MM
Years ago

Basketball Camps - Are they worth it?

Hi fellow hoopers

I'm after some feedback or advice on week long basketball camps which are run in January.

I have a 9 year old who is interested in attending a camp and I just want to hear from people who have experienced one. what it was like and what they got out of it such as skill development, friends had fun ...etc.

Only knowledege I have of any camp is the Supercamp my brother attended back in 1995 held at Flinders Uni and that was very well run and he had a great time but he was also 15 at the time.

Topic #26938 | Report this topic

Jenny  
Years ago

Its best to contact the camps direct and see what they have to offer your childs age group. Our two eldest boys loved the one at Immanuel, one and skills and the other not so much but he had a great time and loved the social aspect.

Reply #340573 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I went to a few in Canberra around 1994 - 1996. Had Butch Hays, Willie Simmons, Cal Bruton, Leon Trimmingham, Alan Black & a few other coaches i can't remember.

I was 13 - 15 at that stage so no idea about money, but as a young basketballer, it was one of the best exp of my basketball life!! Before the first camp i could play but i had very little confidence. At the end of the 3rd day (they put you into teams & have games every night, or a few) the coach of our team (Alan Black) was running plays for me & i took off. Came back, tried out for school team, local comp and rep teams. Made them all. None of which i would of even tried out for if i didn't go to camp.. So i would say a big YES.

In saying that i'm sure there are also poorly run ones as well, generally your local club will know the best ones.

Reply #340574 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

my kids when to the heat in the street camps back in the 90's and they where great. they were run by bret brown and brian goorjian. the camp will only be as good as the coaches. nbl players arent necessarily good coaches!

Reply #340636 | Report this post

bball is fun  
Years ago

My son has attended tri-star camp in Adelaide for the past 3 years. While maybe not developing a huge amount of new skills at these camps, he has had a great time.
He has enjoyed mixing with opposing players that he plays against each week at district and has got to know these boys in a relaxed fun environment.
As he has moved up the ranks and recently played in some state teams - it has been good that the majority of the boys all knew each other already and had good relationships from attending camps just like this.

Reply #340697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754