skull
Years ago

Taipans Vs Blaze

cairns won a cracker at home tonight....and another big noisy crowd.
loughton is BACK,his inside/outside game was so tough to guard tonight and wilson at the point proved again cairns has lost nothing in the 1 spot this season.
if anything they are missing dorsey more then ubaka.
not sure about the fearne/hill combo.......i think fearne is going to have to play him a bit more ...hill looks left out of the offence,seems like fearney wants him to fill dusty's role in the offence,hill is not suited to that role.

anyway,after all that driving i can now watch it again on tv!!!

Topic #26965 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

good game to watch with plenty of feeling from both sides. Watched this after the NZ Vs Melbourne game, good night of Basketball on Tv

Reply #341010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington was at a loss to explain how they ended on the wrong side of the ledger.

"We got 22 more shots than them, out-rebounded them and they had more turnovers, but we lost the game. It's not a maths equation, it doesn't add up," he said

some massively bad calls in the game by the refs. enough said

Reply #341017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It wasnt bad reffing, it was a lack of discipline by the Blaze, they kept reaching and grabbing when they knew the refs were calling those fouls tightly.

It is hard when the reffing changes mid-season, but all teams have to adjust. Cairns moved their feet and got their bodies in position and forced GC into a lot of tough shots, rather than trying to pressure by hacking.

Reply #341019 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I suggest Wortho should just ask his fkn point guard what happened to those 22 extra shots that the Blaze had.

Reply #341025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah deleon was forcing it way too much and not passing it out like he did in the first couple of games - he was trying to upstage wilson joey should have taken him out when he started to lag when he was getting beat at the start of the last quarter - also need gibbo to hit some of those wide open shots, he seems out of sorts of late

Reply #341028 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Joey needs to go.
I see his coaching style as a real hindrance to this group.

There is no real defensive discipline about this group, and Joey's style is making the players too focused on the offensive end. Goulding, Deleon, Harvey, Worthington -- All they care about is getting theirs.

Look at the players that go there. They don't exactly develop at the same speed that other players in the NBL do.

Gibson hasn't really developed IMHO, whereas look at a player like Martin under Beveridge and its fair to say he has improved dramatically- and IMO he has overtaken Gibson.

With players like Worthington, Harvey, Goulding, Gibson, Deleon, Hudson, Petrie, Hoare and a solid backup PG in Cadee, a 4-4 WL record is not good enough.

They lack defensive discipline, defensive effort/work ethic and their fitness levels are poor.

Reply #341033 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good point fstos! I think they should run Deleon more at SG and let Gibson run the point. When the first offence doesnt work get the ball to Deleon and give him a high ball screen.

As it was, Deleon just shot them out of the game. He got a bit carried away with his form but it will only get tougher I think as teams see more of him.

Reply #341036 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I remember in a time out that Joey said to Deleon:

"Be more aggressive"..I think he took that a bit too literally and was a little overhyped.

I still reckon Joey failed by not taking him out of the game -- Even just a few minutes on the pine would have helped.

Fair to say, his subbing last night or lack of it was terrible

Reply #341040 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

there was nothing wrong with the reffing last night....or no more then usual anyway.
joey's timing of the tech he got was terrible,ripping his tie off etc bad examples but fits with the undisciplined team he coaches.
harvey even challenged him when he was subbed out.
from top to bottom they reek of a self centered bunch of spoilt brats!!

Reply #341050 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

There is no discipline in that whole playing group.

They are out of control and will probably end up giving up 5 to 10 free points a game from unsportsmanlike fouls and Techs in the new year when the refs get to the stage that they just don't want to hear it. I wouldn't mind seeing Roger Shields, Damian Lyons and Scott Butler on their games for 3 weeks straight.

Reply #341051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze made a lot of ticky tacky fouls but the extent of contact at the other end that wasn't called was rough. Watch the game again and see what weak no contact fouls get called against the blaze. But it's true the subbing was not enough to much reliance on Deleon hype. blaze just need a stronger d to go with that offense.

Reply #341059 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

anon - when you piss the refs off that much you aint going to get the calls.
when the balance of complaining/copping it on the chin get that far out of whack the refs aren't going to help you.
blaze do need a stronger d,unawares to that mob d also stands for
disclipine.....determination.....dedication !!!!

Reply #341068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a coincidence that the ownership group come across as loose and undisciplined too?
Just have a look at who travels with the team and how he conducts himself and it's no wonder the team has bad habits

Some supremely talented players in this group but until they work out that basketball is about playing as a team to make the group better than the sum of it's part they won't fulfill their potential

If only they were all more like Stephen Hoare....

Reply #341081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha I like how no one is paying credit to cairns

great win considering dusty was out - j wilson is the real deal at pg and warren despite not hitting his shots consistently does have some great hustle on the floor and i can see why ferne sticks with him

alex L also played the best i've seen in years

despite the budget roster cairns seemed to have kept a bit of mongrel in the team

Reply #341086 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon, I agree, its not just about the problems with GC but how well Cairns played that brought about the result. They were cetainly much better against GC than Adelaide was the previous week despite the fact that I think Adelaide have a much better line up.

Reply #341658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forgot to post the +/- for this one:

Cairns

• Alex Loughton (14)
  • Aaron Grabau (11)
  • Andrew Warren (10)
  • Jamar Wilson (9)
  • Jeff Dowdell (4)
  • Ian Crosswhite (3)
  • Kerry Williams (-1)
  • Brad Hill (-2)
  • Dean Brebner (-3)

Gold Coast
  • Anthony Petrie (3)
  • Adris Deleon (0)
  • Tom Garlepp (-2)
  • Chris Goulding (-4)
  • Mark Worthington (-5)
  • Jason Cadee (-5)
  • Stephen Hoare (-5)
  • James Harvey (-7)
  • Adam Gibson (-8)
  • Will Hudson (-12)

Reply #341723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754