Hendo8888
Years ago

NBL Top 30

MM has named his top 5 Point Guards of all time and honorable mentions.

POINT GUARD 1. Ricky Grace (Perth Wildcats) The 'Amazing One' was the best floor leader this country has ever seen. Tough, quick, great vision, brilliant passer, super on-ball defender, made everyone around him better. Just a flat-out winner - four NBL titles and a host of awards says it all.

2. Phil Smyth (St Kilda Saints/Canberra Cannons/Adelaide 36ers/Sydney Kings) He was the John Stockton of his generation – albeit with the world’s worst combover. Just kidding, General. You won’t get much of an argument that he was the greatest Australian point guard ever. Led the Canberra Cannons to three titles and was a part of a legendary backcourt with Herb ‘the Snake’ McEachin.

3. Darryl McDonald (North Melbourne Giants/Victoria Titans/Victoria Giants/Melbourne Tigers) Brought his game honed on the streets of New York and tore apart the NBL for a decade. Was so good he made Paul Rees a Finals MVP, for God’s sake. And he was still destroying folks into his late 30s. One of the most naturally gifted ballplayers I’ve ever seen.

4. Shane Heal (Brisbane Bullets/Geelong Supercats/Sydney Kings/South Dragons/Gold Coast Blaze) Tangled with Charles Barkley and loved to stick it to fans in every arena he played in. Explosive, charismatic and ultra-competitive. A superstar in every sense of the word who was maybe the greatest ‘Love him or Hate him’ player the league has ever seen.

5. Derek Rucker (Brisbane Bullets/Townsville Suns/West Sydney Razorbacks) This was a toss-up between D-Ruck and Calvin ‘The Black Pearl’ Bruton, who was a sub-six foot superstar and one of the league’s pioneers, but Rucker was an outstanding scoring point guard and won League MVP in 1990. Had unlimited range and supreme quickness in his prime.

Honourable mention (in no particular order): Cal Bruton, Steve Carfino, Doug Overton, CJ Bruton, Darnell Mee, Andre Le Fleur, Butch Hays

Can't really argue with the list.
I'm assuming Maher is considered a Shooting Guard?
Ricky Grace would be my number 1 pick too.

Topic #26830 | Report this topic

shano  
Years ago

Great list. Dont diss the Big Fella Reesy though!

Reply #339090 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

MM:

SHOOTING GUARD
1. Andrew Gaze (Melbourne Tigers)
It's almost redundant to say he is the greatest player in NBL history. Championships, scoring titles, MVPs - he’s done it all. Even took a non-descript college in New Jersey to the NCAA Championship Game and almost beat the Soviet Union by himself on a memorable Sunday afternoon in 1987.Has set records so high no one will ever reach them. And yeah, I’m calling him a two guard.

2. Brett Maher (Adelaide 36ers)
I once asked Phil Smyth whether this guy had surpassed Mark Davis as the greatest 36er ever, and the General agreed he had – that’s good enough for me. Not only that, he’s one of the greatest Australian players in history and the ultimate clutch performer.

3. Dwayne McClain (Sydney Kings/Gold Coast Rollers/Brisbane Bullets)
Probably the single most talented player ever to come to these shores and took the popularity of basketball to a whole new level when he arrived in Sydney. It’s not hyperbole to say he was the Michael Jordan of his generation in Australia – those who were closely connected to the game in the early 90s, especially the amazing 1992 season, know exactly what he meant to the sport down under.

4. Lanard Copeland (Melbourne Tigers/Brisbane Bullets/Adelaide 36ers)
The former LA Clipper and Philadelphia 76er was one half of the greatest backcourt in NBL history. Had it all – size, speed, athleticism – and who will ever forget the immortal 'Gaze to Copeland!!!!!’

5. Al Green (West Adelaide Bearcats/Adelaide 36ers/Newcastle Falcons)
Just pips John Rillie on this list, and like JR, was a phenomenal trash-talker with the game to back it up. An offensive machine who was virtually unstoppable in his prime.

Honorable mention (in no particular order): John Rillie, Mathew Campbell, Jason Smith, Owen Wells, Rocky Smith, Kirk Penney, Darryl Pearce, Herb McEachin, Steve Woodberry, Damian Keogh

Again, can't complain about the list, particularly with Brett coming in second.

Reply #339172 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Interessting to see Andre La Fleur's name in the honourable mentions for point guard. I didn't get to see him play live very many times, but he certainly was good and I'd have him on the list. I suspect he would have slipped under quite a few people's radar for this list.

Love seeing Brett Maher recognised for his true worth. I still haven't forgiven Barry Barnes for anchoring him and Cattalini to the bench throughout the Sydney Olympics. Fundamentally changed my perception of him as a coach.

Reply #339236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The forwards are up on the NBL site now.

SF: Loggins, Mackinnon, Saville, Rose, Cattalini
PF: Davis, Fisher, Crawford, Vlahov, Ronaldson

Guesses at who might feature amongst the list of centres? Anstey and Bradtke near the top?

Reply #339260 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Sorry, but I can't come at Gaze and Copeland both being two guards. Same team, same time....

McLain was an excitement machine but so was Leon Trimmingham.

Reply #339656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754