Silverchair
Years ago

Top State League Players To Never Crack the NBL

As is the case with all sports some players can never make the cut at the top level but excel at the tier below and at times some guys just never get the chance at the top comp.

Interested to hear some names of players who have excelled in the second tier yet just never cracked the NBL over the past 10-15 years.

A couple that come to mind are Dallas Jeffree who had a very short stint at Perth Wildcats but has been a gem for the Pioneers and Ash Cannan who spent one year with the Dragons but was just too undersized to be a legit big and too slow to play perimeter.

Open the flood gates and CJ Massingale cant be mentioned because I've said his name here to keep all those Raiders fans happy.

Topic #26994 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Ahmat and Andrew Webber, both guns never got a chance at the sixers

Reply #341395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ivan Platenik

Reply #341396 | Report this post

WOT  
Years ago

Webber aint close to being an Nbl player.
Todd Matthews mabye but height an issue?

DIX would be No 1 in SA I think

Brendon Mann was a good player in the Nbl and I dont think that Darren Martin was too far behind him in terms of being a tallented guard who might have made the Nbl?

Reply #341405 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Sam Armstrong was the leading scorer in the SEABL in 2009. No issues with him being good enough to play NBL. Regular Allstar. And his brother Ben handy too!!

Reply #341407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Brendan Mann play NBL? Canberra or something like that?

Reply #341408 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What about CJ Massingale!!!!Better than Showtime Glover????

Reply #341412 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

ah the topic that never dies

Reply #341413 | Report this post

Ginger Meggs  
Years ago

PPPPPP-UNIT!!!!

Everyone's favourite Paul Smith.

Reply #341415 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think you will find Brendan Mann played for Brisbane, Canberra and then Newcastle.

Reply #341418 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Correct Mann played for a few teams, but I think he had his best year at Canberra if I recall.

Both Armstrong brothers were very good SEABL players. Teams might have been put of by their tattoos....or maybe just their size lol.

Jason Reardon should have also been a 100 game NBL player. Not many weaknesses in his game.

Dallas Jeffree did not get much of a chance at Perth, but probably was not NBL ready when he was there.

Reply #341424 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Brendan Mann. 177 NBL games according to this...

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=190395314&client=0-189-88251-125704-11144594

Reply #341425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB

Reply #341426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely you must jest mentioning Andrew Webber in the same breath as Shane Ahmat!!

Did Jason Reardon suit up for North Adelaide one year?

Reply #341433 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Height wouldn't have been an issue for Matthews. Think it may have been more his decision to not pursue the NBL than anything else..

Reply #341434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Dix??

Reply #341445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd Matthews wouldve been well and truly good enough to go to the next level! Was an elite defender at college and wouldve been as quick as anyone during his prime!

Reply #341446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jeremy read

Reply #341450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reardon for sure should have got a chance. Could play 2 or 3 in NBL easily. Great rebounder and better the opposition the better he got. I know thread was who hasn't but surely Shane McDonald deserves another crack. Another guy by the name of Nick Owusu from Geelong Supercats is a star. Had a back injury this year but is in the top 3 point guards in SEABL.

Reply #341463 | Report this post

Wot  
Years ago

Isaac, I thought my post was clear.
I was comparing Mann (who played in the Nbl) with Darren Martin who did not play in the Nbl but IMO was not far behind Brendan in terms of ability

They both played for the Rockets

It was a direct comparison because they played together, and then one guard went on to play nearly 200 games in the Nbl, the other zero

----------------

Reply #341471 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Owusu top three PG's in SEABL? Dont think so.

Reply #341476 | Report this post

Legit  
Years ago

Agree, Nick Owusu is a solid guard but not top 5 in SEABL and not at NBL level.

should have been a 100+ league player, look out for maybe a Podsiadly opportunity after a Big V Champ Men's year???

Dix by far the best not to make it from SA.

Speaking of Geelong Hoops, Ismail Muhummard is a surprise not to have been seen in the NBL as a cheap import.

Reply #341482 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Radar Ron Nunnelly?

Reply #341490 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Ahmatt played some games for the Sixers.

Dix for me and Nunnelly if we are including imports.

Reply #341493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremy Read hahahaha.. HACK!

Reply #341494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Martin not even good enough to tie up Mann's shoelaces.

Reply #341514 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

WOT, my mistake - completely misread your post in a hurry. Makes perfect sense rereading it.

Reply #341518 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I believe that Jason Dix was given the opportunity to play for the 36ers but declined. I believe it related to his employment and future within his chosen profession. I'm sure if he had played he would have been a very effective NBL player.

Reply #341520 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A few come to mind...
Ismail Muhummad
CJ Massingale
Ivan Platenik
Ash Cannan
Bobby Cunningham in his prime

just to name a few

Reply #341539 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

A player from the NZBL that I think could have played more in the NBL is Hayden Allen. He had a short stint at the Breakers but never went any further.
Its too late now (he's 32) but as a knock down shooting point guard I think he shouldve got a contract years ago.

Reply #341546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He played a season with Singapore as well, logging 350 minutes across 23 games. Averaged 5/2/1 while shooting 45.8% from outside.

Reply #341549 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

John Pichon (sp) also had a very good season with the Supercats in the SEABL. Import though.

Auryn McMillan is still young and has done some impressive things in the SEABL too.

Reply #341558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U talking about left handed darren martin from norwood??

Reply #341612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know someone who can go to the nbl and are already being looked up by abl in year 10 next year they'll be year 11

Reply #341635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know 2 that are in year 11 that will be year 12 next year

Reply #341644 | Report this post

Wot  
Years ago

Yes, Left handed Darren Martin played with Norwood ABA after taking some time out from basketball for Armed forces or Navy or something like that.

Before that though, he was with North Adelaide Rockets from the age of six and he was a very good guard.

He could have made it as an Nbl guard would have been a similar sort of defender like Martin from the wildcats is currently although maybe not as tall

Reply #341648 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Willie Joseph in his prime, although he would have been an import I believe. If he naturalised he could easily have been NBL starting material in my opinion.

Todd Matthews for sure, and I understand also it was more his choice than that of others.

I don't doubt for a second Damien Scanlon could have given it a crack. A poor man's Andrew Gaze - a better than average defender (great in the passing lanes/great anticipation and great hands), A LOT of range and supremely good at moving off the ball and finding the gaps. Just an excellent basketball brain.

Reply #341651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moses called it with Ron Nunnelly

Reply #341657 | Report this post

Return  
Years ago

We should see how good Scanlon is when he returns with South this ABA season..

Reply #342041 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

did gun dad ever play at ABL level?

Reply #342058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754