Jack Toft
Years ago

G6: Sixers v Kings

Last time the Sixers played the Violet Crumbles here, it was the Sixers that crumbled. The Sixers chained themselves to the stove and didn't even need the Kings to push it off the boat, but this time they really need to chain that stove to the Kings. Everyone seems mildly happier with the Sixers now that the team is at full strength, and Crossie is even saying they are starting to take a spoonful of cement daily, but the questions for this game are.

1. Can the Sixers re-make the Adelaide Arena a place where teams hate to visit?
2. Will the refs keep the Kings in the game? Do they purposely make bad calls just to fire the crowd up?
3. Are the "Navy Seals" really getting reformed? Do they still fit into their tops?
4. The rotations and minutes split seems much improved. Has Marty been wearing his tin foil hat?
5. What antics will Murray get up to tonight?
6. Are we glad Conrad Murray is not our team doctor?
7. Will Madge bring a load of washing home for his mum?
8. Does Aaron Bruce have an Adelaide fan club called “Brucies Babes”? Do you have to be over 40 and female to join?
9. Has Mitch sold his car yet?
10. When Skip plays “Moscow”, it’s usually a sign the Sixers have bagged a win. Will we hear Moscow played tonight?

La, la, la, la, la, HEY

Topic #26771 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

great write up as always but THE GAME IS TOMORROW (SATURDAY) NIGHT NOT TONIGHT

Reply #338329 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, my Engrish not good. When I say "tonight" I mean game night. Memo to self: get English gooder.

Reply #338338 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I still fit into my top, but it only goes on for special occasions!

Reply #338343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on you Jack Toft in trying to get some interest from a basketball site in a game only a day or so to go that not only true Sixer fans are looking forward to with optimism again but I am sure the SOS group are holding their breathe on as another disaster home game would be hard to recover from financially.
Maybe too many overseas jaunts has taken some enthusiasm out of this site or we all have become blaise or just holding back to soften impact of another crap game .
Surely all Sixer fans must go with some hope after Perth game that maybe we have turned a corner.
Wouldn't it be nice .
If

A Refs give some home court umpiring like they did in perth for Cats

B Wouldn't it be nice if we put some pressure on Kazzough and don't let him have all the rebounds.

C If Adam starts scoring freely again after his injury return

D If Diamon is really a diamond import as been a long time since.

E If new court announcer actually speaks english this week

F If Creek hit a couple of jump shots.

G If Johnson --Warren - NG etc put some real defensive pressure on

H If we had a big win at home and played with a lot of passion and Clarke was more selective in his subs and yes Leanne we would make some noise

Reply #338364 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sorry previous post by me so not trying to hide ,
forgot to log in as

Reply #338366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game on Saturday night will be live on NBL Radio.

Reply #338368 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm not sure my fragile psyche could take another beating.

Please do a win.

Reply #338373 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers are more than capable of getting the win, now if they will actually turn up for all 4 quarters is a different story.

Reply #338387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Really needs to be a convincing win. Will believe it when I see it, but the team is definitely capable of it and I am hopeful they'll achieve that. Looking forward to seeing Diamon in action for the first time.

Reply #338407 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Sixers will win by 15plus against the worst team in the league and worst coach possibly of all time!

Reply #338476 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would love to Diamon and DJ dominate the boards. Looking forward to an alley oop from Creek.

Reply #338485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here another one to add to Jack's list:

As he plays his 5th game, will Diamon Simpson finally have his name on his jersey?

"Has Mitch sold his car yet?" - LOL

Also, would love to see some dunks from Creek. He's freakishly athletic and dunked in his debut and seemed to be looking for dunks and alleys a fair bit which was great. I know there more to the game than that but hes a crazy dunker so would be great to see what he can do a bit more often.

Reply #338489 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

get your asses there tonight
we will pump em by 18+

:S

Reply #338491 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, I'll add it next week if it's not on there tonight. Can a team use masking tape?

Reply #338494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the deal with tickets tonight. Facebook page suggests there are only a few tickets left.....surely not?

Reply #338499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, it's limited to how many they can sell.

Reply #338509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word is aaron bruce is injured yet still playing.. good news for sixers since he is the kings only other scoring option besides khazzouh

Reply #338514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stream?

Reply #338516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Syd by 9!!!

Reply #338517 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

livestat down?

Reply #338524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get the wooden spoons out adelaide!!

Reply #338526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a very entertaining game from the NBL radio call... speaking of which, as a Kings fan, very happy to hear some pretty even calling from Steven King, great effort to call it pretty evenly...

Great to hear what the most knowledgeable crowd in the NBL thought about it when everyone gets home ;)

Reply #338530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 adelaide turnover inside the last 2 minutes of overtime..... surely someone has some bets on from the 6ers

Reply #338535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make that 4!!

simpson
weigh
crosswell
warren

all new players to the 6ers this year and already caught the 'inability to win' disease

Reply #338536 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Going by the scores, it would seem we still can't defend. We're giving up around 99 points per game...in 40 minutes. That has to change or we'l be looking up at everyone else above us on the table for the rest of the season.

I'll be interested to hear from the folk who made it to the game as to how we can fix that part of our game.

Reply #338538 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

wow... looks like NO team had much of an idea about defence tonight...

Still, the commentators seemed to have enjoyed themselves, which is usually a good sign...

Great effort from the returning Dann and Ratzsch seems to have saved his job with this effort...

Sounded like half the stadium wanted to get to their cars early in the OT, so people should be getting home around about now, surely?

Will we hear "Give Marty the noose!" or comments about players being the reason?

Reply #338539 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

We have lost again to Syney at home. I was wrong
but we are in serious trouble. THis guy is struggling to coach at this level.
Cant believe it

Reply #338540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They win what they should lose and lose what they should win - no surprises because they are mince in a steak world.

Reply #338542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the game and the grey headed ref cost u's the game. Julian Should have been fouled out before ot. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching him play but he is a protected specie.

Reply #338544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were not even mince. Were the shit on the floor that makes sausages

Reply #338545 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Where do I start about the chosen one, the umpires pet, the messiah, Julian 'Can't Touch This' Khazzouh?

How do I describe drive into 3 on 1 then shit your pants, throw it away Nathan Crosswell?

Do we understand the notion of trying to limit your oppositions total, so you don't have to put up 100+ to win?

Does Madgen really need to play for the foul every time he gets it?

How does a woeful effort like that still mean 18 points for Bruce?

Is there something about red, blue and yellow clothes that makes the wearer just completely forget what they are doing when It's there to be won?

How can we be so much worse at home instead of away?

Crosswell won us the game against Perth, are we even now?

Couldn't Ratzsch have stayed shit for 1 more week before proving he can make it in this league.

How can Luke Cooper be allowed to stroll on in for the layup any time he feels like it?

Reply #338547 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Where do I start about the chosen one, the umpires pet, the messiah, Julian 'Can't Touch This' Khazzouh?

How do I describe drive into 3 on 1 then shit your pants, throw it away Nathan Crosswell?

Do we understand the notion of trying to limit your oppositions total, so you don't have to put up 100+ to win?

Does Madgen really need to play for the foul every time he gets it?

How does a woeful effort like that still mean 18 points for Bruce?

Is there something about red, blue and yellow clothes that makes the wearer just completely forget what they are doing when It's there to be won?

How can we be so much worse at home instead of away?

Crosswell won us the game against Perth, are we even now?

Couldn't Ratzsch have stayed shit for 1 more week before proving he can make it in this league.

How can Luke Cooper be allowed to stroll on in for the layup any time he feels like it?

Reply #338548 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Had to wait in line finally got to the ticket box after the game started and all the cheaper tickets apparently sold out, so then paid double the price and when I got in many of the cheaper stadium seats behind the goals were empty! disappointing and disappointing loss!!

Reply #338549 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Split my sides when a guy near me called the old ref "Grandpa Simpson"!

Reply #338567 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

I can only assume that Simpson was injured because I think he only played 4 mins in the second half when he was needed as a mainstay player.

Weigh is taking some flak but not his fault he was simply given weigh too many minutes.

Was Ballanger fully fit and if so why didnt he start in place of Weigh. He wound up playing like he hadnt warmed up for most of the game.

Terrible starting five combinations for 3rd and 4th quarters.

Ng used poorly

Reply #338568 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why does Darren Ng start the last quarter and play 4 minutes of it when he didn't get any minutes in the 3rd quarter? Why not start your best team to start the quarter with Momentuem!!!! I have been harsh on Herbert this season but this game he actually looked confident and should have had more minutes.

Crosswell did exceptional against perth and helped us win us the game but that does not mean you give him the ball to run the team for the whole 4th quarter and OT. There was a reason he was coming off the bench for Townsville. Warren could not get the ball playing shooting guard so you make him point guard to make sure he gets the ball. You don't have crosswell running around there with stagnant offense.

Weigh continues to show what an over priced pussy he is. Brad Hill is welcome to come back, he was probably on half the amount of money weigh is on and would give a better performance if he was getting the same time as Weigh. However, since weigh is the coaches pet he still gets big minutes. His strength should be driving not just jacking up 3's. Most of the game he isn't a threat on offense when really he should be one of our main offensive threats. His defense is shocking also Madgen destroyed him tonight.

Why is Simpson only getting 18 minutes? Perhaps he should do nothing and get 35 minutes like Weigh usually gets. Why not try him at small forward, he might not be quick enough to always run with Madgen but he has long arms so could contest his shots. Furthermore, how is Madgen going to guard him in the post it is a huge mismatch there but that would be asking too much of the Sixers coaching staff to take advantage of a mismatch.

The umpires made some bad calls but I don't think it impacted the result. In an important point in OT Warren lost the ball and then dived on the back of Cooper and should have been a foul which would have resulted in 2 shots. So the bad calls went both ways.

This was a game the Sixers should have won. Sydney were without Bose, Dann back for his first game, Sydney with two average imports, apparently Bruce under an injury cloud and we still couldn't win. Tigers, Gold Coast and Perth in the next three weeks. So it is looking like 1-8. This 3 year plan is going great and Clarke is such a good coach.

Reply #338569 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I went to the game too. We looked pretty good in the 1st and 3rd quarters but struggled in the 2nd, 4th and OT.

I'd say two key things stood out for me:

1) We really struggled defending their dribble penetration and that was getting their bigs soooo many easy put-backs because both our bigs would be trying to stop the guard's shot, not boxing out their man.

2) When the pressure was on in the 4th and OT, our guys couldn't seem to agree on what play they should be running. Crosswell would be gesturing to players to tell them what he wanted, and other players were gesturing for something else. Consequently nothing would happen and Nate or Rabbit wound up dribbling around futilely on the perimeter waiting for some player movement, a screen, ANYTHING to help them develop a play.

Other comments:

1) Young heads and some horrible refereeing decisions late in the game also hurt the Sixers chances (but don't get me wrong, Sydney outplayed us in the 4th and OT and deserved the win).

2) DJ is the best offensive weapon on this team by a long way. Needed to toughen up a bit late in the game though when the refs decided to swallow their whistles.

3) Offensively Warren was good again with his sweet shooting and 7 assists; Diamon solid again, though his minutes were cut short because of that face-plant he did in the 3rd quarter; Creek was good but needed to play much more and needs to back himself when he is left wide open instead of hesitating or passing off.

Disappointing to go down at home again, but we did play well for good stretches of this game and I feel like we at least have some good talent on the team now, which makes a nice change from the last few years.

Reply #338574 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

good lord
what crap that was

lets sit the import on the bench in clutch time

win by 18
wtf was i thinking

clarke
i think you might not be around next year if this continues

Reply #338577 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

simpson wasnt injuried
as in not able to play
he split his chin but came back out after a few mins and sat ont he pine for the next 4 or more
finally the games gone and clarke decides (little to late) to bring him on
we stand and clap giving a bronx cheer
and he grabs an off and def board

great work clarke
too slow in making the decisions imo

Reply #338578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke is a great development coach and he has picked a team with real depth this year. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to know how to use his best offensive and defensive weapons. Player rotations were better this week, but why is an import (Simpson) who obviously has an impact at both ends only playing 18 min when Weigh who played more than 30 had a minimal impact? Clarke does not know how to close a game. OT starting 5 should have been the best performers, but no and we lost, surprise surprise. Clarke needs to be demoted to assistant(at least)if not sacked. Even Ninnis had a better win/loss record. C'mon SOS, Don't completely destroy this once great club, what are you waiting for?

Reply #338621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am seriously thinking Ballinger is a huge liability as well. Shooting % was ordinary and let's no forget he had the opportunity on the last play in regular time to win in, but instead of driving it hard for the layup or foul, he choked.

Reply #338623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worst defensive and rebounding sixers team ever.

Reply #338627 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Beantown good poster and usually judge but mate Creek played well how about those open shots he missed 1 did not go near the rim .
Where the hill is some bl----y defence .
Weigh -- Warren-- Creek over rated
What the hell has happened to Ballinger had a open close shot passed to win game with no O.T, but passed it out .
What was the story with Simpson eh Marty
can't believe whats happening

Reply #338709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

+/- for the game:

Adelaide

• Mitchell Creek (6)
  • Diamon Simpson (1)
  • Nathan Herbert (1)
  • Darren Ng (-4)
  • Adam Ballinger (-5)
  • Wade Helliwell (-6)
  • Daniel Johnson (-8)
  • Chris Warren (-9)
  • Nathan Crosswell (-10)
  • Stephen Weigh (-11)

Sydney
  • Kevin Ratzsch (14)
  • Julian Khazzouh (12)
  • Graeme Dann (10)
  • Aaron Bruce (8)
  • Luke Cooper (8)
  • Jerai Grant (3)
  • Luke Martin (-1)
  • Martin Iti (-2)
  • Alex Gynes (-3)
  • Ben Madgen (-4)

Interesting that Madgen is so low given it seemed that he really damaged us. May have been off for a couple of key runs or the FT-fest from Bruce at the end?

Reply #338742 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

So not trying to tell me Creek played a better game than DJ on sat night surely

Reply #338747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, of course not. Why would you think I was trying to do anything but post data from which people can draw their own conclusions?! It's like looking at Bruce's FTs from the game and thinking he had a big impact - that just came down to being the guy holding the ball once Adelaide were forced to foul. +/- is just another thing to consider.

Just think of it like the NBL putting up a boxscore. Just data.

Reply #338750 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Well, not really... Boxscores are an accurate (most times) tally of data, the +/- is an interpretation :)

Besides, I don't get that +/- thing, as I could formulate any sort of equation, but if whatever it is gets a result for a player with Madgen's stats, that are worse than someone with Gynes' stat line, then I think the data is faulty :)

Reply #338755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It definitely needs to be considered alongside other info (stats, personal observations etc) and not stand alone, but it is definitely another valuable stat.

If a team is regularly outscored with a particular player or group of players on the court that is worth knowing and exploring. Do they bog down the offence? Does their opponent score on them? Do they miss rotations?

Reply #338756 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Why do we bring Ng in, let him hit 2 threes and then sit him down again? How you don't let one of the better shooters in the league get a run when you are down in OT is beyond me.

Before anyone screams liability in defense, check the scoreboard. Is Ng worse then anyone else?

Reply #338772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wookiee, huh? How is +/- not a tally of data? A tally is exactly what it is. You add or subtract (i.e., tally) the net score for a player while they're on court.

An interpretation might be a particular method of calculating efficiency or some form of tendex-style rating which ascribes some particular value to a given stat.

Obviously, like half the stats on a boxscore, +/- isn't everything and is generally more useful on a broader scale, but that should go without saying.

Reply #338816 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Why do people always see the +/- and think it's an attempt at an overall effectiveness rating? Is it that hard a statistic to grasp?

Reply #338819 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

My apologies, Isaac, I got it confused with something else as I have had my head buried in fantasy basketball stats all week :)

Reply #338875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, all of those sorts of fantasy stats can be considered interpretations, but even those are pretty useful - efficiency, the old HSA rank I did based on The Sporting News fantasy scoring, and so on. IMO, anything that shows the value of a guy like Boucher (which a boxscore doesn't always) has some use. He's a perfect example of that non-scoring, reliable defender, good teammate type that coaches love.

Right now, Boucher is +53 for the season, good for fourth in the league. Here's the top ten:

1. Shawn Redhage (+71)
2. Brad Robbins (+57)
3. Kevin Lisch (+56)
4. Dillon Boucher (+53)
5. Thomas Abercrombie (+53)
6. Gary Wilkinson (+52)
7. Cj Bruton (+44)
8. Cedric Jackson (+43)
9. Todd Blanchfield (+39)
10. Alex Pledger (+38)

People question Greer as Tigers captain, but he's the top Tiger in +/-.

Bottom five shows you the impact of those first two Sixers thrashings and the big minutes played by those guys who've started each game for Adelaide.

103. Luke Cooper (-58)
104. Chris Warren (-66)
105. Daniel Johnson (-68)
106. Tyson Demos (-74)
107. Stephen Weigh (-79)

Coenraad who ranked awfully last year is doing much better this time around.

Saville at -4 shows the tough start for Wollongong. He was over 200+ IIRC last season.

Reply #338879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754