HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 7

Here we go again, another Grizzly Adams look at the NBL attendances for Round 7.

Kings vs Taipans - 4,037 @ SEC (38%)
Tigers vs Wildcats - 3,132 @ SNC (89%)
Blaze vs Crocodiles - 3,107 @ GCCC (59%)
36ers vs Tigers - 6,175 @ AA (77%)
Taipans vs Breakers - 4,379 @ CCC (82%)
Hawks vs Wildcats - 2,812 @ WEC (47%)

I know only 38% of the seats being filled doesn't look good but in this league how can you be critical of a 4,000+ crowd? Considering the Kings hot and cold form its not too bad a turnout. 38% is just a reflection of the 10,517 seat Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Seems the novelty of Patty Mills had worn off a little in Melbourne and it leveled itself out at around 3,000 or so. Hopefully they can sustain that now he's of to play ball in rice paddies.

Blaze/Crocs.....not overly impressive turnout but it could have been worse. Could have been Wollongong on Sunday night.

Largest Australian crowd of the current NBL season at the Adelaide Arena on Saturday night to to those who went well done. Only Adelaide, Sydney and Auckland's Vector Arena wouldn't have been filled by the crowd of 6,175. Every other current NBL venue would be overfilled with that size crowd.

Considering the Taipans are a bit like Sydney right now, hot and cold, the GF replay drew a decent crowd IMO. Only another 921 and its capacity.

Wollongong.....give yourselves an uppercut. 2,812 against the Wildcats? Pathetic. The percentage might have been better than the Kings/Taipans game but only because the `Gong Ent Cent holds some 4,517 less than Sydney's. Maybe its a legacy of having the Hawks on OneHD 20 times over the 25 round season.....

Topic #26882 | Report this topic

A  
Years ago

Great work HoldenV8, people of Wollongong you are a disgrace and maybe you don't deserve to have a team representing the gong?

Reply #339804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings:

Round 7
Fri - Melbourne Tigers v Perth Wildcats, See note
Sat - Gold Coast Blaze v Townsville Crocs, See note
Sun - Wollongong Hawks v Perth Wildcats, N/A
On Sat, both a Tigers-Wildcats replay and Blaze-Crocs were shown. One game had 25,000 viewers, the other had 15,000. It's unclear which was which.

http://www.michaeldifabrizio.com/nbl-tv-ratings

Reply #339806 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

When you consider the crowd versus the population of the city Sydney is a complete failure followed closely behind is Melbourne.

Reply #339809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If that were a good way to measure it, then yes.

Reply #339811 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

FM, it speaks to a totally disengaged basketball community in my view, in both Sydney and Melbourne.

Reply #339816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The usual negativity. Sydney is doing great for crowds. Melbourne, yep, the Tigers are almost completely disconnected from the basketball community.

Reply #339818 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I was at the Wollongong game.. i knew there wasn't as many people but damn, under 3000? The NBL needs to know it's markets, what days to play and what days NOT to play.
Sunday games in Wollongong never work. They never have. I have been putting on concert tours for 11 years now, ranging from "small" pub tours too the larger stadium tours. Wollongong people do not come out on Sundays. They haven't for years! The Hawks home games need to be on Friday or Saturday. Thur or even Wed would be a better option than Sunday.

Also, last Sunday the Wildcats played in Wollongong on a Sunday.. the next Wollongong home game is next SUNDAY against the wildcats AGAIN! Two straight Wildcat games?!?! Looking at the schedule, the Hawks are tied for having the most Sunday games this year.. Market research people!

Reply #339829 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good point about people in the `Gong on Sundays natwhereyouat. And on your point about Wollongong playing Perth twice in 2 weeks, last season I only managed to get to 3 36ers home games (the last 3 of the season). They were (in order) Melbourne, Cairns and Melbourne again. Already this year Adelaide have had 2 home games in a row featuring the Sydney Kings. I know it works somehow but why are teams getting the same visitor 2 games in a row or 2 out of 3?

Reply #339867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say it's just because scheduling (flights, venues, etc) isn't all that easy.

Reply #339870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754