HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 5

Ok, here we go again. No free beer as the Cat wasn't available to shoot from half way and I sadly missed. However, promoters discretion, I award myself a beer :P

Breakers vs 36ers - 2,893 @ NSEC (70%)
Kings vs Tigers - 6,010 @ SEC (57%)
Wildcats vs Hawks - 'about' 4,000 @ CS (89%)
Tigers vs Taipans - 3,030 @ SNC (87%)

Round Attendance - 15,933 (70% of 22,631) [NSEC 4,114 - SEC 10,517 - CS 4,500 - SNC 3,500]
Round Average Attendance - 3,983.25

What can I say about the crowd in Auckland on Thursday? Agree with me or not but for a game where they are unveiling their 2010-11 championship banner and retiring Paul Hanare's #32, 2,893 is a rather piss poor crowd IMO, especially after getting a NZ record crowd at Vector the previous week. I know it was on a Thursday but most of the Breakers home games are so no excuse there. And don't give me any crap about the RWC affecting crowds, that finished 2 weeks ago. Is playing the bottom team an excuse?

Kings/Tigers was probably as expected though I got the feeling during the telecast that the NBL and Kings might have been hoping for at least 7,000 (Gaze alluded to this many times in commentary).

Wildcats crowds seem to be sliding at about 250 people a week. But still, 4,000 isn't bad, especially against the Hawks. I doubt the slide will continue for very long, especially if the Wildcats keep winning.

Is the Patty Mills attraction starting to wear off? First home game for Melbourne that wasn't a sellout at what is the NBL's smallest current venue (or if it was a sellout then 470 people didn't show). The Tigers are the one team right now that you would expect to be able to fill their 3,500 seat venue, especially with a current NBA player, and an Aussie at that, on their playing roster.

Topic #26750 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not that the Patty Mills effect is wearing off, the timing of the game on a sunday was a nuisance and the stadium isn't in an ideal location for basketball in Melbourne, they could get 6000-7000 maybe 8000+ in Eastern Melbourne on some games.

Reply #337842 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I thought that there was more people at the Wildcats game this week than there was last week. Just comparing empty seats.

Also read that it was standing only tickets left both weeks. So maybe there were more people moving into the empty seats this week compared to the week before.

Will be interesting to see the turnout next season when (if) Perth Arena is finished. Probably get some decent games at the start when people are curious about the new stadium and hopefully have alot of Friday games to lure down the people who work in the city.

Reply #337851 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The only places in Melbourne capable of holding that indoors these days are Rod Laver & Hisense Arena's and the Tigers won't play there with what they want to charge to host games.

In a way with the SNC the Tigers are in a no win situation. They've got themselves the best venue they can afford, albeit a small one, but its location isn't ideal. They know they could draw more elsewhere but the cost of playing elsewhere outweighs what they would make from it. At least at the Netball Centre they can make some sort of game day profit.

Reply #337852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings for Round 5:

Round 5
Fri - Sydney Kings v Melbourne Tigers, 30,000
Sat - Perth Wildcats v Wollongong Hawks, 15,000 (1.10am broadcast)
Sun - Melbourne Tigers v Cairns Taipans, N/A (1.15am broadcast)

http://www.michaeldifabrizio.com/nbl-tv-ratings

Reply #337855 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks for the TV ratings add Anon :)

The NBL was hurt by the late timeslot but what could One do? One are contracted to show MotoGP and F1 qualifying and races live.

Reply #337856 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I have been tending to watch the Breakers games live on TV rather than trek across the North Shore straight after work. The commentary is ok and the highlight replays are decent

Reply #337860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're also contracted to show NBL games within 3 hours but that doesn't seem to matter.

Reply #337866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holden V8, the racing started at 1130, the Sunday night game started at 730, plenty of time for Ten to have shown that on one of their three channels.

The Saturday night game was close to the three hour clause because it was in Perth. That 15K figure doesnt include recorded viewings, I think youll find the final figure is a lot higher than that.

Reply #337868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would end up over the course of the week being slightly higher as 7 day PVR views are added but certainly not a lot higher.

Reply #337922 | Report this post

Davoids  
Years ago

Wildcats game was sold out, so a lot of people who had tickets musn't have turned up, me included.

*face embarrassed*

Reply #337947 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Anon (# 337868), I don't think OneHD could have shown the game earlier. Its not just the MotoGP class that One has paid a LOT more money for than their deal with the NBL would be worth. They show the 125 and Moto2 races live as well as live qualifying for the top class so there really was no chance on either Saturday or Sunday that they were going to show the NBL at its usual time.

Thinking about it logically, the bikes and F1's rate higher than the NBL and One are committed to showing them live. All other programs take a back seat to that and unfortunately in this case it was the NBL. We may not like it but I doubt One have would have signed the broadcast rights contract with the NBL without reserving the right to be able to bump games to a different (in this case later) time when they are showing live events such as MotoGP and F1. Its probably why the NBL hasn't come out and said something about it, because they can't.

As for why the game wasn't shown on any of 10's free channels instead of One? You'd have to ask 10 that, I have NFI.

Reply #337948 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have said on FB this re Vector Vs Kings:

For all of you who thought it felt like there was a bigger crowd than 6,300 at Vector Arena for the openign home game - you were right! Final official ticketing reports are confirmed, there were 6,900 SKYCITY Breakers fans packing out Vector Arena that night! Great work, you just set the record crowd for a basketball game in New Zealand even higher!

Reply #338046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754