Johnson has something to do with the 36ers playing some good ball. Against Perth he was a standout, aside from Greg Hire for Perth who came alive from nowhere!

If Johnson can continue to score and grab the boards and the rest of the team can chip in with the 3-ball (e.g. the Doctor, Weigh) then they could be a major suprise.

Reply #337750 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The big difference between the start of the season and now is we finally have a settled lineup.
Ballinger is getting back to match fitness.
Simpson is finding his role in the team.
Crosswell has made a big difference since he came back.
Herbert is starting to make some shots.
We don't need Helliwell for big minutes anymore.
Johnson is being used as the go to guy.
Creek seems to have less of a leash and has made his way into the starting 5.
Warren has more protection with more options on the court rather than then being able to double him every time.
Weigh is a similar story to Warren. More offensive threats, so less defensive pressure.

I really can't see us losing to Sydney. We are better than them and as long as we keep Khazzouh and Bruce relatively quiet we shouldn't lose.

Reply #337758 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Sixers D looked good when they were aggressive and up on their man making people work to even pass the ball around the top. They just have to limit their fouls early so they aren't digging a hole with key players on the bench in foul trouble

Reply #337782 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers have definitely improved, of that there is no question. HOWEVER, while I'm glad we have and I believe we're a better than average chance of toppling Sydney on Saturday night, just remember that most of our 'comeback' against the Breakers was when they were in cruise mode. Once they needed to put a stop to it I noticed it didn't take them long to do so.

The good thing though was that despite everything it would have boosted the players confidence which can only be a good thing.

I notice not so many are bagging Herbert this week. Amazing what landing a last gasp 3 will do for opinions of a guy :P

One question. What's with Grant Chapman's headline of "Wilkinson shines as Breakers thrash 36ers". Did he write that at half time??

Reply #337844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Editors write headlines, not journalists. It got changed pretty quick the next morning I noticed.

Reply #337848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time the 36ers were in the playoffs was the epic elimination final against Cairns where we unfortunately lost to an Anthony Stewart buzzer beating three in OT wasn't it?

Reply #337873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost to NZ in Auckland by 28 I think. 2009.

Reply #337876 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Anyone concerned about Simpson's fitness could be pleased to hear that he's lost 4kgs.
One of our players was injured at training today.
I rang The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for more information

Reply #337951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was Simpson, just a few stiches in the jaw

Reply #337956 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , I told Halliwell to slow down a bit at training.

Reply #337957 | Report this post

IKE  
Years ago

Centrebet are a bit worried about the 36ers have moved them to 5th @ 17.00

Reply #338052 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

The Kings are real bad team with a bad coach and l still cant believe they beat us 2 weeks ago. But we will beat them this time. We will not be the bottom team this year.
Jt

Reply #338112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754