Anonymous
Years ago

NBA players reject latest offer

Players union have rejected the owners latest offer and will sue the NBA.

So this means the season is basically over.

Should we expect some players to head to the NBL?

Topic #26812 | Report this topic

DJ75  
Years ago

If the NBA season does get cancelled, the NBL should get very active in trying to entice the players.
It is a most unusual situation and could be the type of boost for the NBL that will only occur once.

I would hope the NBL would open up the import rules and really assist clubs in attracting players.

Imagine LeBron and Wade suiting up together for the 36ers! Unlikely those two, but an influx of 8 - 10 legit NBA players could be MASSIVE for the NBL. Attendances would sky rocket, One HD might actually show the games and the media coverage in general would be huge. The NBL games would become the hottest tickets in town.

I would love to see it happen!

Reply #338880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Dj5

Reply #338883 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Something I have read is that with the players going down the dercertification road is it makes all player contracts void. Don't know how true this is but as one reporter pointed out OKC wouldn't be to excited if Durant can get out of his contract.

If they also lose this season it will be interesting for the olympics next year as I can't see them trying to fix it soonish if the season is gone so maybe no NBA players in the olympics.

Reply #338886 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Might want to update the title of the thread as the NBA season has not been cancelled as yet.

If it is cancelled will be interesting to see if Bogut will still sit it out

Reply #338888 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Dont think it will have much of an impact on the NBL other than Patty staying for the whole season.

Why would the NBL just say to hell with the rules we are so strict on just to sell a few seats? The salary cap and points would need to be lifted but not that many teams would have the coin to attract the big names that would bring media coverage (in australia) anyway.

You might see some current imports being replaced with some fringe players or bench warmers that only die hard basketball fans would acknowledge.

And Unless Bogut has changed his mind and willing to play uninsured I wouldnt expect to see him suiting up either. Even if all sh!t hits the fan and all contract are voided, he will still have a new multi million dollar contract waiting, why risk it.

I think what will happen is alot more NBA players will be looking to europe. Or exhibition tours, which hopefully will come our way.

Reply #338897 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think the players have to get a favourable ruling in court before contracts become void but let's hope just the threat of that is enough to make the owners propose a better deal.

Reply #338898 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

The NBL will not be able to recruit any more NBA players because it's the NBL and the NBL doesn't take advantage of opportunities by bending the rules.

Reply #338911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i second what curtley said

Reply #338921 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Players not accepting 50% off all profits ?I don't get it what do they want,no league in the world gets a piece of the pie that large!

Reply #338955 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

System issues.
New proposal would limit player movement.
As they have given up 7% BRI, they feel they shouldn't have to give on the system as well.
Small market owners don't want to get bent over like what LeBron, Bosh and to a lesser extent Melo did to them.
Both sides share blame.
Owners will win tho. Players will miss a years pay and sign a worse proposal next year.

Reply #338957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

greed its a sad thing

Reply #338969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sick of the players getting called greedy. They should get more than 50% bri. Just think about it, the cavs would have lost millions in advertising, attendance, etc when Lebron left. If there owner left, who would care? The players should take this to court! Not that anyone here was calling them greedy, i just wanted a rant.

Reply #338980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sick of the players getting called greedy. They should get more than 50% bri. Just think about it, the cavs would have lost millions in advertising, attendance, etc when Lebron left. If there owner left, who would care? The players should take this to court! Not that anyone here was calling them greedy, i just wanted a rant.

Reply #338981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #338982 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Anon if the owners left the players wouldn't have a team to play for and would be at best make 1-2 mill a year in Europe. IMO they should split it 50 -50 and just get on with it, don't forget players 50% goes staight into their pockets (minus tax), whereas owners still have to pay for admin staff, advertising, training facilities etc. No wonder owners losing money want a better deal, whats the point in running a business at loss just to apease players and their massive egos and paychecks.

Reply #338987 | Report this post

American Woman  
Years ago

At least Bogut's got a singing career to fall back on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqfpkTTy2w

Reply #339000 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Followers ,the NFL filed an antitrust lawsuit against its league and won.The dispute was resolved on time,the lawyers representing the NBA players screwed them big time.NEED BEFORE GREED FELLAS!

Reply #339029 | Report this post

Davoids  
Years ago

Followers ,the NFL filed an antitrust lawsuit against its league and won.The dispute was resolved on time,the lawyers representing the NBA players screwed them big time.NEED BEFORE GREED FELLAS!

This happened on July 1 when the agreement lapsed, not 4 months later than they should have!

Reply #339042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754