ranchhand
Years ago

Is there enough spectator support for basketball ?

5k at men's games, 6k tops and 300 to 600 at a WNBL lightning game, can the sport expand or survive if the elite game is struggling?
Is there a future for basketball in Australia if sponsors want bang for their bucks?
In SA, is BSA the problem or the solution because it seems to be running an agenda that only it knows about at junior level where chaos in the form of lack of numbers and quality is threatening to destroy some club?
Is private ownership a winner or a short term fix in a sport where returns for ownership are tax write offs?
Do people engage with teams that change big numbers of players every year and hire last year's villain to be this year's hero?
Is the timing of games an issue for district?
Is the travel an issue?
Why don't kids go to elite games in droves?
Do they market elite games and what is the current add?
What's the jingle?
I went to the soccer and saw a shocker but came away feeling I had been out. I go the sixers and feel I gotta do something else to make a night of it.
The Lightning can win the championship this year but who really cares. It's not our team just a group put together to make up for some wasted seasons and will change to another set of faces next year.
Basketball has no clubiness anymore, no feeling of being ours and no sense of permanence. I miss regulars, long haulers with a couple of real imports that want to be here.

Topic #26989 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Too many questions! Break it down a bit so we can focus on particular topics.

I went to a United game the other week. The deal for corporates was great - good food in the Reds room, free drinks, etc - but it's not the same as an entertainment package IMO. Got as much from chatting with my hosts as I did from the game in parts. Didn't see what happened at half time. The cheer squad makes noise, but there's not really much else going on and the team was very average on this occasion. Not to say that I didn't appreciate it, but I certainly wasn't going to swap my 36ers season ticket for it.

Saw an ice hockey game in the US last month and that was a very good package - promos, contests, music, kiss cam, and so on. Very entertaining sport, high speed, talented players and an overtime win. Really enjoyed it.

Reply #341294 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I remember someone telling me once that with AFL, you can get 35,000 every second week for six months of the year, with NBL, it's 5,000 every week or second week.

Media coverage and PR has a lot to do with spectators as well.

The AFL always have a story in the Crowvertiser every day, even if it 's a "made up story" about someone's groin, or behaving badly, or "next big thing"

Reply #341295 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think the 6ers would benifit from showing their tv/radio commercial the week up to a game, which advertises that specific game with tip off time and date.

Another good thing to do would have a local evening news do a weekly preview for the game on the thursday night.

Basically just promote the hell out of every home game!

Reply #341296 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Would it be worth the sixers giving out free tickets to one home game in the season? Get as many people to the game as possible, create lots of interest, promote the crap out of the game and then hopefully people will love the atmosphere of around eight thousand people and return?

Obviously, do something for the season ticket holders and those that have bought tickets already to make sure they are happy and not ripped off.

The way i see it is that the more people we get to a game, regardless of whether its paid or not (for one game only) the better. better promotion, better atmosphere and hopefully it could draw more people regularly.

Might be a good chance to do this for the first home game of the season, brings a good atmosphere into the season and also allows the club to get good footage of a packed out stadium to get some decent commercials on TV.

What do people think?

Reply #341297 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

spectator support is not a problem in australian basketball. 36ers home games are regularly packed. basketball fans are very devoted and will watch it pretty well on tv.

the problem is that as a sport it isnt really attractive to corporate types as say afl, rugby and cricket are. that probably has to do with market penetration and all that. for instance, i cant stand rugby but could probably easily list 20 odd players off the top of my head. i could probably attach who some of their sponsors are too. so the big corporate dollars will go to whoever is getting big media attention, big media attention will go to whoever has a marketable product and whoever has already attached some media attention ( usually through there own media build ups etc).

lets face it, we are not going to shift any of the big 3 ( afl, rugby, cricket) out the way anytime soon.

we need to focus on maintaining and improving the league obviously but in terms of what we need to do is keep getting it out on free to air tv, generate more interest outside of 'diehard ' fans, but most importantly, recognise our limitations and work to a model.

afl will drag in many more viewers, but will cost you a billion dollars in rights,

filming footy vs basketball would be about 10 max staff at a bball game to what? an army to film a footy game.

basketball may only get you about a 1/4 of the viewership but it will cost you 1/ 15th of the price. chump change to these guys. push that, let them know they have a cheap, rock solid product and work from there. work on stability, keep it around. make the most of what you have in terms of promoting the game. be very active and clever. while football teams are jetting to arizona have the nbl teams be the most pro-active in terms of engaging fans with the club. have the most web content. have the most fan days or anything that can involve people. every home win a random member gets something that has just been signed by the club. have somewhere the fans can gather. focus on a junior club on a fortnightly basis and send the development players to train the kids for an hour. everything you do invite the press, film it for your web content. name a junior player of the week and invite him to the game.

basically have a hundred different things going. if you dont have as much money you work harder while everyone else is setting back. thats how you make a difference

Reply #341309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BHP,RIO TINTO, SANTOS, FORTESCUE put a ridiclously small amount back into the country that generates so much wealth for them. Compare it to Nike, Microsoft, Gatorade, Coca Cola, Oracle, Berkshire, Ford etc. etc. etc.

If one of these australian monoliths got behind basketball it would change the sport that has some of te highest participation rates, that we are very successful in internationally in, dramatically.

Reply #341312 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon, good point; but every company you mentioned is a global conglomerate in their respective markets.

Unfortunately the whole process is staggered and requires a longer approach than more would like.

Your first objective is that the teams need to increase their existing numbers by putting on a performance that will keep existing numbers constant and encourage that "loyal" fan-base to get the word out. This means for example, the Sixers needing to return to some guaranteed finals form as they had just on about 7 years ago.

Once the existing fan-base is guaranteed and you get the additional people turning out, then you guarantee sellouts. Maintain the sellouts and then you need to start advertising to encourage the value of getting a Sixers ticket.

When you get the over-demand for a Sixers game again, then you can start to get the word out to the more lucrative sponsors who will be interested in investing in a team that has a popular demand.

This progressive chain needs to be spread across all teams. The "expansions" are always a bonus, but only if the plan is sustainable and you have a guaranteed fan-base to kick things off.

Once the global demand is up, then you start advertising the league and build corporate interest. We have the benefit of having a lot of close games for the past few seasons; unfortunately the fair share of live games on TV haven't covered these (but you can't predict).

Keep in mind that the AFL did this and make a national push at the right time to get the masses interested and the corporate sponsors.

NBL can do just the same, but it starts with maintaining and securing the loyal fan-base for each team before trying to rope in the rest of the nation.

Reply #341316 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Outsider, I'd expand on your suggestion a little.
Give kids from each club free tickets for 1 game per year, and give the parents who take them there a 2 for the price of 1 deal.

Reply #341319 | Report this post

Years ago

baller 3 i think that is good to talk an individual game up the week before. i also like season slogans.

Reply #341321 | Report this post

Years ago

Reply #341322 | Report this post

TM Manulas  
Years ago

double headers (WNBL / NBL) seem to get a slighter larger home game crowd.

Reply #341323 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Who says BHP and heh others dont put anything back into the community?

I seem to recall them announcing a project where they will be spending 30 billion in SA alone. Sure it doesnt get their name on a basketball singlet but Id suggest that building an entire town and employing how ever many thousands of people (both directly and indirectly) is a pretty good effort.

and before everyone says 'oh they are only spending that money to make themselves even bigger profits', isnt that what we sponsorship is all about? Do you reckon that Nike or gatorade just sponsor sports to get a warm fuzzy feeling? Of course not, they are doing it to sell more of their product and make more profits.

Basketball is starting pretty much from ground zero a couple of seasons ago, we just need to ensure that the sport keeps taking small steps and continues to put itself forward as a professionally run, entertaining package and hope that by doing all the little things right suport will grow and revenue will increase. Then in turn we can reinvest in the game via promotion.

Reply #341329 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Phil, not many fewer TV personnel required to cover a basketball game compared with the bigger sports. There'd be less cameras at bball, but total staff would still be 20-30, counting those in the OB van and looking after the equipment outside the stadium. Yvonne and I photographed a lawn bowls test match between Australia and South Africa recently. ABC had 5 or 6 cameras and about 25 people on the job. We had no idea there were so many until they asked us to photograph "the team" on the occasion of its last bowls coverage. The cost of such an exercise was the ABC's main reason for planning to abandon bowls and local footy.

Reply #341336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman, its about social responsibility. To contribute to the society that generates your profits. For some companies sponsorship has little to do with return on investment but moer about social responsibility and philanthropy.

The Olympic damn is a uraniam mine!!!! Hardly a socially responsible project.

Reply #341337 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I doubt any company is going to look at basketball sponsorship as social responsibility any time soon when there are real social responsibilities out there. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: the NBL needs to stop taking their fans for granted, realise its actual place in the market and act accordingly. You are behind: soccer, league, union, cricket, afl, tennis, motorsports. All of which have the best in the world at their respective occupations competing before our eyes. Who can honestly say that anyone in the NBL is among the best in the world at what they do? Which is fine, but we need to understand this and work within that constraint before we move forward.

And it starts with advertising. Whoever signed off on that NBL ad for this season should lose their job, plain and simple. People laugh at that shit.

Reply #341339 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The AFL have a much better, more streamlined PR machine. In today's "Crowvertiser", a full page dedicated to AFL in the off season. All filled with "non-stories" which look like they could be straight from a PR Company Press Release.

Story 1: "My ATM owes Power $350K" - big deal. ABC Learning owes ?
Story 2: "Strong bodies on Port roster" - some even stronger ones elsewhere, but is it newsworthy?
Story 3: "Captain Kirk's new sunship enterprise" - story of ex Swan Kirk going to GC Suns - yep, that made my day just knowing that.
Story 4: "Ready to exceed Day's dream", by Zac Milbank. The story of one WWT Eagles struggle to play SANFL, now he had a premiership medal and Essendon are after him (Presumably so he can play in their reserves?) Gee, a good news story that makes you feel all happy and ready to take on the day. Now I feel like climbing on my unicorn and riding off to slay the dragon and rescue the princess locked in a castle by her evil step mother.

Reply #341341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hilarious mick - soccer and motorsports dont have the best in the world competing here, unless youre counting one weekend in Melbourne. AFL and NRL have the top players in this country playing against some absolute bums because they need numbers to round out spots, and tennis has a very small window.

That is hardly the NBLs problem. They could learn from how some of those sports promote themselves though.

Reply #341347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Olymic Dam is a copper mine that also takes Gold, Silver and Uranium as a by product of the Copper mining.

Reply #341355 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anon: you have more international quality talent playing in the A-League (even if theyre washed up) than the NBL, all there is to it.

Reply #341363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On QI on uk cable last night they joked about basketball needing different divisions to accommodate the height factor and how the world is generally not seven feet six. Tongue in. Cheek shite that rings true. Basketball has made itself into a very short spectacle for very tall players. Bigger courts, and twenty minute quarters might even it out, attract sponsors and be a good night out . Forty minutes is fairy land

Reply #341370 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Statman, you nailed the topic on the head with a good answer. Case closed.

Anon 341337, while it's always good to throw the "social responsibility" question into these conversations; but businesses don't need social acceptance to make money.

As Statman said, businesses get involved in sponsorships due to the advertising and association benefits, nothing more. Basketball needs to become an attractive venture with plenty of TV, Radio etc. coverage spamming over the airways.

Technically the cost of slapping a brand on a team logo and donating an amount to funding a team is cheaper than paying for reoccuring TV adverts; but there's no point if no one is going to see the logo on the jerseys.

The pinnacle goal that NBL would need to do is get full weekend coverage, and a bigger piece of the sports report on the evening news. With all due respect to how well the league is going so far, that goal is at least 10-15 years away.

Reply #341371 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i have my reasons why i dont like alot of those global companies like bhp etc but they are actually much better than nike/ rexona/ gatorade etc. while those guys are pumping millions into endorsements for overpaid stars and helping prop up elite level leagues with sponsorship dollars bhp are putting hundreds of millions of dollars into projects to help combat skills shortages and to help some of those remote communities ( especially indigeneous) where they are located.

if bhp could fund a sports team, or establish a trade college with scholarships particular to skills needed in the industry i know what they would chose and what the government would be pushing ( likely to get good tax breaks from that kind of thing too). nike only wants you to buy their product.

Reply #341376 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I agree Marty.

That's why it makes me sick to see the NBL’s mission statement before this season as "we aim to be the leader of sports entertainment in the Asia Pacific region by 2015..." (!!!)

Not even Australia, but all of the Asia Pacific Region!

FFS! And you wonder why nothing changes. They want to be bigger than the NBA.

it’s a joke and it starts at the top. Sengstock has had his go. Thought he would be willing to do the dirty work like he was as a player but his gig is up IMO. He’s all talk.

How do you expect to be a successful business when you don’t attain any short or long term targets because they were set by idiots?

Reply #341378 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

john have you been to an nbl game?? 20 to 30 people to film it?? seriously?

how many cameras do they have at an nbl game? i dont think its more than 2 but i havent really paid much attention. thats 4 people working the cameras. 2 to host it thats 6. i dont know much about behind the scenes stuff, how many can that be 2 or 3 technicians? does steve carfino and gaze/ heal/ whoever have any make-up or wardrobe assistants?? a production manager? yeah i stand by my guess of approx a team of ten. many afl games must have close to triple that, and with the much higher price of their commentators the cost must be far greater.

anyway the point i was getting at with that is that while the nbl may not have the market penetration of afl it is a far cheaper product and if we can establish it as a very reliable entity it can be very successful as the 4th big sport in australia.

Reply #341391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say there are at least 4 cameras at an NBL game this year. Two in the stands at midcourt and one at each end. Including commentators there would be approx 15 involved at a guess.

Reply #341392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argue all you like but there is a problem. For an hours entertainment it is way over priced and doesn't have mass appeal. Keep pretending spectators don't count and you have a product people want and baseball will overtake you . Smart girls play other sports and second rate athletes play basketball here in Australia. Address that and you may be on the ground floor. Ignore it and the basketball experiment wil be over.

Reply #341393 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon #341393, It's a good point, but from what I've seen the "second rate athletic basketball players" are in demand by the AFL; so that classification doesn't stick to everyone in Basketball.

Basketball in the past few years have increased the costs of going to a game, but they're still better than AFL tickets and on par with most A-League tickets. And considering you can pay upwards of $1200 for a seat at Boston Garden that's only $25.00 here clearly shows that "if the sport is popular, they will pay". It may be extreme comparing a Celtics ticket versus a Sixers ticket, but there's a reason why people go to a game in the NBA and pay that amount.

Yes, there is a problem and it's being addressed. However realists understand that 2-3 years won't do it. That's the length of time it will take to stabilize the league and secure the existing fanbase.

Reply #341397 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Baseball will NOT overtake basketball..

At least we have that going for us.

Reply #341398 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I do however agree with anon above that a lot of Australian players are second-rate athletes.

Newley & Ingles body types should be the norm not the once-in-a-generation exception.

Reply #341399 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

One issue for basketball is that it's basically over by the time you're 14 unless you're going to be 2 metres tall. An U16 boy starting high school who decides they want to play basketball has no pathway to district. At the larger clubs there are 50 kids who have been playing for 6 years lined up in front of you. If you aren't an exceptional athelete, you'll have to settle for AFL.

The kid who can't get a start in a sport isn't going to be all that interested in watching it. Neither are his parents.

Reply #341403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clubs must be dying to bring that optimistic attitude on board.

Reply #341409 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

A couple, phil. Next time one of the crew trips over me, I'll ask how many people they have at the game.
I think your estimate is too low, and mine is probably too high.

Reply #341491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL isnt the most athletic league in the world, but a lot of players who have played here and in decent European comps think the NBL is more athletic.

I dont think lack of athleticism is really a major issue for the NBL. How hard players work in games means they dont always show their above the rim hops though, but that is the Australian/NZ style of game and Ill take that any day over most European national league games.

Out of interest and slightly off topic, NBL crowds are something like the 7th or 8th highest in the pro basketball world.

Reply #341495 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree with Paul that NBL style is more entertaining than Europe. I think we should run with that and distance ourself from FIBA, and start implementing rules like the NBA limiting handchecking in the backcourt to keep the free flowing game alive.

One issue though, this season especially: what is with all the turnovers?

Reply #341550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can piss for forty minutes! How about more game time and then crowds might attend and others might believe athletes are involved.

Reply #341581 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

581- I certainly know what I'd rather watch for 40 minutes. Give me the game over your pissing every day thanks.
I do get your point though and perhaps NBL has to go back to 12 minute quarters next season.

Reply #341587 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Can you explain why crowds have increased since the NBL went to 40 minutes if 48 is such a crowd drawer?

Reply #341601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No game is worth spending dollars on for 40 minutes? In and out in an hour is sex not a game. It's not a night out and yep, dyed in the wool fanatics will go till they die but you wont capture the newbies.

20/20 cricket is thriving because they meet their mates, guys and gals and it's a night of fun where the cricket can be a by product of the event. Soccer is more fun, lasts longer and is growing.

Paul, if 25000 around Australia for 4 or 5 headline games is an increase then boy is basketball in trouble. No names, no sponsors , no real coverage and 25000 loyal followers across the country accepting less minutes is not what I call a show stopper.

The sport is too expensive to play and watch and I think way to short to be a standalone event. Great game but if the games over by the time you finish your drink, it aint going anywhere here. Would you bother vending a joint for such a short outing where old heads arrive for the game and exit asap.

Reply #341623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A game doesn't go for 40 or 48 mins you twats.

40 min game goes for 90+mins

longer then both soccer and netball

Reply #341627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The average game goes for 110 minutes, some people are incredibly thick. Basketball is actually a sport played over 4 x 10 minute quarters everywhere with two exceptions.

Love how the approach changed once it was pointed out that crowds have gone up since it switched to 40 minutes. The NBL had 48 minutes for years and for years after the mid 90s crowds declined. Now all of a sudden it is the 40 minute formats fault. Ridiculous.

Maybe the problem basketball has is that a lot of fans have a low iq?

Reply #341636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forty minutes playing time with multiple T O's to let the little boys get their breathe back disguised as tactical breaks for coaching wisdom. So many whistles a game to stop momentum that great uncle Charles could play and not blow out a candle. Plenty of places to hide in basketball and you cannot be serious thinking it's for athletes.

Reply #341640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like how they chopped all of eight minutes of game time and the sky is falling. The game isn't long enough. Yet in the same post, T20 cricket, a trimmed version of one-day cricket which itself is a trimmed version of a test match, is extolled as the answer.

Reply #341691 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

I agree with#341403 a lot of teens start a sport around year 10,basketball is impossible to get into at that age unless you are freakishly talented.Some kind of programs must be available in district clubs to cater for these kids,in the long run more interest in the sport equates to more bums on seats at the Arena.

Reply #341715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, no matter which way you come at it basketball is too short,not by 12 minutes but by at least twenty. 20/20 is 3 hours plus of action and plenty of time for sponsors to work with. I'm watching Adelaide play Melbourne right now where athletes go at in two forty minute halves and they run harder and longer than basketballers.
Despite the everything now society we live in, basketball will not cut it here unless they develop the juniors, lengthen the game and stop pretending that what works in other places won't work here.

Too precious is basketball's problem and it has had a lot of time to fix it yet hasn't. BA seems to be waiting for the audience to pick it up rather than making the changes that might change people's minds. Australia went against convention in the seventies and eighties to revolutionize cricket, rugby changed rules that made the game viewer friendly and grew it,soccer reinvented itself here and is on the up.baseball and basketball remain as popular as marbles and it's direction is downwards.

Games that are professional in Australia are generally successfull if they are club based. That is if there is a flow from the junior grades to the senior grades. Basketball is a franchise based, play anywhere , buy anyone and ever changing team structure that is irrevocably unAustralian in nature. Australians like to have teams that have a heart that remains constant not an ever changing number of faces that play at this club one year and that club the next.

The 20/20 extravaganza with players from all over the place is suffering the same problem with identity issues as opposed to the state 20/20. It's doubtful the foxtel funded show will last because it's not club based

Reply #342120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon Explain netball for me then?

Games go for one hour. Australia v New Zealand had 8,000+ at the Entertainment Centre.

Length of game time is the least of the sports concerns when it comes to getting a fan base or sponsorship support.

Reply #342122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754