Isaac
Years ago

Maher vs Weigh, Heritage Week shoot-out

Brett Maher and Stephen Weigh both get a minute to sink foul shots. Even accounting for someone being slow on the clock the second time, there is a clear winner.
Brett's reactions, as usual, are a bit amusing.

Topic #26838 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Cattalini wearing #7 next to brett maher?

Reply #339223 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

wow, I thought Maher would get it.

Reply #339227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, Cattalini was there. I think there is another video of him playing Around The World with DJ?

Reply #339233 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Id like to see Simpson have a crack at it...

looking forward to tomorrows game, hopefully will be a cracker.

Reply #339238 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Textbook action from Weigh. What sets Maher apart is that his non-textbook action (esp the high and quick release) allowed him to get off so many more good looks in a game situation than Weigh's action allows.

You could argue the same about Nowitzki, Bird etc. which begs the question: "Should we actually change the way we teach kids to shoot so that it is harder to guard?"

Reply #339241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great question. My view has always been that the most important bit is getting the ball in the hoop, so a technique (unless completely disfunctional in a game situation) that is accurate should be left. No doubt adding some height to the release is a good thing if it doesnt affect shooting percentage.

Reply #339246 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think the way kids are taught to shoot currently focuses specifically on making open shots. Things change when a defender has a hand in your face and you have to adjust your shot and I think that's what separates the best shooters/scorers from everyone else.

Reply #339247 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

But then you look at someone like Kirk Penney who doesn't actually get his elbow that high.

It all just comes down to speed of release and elevation.

Reply #339250 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I guess I'm really referring to guys that can create their own shot from the outside and I wouldn't really put Penney in that category. He runs off screens to get open and can put the ball on the floor when overplayed but creating his own shot is not really his game.

Obviously other things like footwork and elevation (think MJ and Kobe) also come into it but for guys like Dirk and Bird where elevation is not necessarily their thing it certainly seems that their action helps them to get off good looks.

Reply #339261 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

dirk is 7 foot and mobile whos gonna block him when he fades away also. No one is like dirk so take him out of the exuasion.

Reply #339266 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

No pressure here. I know who I would want to take the shot under pressure. This is a no contest. One can one can't.

Reply #339305 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Dirk is often guarded by athletic seven footers who can jump a lot higher than he can but he still gets shots off. He is in the "exuasion" as far as I am concerned

Reply #339313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754