ringlord
Years ago

When did most SA clubs peak in numbers?

How many teams did the Eastern Mavericks/Torrens valley Cougars/Central Districts field at their peak?And roughly when also if info available? Actually stats on any other club would be greatly appreciated.

Topic #26747 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

before they were pillage by magic.
Ringlord what motivates you ?
Stats on any particular club come to mind ?

Reply #337781 | Report this post

Years ago

i can recall woodville having 3 teams in just about every age group (bar u10s and u20s) - usually div 1-2-3. This was around 2002/3

best I can recall with mavericks was 2 teams per age grade - usually div 1 and 2 - occasionally a Div 3 third team.

Mavs have seemed down a few teams the last 5 years - so the best I can recall would be late 90's-2006

Torrens Valley at once stage had around 4 div 3-4-5 girls teams and about 6 boys teams early 2000's.
their boys teams numbers stayed around the same but girls dropped right off.

Reply #337787 | Report this post

Years ago

centrals seem to be around their equal best right now

Reply #337789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think Forestville and Sturt would be at their peak now.

Reply #337803 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

Sturt have lost a lot of numbers this season IMO
but forestville would still be up there

Reply #337809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt haven't lost numbers. They just don't play District they play Domestic at Unley.

Reply #337812 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

To anon;for starters a woman in tight jeans really motivates me,any club stats would do since i didn't live in Adelaide most of my life & are you referring to Magic pillaging the cougars maybe?Tried pulling a hand of peace to Warriors with last weeks topic and it wasn't very successful.

Reply #337821 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Early 2000s

Reply #337828 | Report this post

Years ago

When did most clubs peak in numbers?

i saw a player wear number 99 once - so that was a number peak for me.

Reply #337847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season Forestville has 47 junior teams. This would be a high for them I think.

Sturt has 42 teams in district but also has 15 team running around at Unley. So in essence has 57 junior teams.

Reply #337913 | Report this post

ha ha  
Years ago

Western Magic had 35 teams 2 seasons ago!

Reply #337986 | Report this post

Years ago

quantity does not equal quality - mavs are a testament to that

Reply #337987 | Report this post

Hi guys,

Reading through the many threads associated with club bashing I am very disappointed that these kids are still being the casualties of this political issue. I thought that I would add that I have experienced the small club dilemma personally.

As a youth I played at St Bernards in a strong social competition and was recruited by Torrens Valley. I played through juniors and was lucky enough to have a couple of seasons in division 1 as a junior due to the strength of the team I played in.

Mr Green and the committee took up many battles with BASA to no avail and we were often told to send the quality kids to member clubs to play division 1. We all clung to hope that we were doing the right thing and fought our cause to become a member club ourselves.

Now after playing and coaching for 15 years at Torrens Valley I am involved with the merger with Woodville. Former Cougar players I am involved with love it and we are integrating with Woodville nicely.

My advice to the Magic is not to hold back these kids, push this association through, and develop everyone including coaches to maintain high standards for basketball. Do not worry about what uniform these kids wear, the talented ones get playing division 1 at West or at Woodville or wherever it is that they can be coached into being better players.

There is a massive shortage of quality coaches in this state also. Whilst talent of these kids is undoubted are small clubs pushing hard for development of coaches. At Torrens Valley often the coaches were parents. Until there is a total club foundation at these small clubs which includes more than one team in each age group both male and female, a functioning and financial committee and quality coaches, as well as on court results it is only then that BASA will have opportunity to grant membership and division 1 status. Until them the strugglers resemble the small club I came from, trying hard but not cutting the mustard.

Member clubs currently are struggling because of player shortages and not having quality coaches. This is happening at Woodville with the females. Surely opportunity exists for reasonable adults to enquire about their children going to a member club and providing mutual benefit for players and club.

End Rant.

Reply #338182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If that's your debut on Hoops, nice post to start with ATVE!

Reply #338189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754