Anonymous
Years ago

NBL TV ratings better this season

Someone on Oz Hoops sent Larry Sengstock an email about the One situation and got a reply from the NBL's Marc Howard which included this bit:

It is also worth noting however that even with the later timeslots, our ratings this season are actually higher than they were last year with live games.

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showpost.php?p=313823&postcount=89

Topic #26770 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

well that explains the push to make the games even later, it seems they want a reason to can it (one that is).

however its not really that surprising. i know after work on a friday im straight to the pub or heading out, rarely sitting at home waiting for a live NBL game. but getting home later on after going to the pub to now see the game on is more appetising.

Reply #338269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just shows what a bad job one did attracting viewers last year doesnt it.

Reply #338276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I find it hard to believe. Last year, I watched games and had non-basketball friends talking about how they'd stumbled across the NBL back on TV. Met up at friends' houses to watch games, etc. This year, even though I follow two teams, I haven't watched a single game all the way through (though I was away for three weeks) - in total I think I caught the last quarter of a Hawks game and that was it.

Maybe in a later time slot, there is less competition for people just flicking around desperate for something to watch?

Reply #338280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so angry at how much this sounds and smells like total utter bullshit, that i cant even type all the responses i had. grrrrrrr *$#@!!!!!!!

Reply #338339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The ratings I have seen are pretty much the same as last year, for what it's worth Isaac.

Reply #338347 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac, sound like some big BS to me, there's no way possible the ratings have gone up this year

Reply #338371 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i also find that hard to believe.
last year i watched every live game.
this year i wouldnt even know what games are being replayed.
sometimes i accidenty catch a replay in the mornings, but already know the result so i dont even watch the whole thing anyway.
what would be the nbl motive to say the ratings are higher......kinda doesn't make sense!

Reply #338377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Youve got to remember the ratings are done on only 3000 homes, so it is hardly a reliable source. But the ratings this year are pretty much the same as last.

Reply #338379 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Perhaps the ratings are actually benefiting generally from more people watching One overall. One of the strategies of the majors is to build programming that leads into other programming. I am sure that is not One's strategy, but it would be interesting to see viewership from the shows before the NBL.

Reply #338390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the numbers are accurate, I am interested in hearing theories as to how NBL viewership could be up - e.g., like HO's suggestion, or my complete guess re competition. What else could cause it?

Reply #338406 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Maybe instead of one guy with a TV ratings box watching the NBL, we have two guys with a TV ratings box watching the NBL.

Reply #338413 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Isaac - I didn't get to watch live games last year for much the same reasons I don;t get to go to 36ers games. Friday nights is Little Athletics witht eh family, Sunday afternoon is family stuff (kids' concerts, sport, beach, etc.). Also, the kids get to watch their stuff early evening Saturday and Sunday, and that's not basketball. They outnumber me 4 to 1!

This year, I watch at least half of the Friday night game as we're home from Little Aths and the kids are in bed. I've also seen some (bits of) Saturday night games for much the same reason.

This year also, the games are on in a time slot when I tend to graze and watch whatever takes my interest. Live games are on in a time slot when people (read - my kids or whoever rules the TV in the household) have existing viewing preferences.

I also have noticed the amount and nature of discussion of this year's coverage (usually critical) on this site suggests most people who watched last year are watching this year. So you've kept the die hards and gained a few people like me as watchers.

Reply #338452 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My thought is the poor games (Melbourne and Sydney) and poor presentation reduced last year's audience to a core following who are still watching this year.

Other ideas? Overall the TV games have been much better than early last year, Mills (and Bogut talk earlier?) generating a bit more interest in the league, clubs' that have been more actively getting out in the community are generating a bit more interest. Who knows?

Hard to say, but it is good news that it is still attracting a reasonable audience and let's hope it continues through the season.

Reply #338458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA not on so people need there bball fix

Reply #338461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA would have only started last week.

Reply #338466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754