Anonymous
Years ago

Andthefoul.net NBL Downloads

For anyone who's not already aware, andthefoul.net is a great site whcih often uploades NBL games for download, free of charge of course.

This is from the folks at andthefoul.net:

"We are trying to raise enough money to purchase 500GB of webspace to host NBL games for download. Currently we upload to free servers, but having our own server would allow us to upload faster, you to download faster, and ensure that the games will always be online. We have worked out a deal where we can get 500GB (=260+ games) of usage for 2 years. So any donation will be welcomed!"

Check out the right hand side of the homepage if you are interested in helping make this happen.

Topic #26932 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

As soon as money is involved (donations, etc), copyright holders may start to take more of an interest. Might be better off putting ads on the blog/site (distanced from the file hosting a bit) and using proceeds to fund the downloads.

Reply #340446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, just to be clear, while the site editor editor does occasionally post here (under the name natwhereyouat) this is a seperate poster who just loves the site but isnt involved with it.

Reply #340447 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hey guys,
Thanks for that!

I've had some conversations with people in BA/NBL/NBL Teams about this, everyone seems all for it (officially & unofficially) but like Isaac said once money is involved it does get a bit sticky.
We have been told this is the best way around the copyright issues as these are donations.
Also another way we keep Ten happy is we keep all TV adds.
Worst case if we are told (if by anyone it would be TEN/One)to stop putting up these games then we can legally go back to what we are currently doing, and all donations will be refunded into peoples original paypals accounts.

My brother in law works for Ten/Fox so i've covered by butt, he lets me know what's going on, when it's going on and what to do. Lucky!

AND, have got permision by a few NBL teams to raid their video archives, convert their old VHS/BETA tapes to digital & put some games up for download.

Reply #340467 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

PS - Also have a YouTube channel. Try to upload as much highlights as possible & some mixes. http://www.youtube.com/user/andthefoulsite

And before anyone asks, actually uploaded games to YouTube but if they are open to the public (you can have videos where you can't search for them but if you have the direct link you can watch them) then YouTube find them at some point and take them down.

Reply #340469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before they were acquired by Facebook in a talent pick-up, a friend and I often thought drop.io would've been good for this sort of thing. Start adding archival games and charging a flat-fee for access or a per-game charge. Give a cut to teams or league, etc. Would be a non-trivial site to do properly now though. Maybe S3 for elastic storage.

Could some sort of private torrent/tracker setup be suitable to share the load?

Email me if you can share the hosting price you've been offered. Would have to be outside of Australia surely - bandwidth would kill you trying to do it here.

Reply #340483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

natwhereyouat, can Ten stop you uploading old games, eg stuff from the 90s? Do the own the right to that? Does ANYONE own the rights to that?

Reply #340484 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Old games, nope. Teams/League owns them.

Servers are outside Aus with unlimited bandwidth so no hidden surprises. Got stung with that last month with our normal monthly site fees, far exceeded our current limit & got hit with a nice little bill.

Thought about setting up a private torrent site, but i'd imagine it would be so frustrating if you wanted to download a game that was uploaded months or years earlier & there was no seeders.

Reply #340486 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

natwhereyouat, i've been watching some of your downloads and i would like to say thank you for putting in the effort. It really is great to be able to watch games from the past, and hopefully there will be some great 36ers games from 98-02/03 available in the future!

Reply #340491 | Report this post

Kingsfan  
Years ago

I think i visit andthefoul.net than the NBL website. love the games and the articles, rookie reports, import reports etc. Should be working in the leagues front office. Seems like you know what fans want!! Thanks heaps!!!

Reply #340494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read the site too and recently downloaded the 36ers Hawks 2001 free throw game you put up. Great site, was great to re-live an old sixers game.

Reply #340509 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Admittedly that one I avoid at all costs. The memory still hurts...

Reply #340583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754