Forcey
Years ago

How the 36ers can beat the Kings

After losing to them twice in our backyard, can we beat them on their homecourt? We've proven that can be done against Perth, no reason we can't do it against the Kings.

What are the keys to beating them? I've written some thoughts here

http://36reasons.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-beat-kings.html

Topic #27000 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Slow the game right down with a zone.

Make them try to win it in a chess match from the bench, because they aren't well coached. Once the shot clock passes ten, they'll lose all focus & strategy on the offensive end and panic.

If Bruce does more decision making than Moose, the Kings will be better off for it.

That said, Adelaide's weak point is also their coaching. So, I don't know...

Alsom, if you're going to foul Kazzouh, foul him hard; make him question his own toughness

Reply #341593 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Sydney have shown in recent weeks they are at their best in a slow game. Earlier in the year when they were rushing it minimised how much they could utilise Khazzouh and Grant. Make them hurry and take quick shots, and then go hard at their suspect transition defence.

Zone is a good plan B until their shooters show they can hit a few. Dont let Bruce operate the pick and roll at will.

Reply #341598 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

How about "actually hitting 3pt shots". The percentages we had in both games was rather lackluster and needs to go up.

Seriously, the team has to collectively hit a good 40% per game for it to be even worth it. That's providing they don't shoot more than 30 of them per game.

Forcey, I read your blog and you're pointing out the obvious. Unfortunately I can guarantee that the two primary scorers from tip-off will be DJ and Weigh, rather than DJ and Simpson.

Reply #341604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see whether the Kings give Ballinger the three given his percentage. If they do, it could be a chance for him to kickstart things.

Reply #341605 | Report this post

Charles Barkley  
Years ago

"By scoring more points that they do"

Reply #341611 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

Play them in perth

Reply #341613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers wont win

Reply #341626 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Play the style of Basketball as they did in Perth,stop Kuzzy from getting inside and get the ball to main scoreres like Simpson and warren,if we dont win then we will get furthur behind to making to Final Four,i think the turnaround has come and expect Sixers to win with confidence from Perth Game.

Reply #341631 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

" We play better defense when we can see the opposition in front of us. " I heard Ballinger say.
Ya know we got too far forward against Gold Coast and they gotta round the back of it.
If the Kings give Ballinger the three , he'll be loading up for target practice and throwing up the bull's-eye , the way he shoots at training.

Reply #341632 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It starts and finishes on the defensive end.
Close out the open shots. Keep a big man in the key (no easy stroll in layups).
Box out for rebounds. No easy second chance points.

Use the 3 big guys to take it to Khazzouh early. Get him into foul trouble and try nullify his influence that way (can't understand why all teams don't do this).

The offensive side of things should take care of itself if we can hold them to a defendable total.

Reply #341641 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Drive to the bucket against Khazzouh for starters, get him in foul trouble early and he has to sit a fair portion of the 1st half, then repeat in the 3rd. And don't give him or Grant any easy strolls to the basket or leave them unguarded under the bucket and don't give Bruce too many easy 3's because if he lights up from outside we could be in trouble.

Our offence is pretty good for the most part so its just stopping them on the defensive end of the court.

Will it come down to which coach fouls up their own teams works more? One thing, Adelaide don't play too badly away from home. We've done over the Wildcats twice and were ok and competitive against NZ and Wollongong respectively so I personally think the 36ers are in with a pretty good chance. Sydney are 2-3 at home so their record at the Kingdome isn't flash.

I think this weekend we will go at least 1-1. If we win on Friday night it might give the boys the confidence to knock off the Breakers at home on Sunday. If we lose to the Kings.....

Reply #341655 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Injure Kazzouh....

Reply #341661 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

play some defence,
particularly in the small forward spot.

Reply #341664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Play them in perth"

HAHAHA brilliant!

Reply #341669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"I have a theory when you play against your former clubs that you feel you have a point to prove," Robilliard said.
Thanks for that theory Moose. Very novel...

Reply #341689 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can you guys at least make them work a little bit before they head North for Sunday's game in TSV?

Reply #341722 | Report this post

Forcey  
Years ago

Maybe "obvious", but would be good if we could execute also.

Simspon will surely outscore Weigh. When he gets similar minutes and looks he does a lot more with the ball.

Reply #341727 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Keep Clarke in the hotel.

Reply #341732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754