Anonymous
Years ago

AIS Championship Season

Have the AIS only ever won the WNBL championship (or even come close to being in the top end) the one time? With Lauren Jackson in the team? Who else played in that team? All of the kids at that time must have been very well developed for their ages in order to do that!!

Topic #26914 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite terrible injury list AIS have beaten Townsvville tonight by 1. They need every one playing to be competitive and that has not been the case this year. Local girl Olivia Thompson returned 21 points 9 rebounds 4 blocks and 3 steals. There is still talent there just like Greater Western Sydney next year in AFL tough when heap of kids put together but when matured they will be ok.

Reply #340149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AIS should really be playing SEABL, they'll never be competitive in the WNBL.. The whole AIS program, both men and woman is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Reply #340150 | Report this post

Thinking  
Years ago

See your point of view but not sure about what is best current system allows junior players to get court time against the best players and I would say that is the best training they could get. In time allowing them to bolster WNBL teams with experienced juniors.

Reply #340151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is SEABL teams or colleges offer those players better chances now..

Reply #340152 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

The AIS women won the WNBL Championship in the 98/99 season. The Team consisted of some of Womens basketball powerhouse players right now...

Suzy Batkovic, Rohanee Cox, Lauren Fitzgerald, Desiree Glaubitz, Tania Heritage, Tammy Hoare, Lauren Jackson, Alison O'Dwyer, Deanna Smith, Deanne Butler (Smitheram), Belinda Snell, Penny Taylor, Kristen Veal.

Some Quality in that team dominating basketball in Australia, and overseas since.

Reply #340162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they closed the doors on basketball at the AIS especially in women no one would notice

Reply #340185 | Report this post

H2o  
Years ago

If you looked at what girls are leaving the AIS in Feb 2012 & see what is coming in to replace them i believe there are big concerns on where the AIS Women's Program is at! There have been girls at the AIS for 2 -3 years that have just not developed rapidly enough for the environment they are in. There are a huge number of girls bypassing AIS Scholarship offers to take up US College Opportunities instead, as they feel that the US College route is a better alternative than the AIS. Basketball Australia & the Australia Sports Commission should be very concerned about this growing trend!

Reply #340191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, the good players are either already at the other Wnbl teams, or they go to college, the program has served the sport well but it's now becoming irrelevant.

Reply #340192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AIS might have its benifits but I believe that there are serious issues with its structure.As most selections are made from State Teams at National championships,there are many out there that believe players miss out on this level due to club bias or jobs for the names.These teams then lead to AIS offers
My problem is we are breeding a losing mentality with excuses.How many times do we here about the kids of the tute.Well if they are considered kids place them in SEABL where they are actually playing against some players of their own age and I am sure these players would welcome the opportunity to show what they have against the ordained.The SEABL season better suits the school curriculum and you wouldnt have the problem of leading from one year to another.
I appreciate in years gone by that they got the most intense training,but with schools now in Vic offering b/ball as a course (20hours)plus games and gym plus their own club and D league and SEABL games ,there is a point that local players actually train and play more than them.
These players are also playing 2 or 3 times a week with their reputations on the line .I dont see how this is the same for the AIS.They are instant selections back into state teams as the same (probably right) but once again dont actually have to go up against their peers.
A squad that only trains against its self surely has limited development.I would like to see the AIS play in the national state champs as their own team.Sure they might win,but lets see how they go against players their own age who are considered lesser players.If we really want to see the best reach the top rather than the best at age 15 get a ride for life they must be challenged.
I am not convinced that a live on campus system whilst in High school is best.The number that really develop is questionable.
Why not go to college in the states with a free ride when you get over looked at home.
All this said how do they get so injured?..Best methods and medical on hand but hardly ever play.I suppose you cant go wrong if you dont play.And its not over use every elite player in most states is doing as much b/ball without the benifits they have.
Just an opinion anyway

Reply #340208 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

i dont think the idea behind the AIS is to be competetive, i think its just a way to give them the experience they need to play WNBL.
Look at ABL for example every team has 3 or 4 players that never get on court or if they do its only for 2-3 mins, lets say we make a team, playing in the ABL, of those players surely they would develope quicker playing 20-30 mins every week rather then 2-3. Then they could go back to their club and can be a strong, competitive player in their ABL side.
Yes, they would get thrashed every week but look at the AIS winning against the fire by 1, did the fire not open the season with a 6-0 streak.
People may not notice the team if it disapeared but it would take twice as long to develope these players they may not get much of a run

Reply #340217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the idea of the AIS isnt to be competitve then why the hell are they in the our premier top League then? If they want to use the team for development put them in SEABL and stop wasting everyones time in the WNBL.
Or let those players fill spots in other WNBL programs and go play SEABL over winter and "dominate".

Reply #340219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

selection is so bent it's a perfect circle

Reply #340220 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Disappointing to see that half of the Womens AIS squad is injured (maybe a thread of its own ??)

A couple of the girls listed on the AIS site have never hit the court and some have played very limited games. Send them home to recover and give others an opportunity to receive the coaching and facilities.

Great game by the "fit" girls to record their first win of the season.

Reply #340471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great respone...would love to know the actual playing time of some of these injured players.Dont worry will all be fit for selection in the gems team

Reply #340490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If an AIS team that dominated 10 or 11 years ago are now the superstars of this country, what hope does it give for the future of the country? Are we going to continue to hold our status as one of the top teams in the world? How were that championship team so much better than any that has been since?

Reply #340505 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

See the problem here though is that these girls are not really being selected on their potential to achieve wins in the WNBL or to excel later in their basketball careers. They are being selected on their current ability to produce good, team basketball at Junior World Championships. The goal of producing basketballer's to represent Australia at senior world Championships is merely secondary!

With the implementation of the U17 World Championships and the abolishment of the older age group (U23's i think it was?), the girls who attend the Institute are on average starting a whole lot younger, and IMO these girls (and certainly the coaches) don't really care about results in the WNBL - WNBL is used as a weekly scrimmage to aid selection for Worlds.

Combine this with the fact that the WNBL is a hell of a lot more professional than it was when the Institute won their championship, and it is clear why these girls aren't close to dominating. Back in the 90's, the Institute was known the world over for its innovative and effective approaches to sports science, nutrition, fitness etc. The sort of training regimes which are now a staple of ALL WNBL teams were back then only properly being practiced by a group of talented youngsters, and this clearly gave them some sort of edge.

And it is also relevant to point out that the overall *quality* of basketball being played in the WNBL has grown immensely. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on whether the 98/99 Institute team (as it was back then) would be able to compete with the top teams of the last few years (read Bulleen and Canberra).

Reply #340557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In too many cases talent is overlooked for potential which is fine when it works but often selection in Australian basketball via the state system is dubious with certain coaches having too much influence.

Reply #340560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754