Crocs City
Years ago

Cody Ellis??

6'8 nice can step out,rebounds,screens well,passing is very nice,growing post game,will be good at PF in NBL,crocs don't be shy on picking him up thank you.

Topic #27015 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Would hope he comes back home. I guess highest bid wins though..

Reply #341940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he has said his intentions are to play with the Cats when he returns home.

Reply #341954 | Report this post

Davoids  
Years ago

Ohhh yeah

Reply #341957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still got 1 more year of college left.Would be a good replacement for wagstaff if he moves on for the cats

Reply #341963 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think teams do have to be careful getting guys straight from college.
Generally it works out and teams get a young guy who comes in and makes a good impact.

I think it works out better for the NZ players coming back from college, as the likes of Abercrombie, Pledger, Webster and Loe (who will eventually play NBL) all were involved in the Tall Blacks prior to signing with the Breakers.

So in that sense, it isn't as big of a step up for them.

FIBA international experience counts.

People tend to underestimate the level of the NBL.

Its a big step up from college..Look at Ben Allen and he is a classic example.
It can be hit and miss for teams to sign returning college players.
Cody Ellis may be the next Worthington (remember Worthington came from Metro State - a D2 school) or he may end up just like Ben Allen.

Reply #341983 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

cmon, seriously we know the real one we are looking forward to is dellavedova. have to wonder if he will get seriously looked at by a euro team?? ive only seen his recent games with the boomers but didnt look like an exceptional athlete so may not be a big target for overseas clubs? tight defender would be a plus for them though? ill have to check lc's thread does anyone have a list of the next aussies finishing college?

Reply #341985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It all depends on his passport. If he can play as a local then it would be little different to getting an NBL contract. As an import though I think he would struggle.

I imagine the new Melbourne team will be chasing Delly and Barlow pretty hard.

Reply #341986 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dellavedova?
Anyone know origin of name? Italian? Russian? Croatian?

Surely he would be able to get a Euro passport..which only increases the chances that he will play there

Reply #341987 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Pretty sure that Delly does not have a Euro passport, although if I were him I'd be trying to work out how I would get one!

Reply #341989 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

these new teams better stay the f$%& away from newley!

he belongs to us!!!

Reply #341995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB. None of Abercrombie, Webster, Pledger (or Loe currently) were very successful at the college level, especially compared to a lot of the Australians, yet, (in Abercrombie's case especially), they have managed to develop well at the senior professional level. So yeah being a 'star' at college level is definitely no guarantee of professional success

Reply #342009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if 2 years ago Croc City was writing the exact same thing about Ben Allen...

Reply #342014 | Report this post

Spurs&Catsfan  
Years ago

If Cody does not go to Europe he will sign with the cats because it's family tradition

Reply #342064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon, you can't use Ben Allen as an example. He's a human doormat.

The ones out of college are:

Dellavedova (Italian)
Broekhoff
Greenwood
Drmic
Hadziomerovic
Ellis
MAtt Hodgson

Reply #342074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of those players are either Juniors and Freshman at college. Although how many Aussie college seniors will make an NBL team next year? I think there are 5 playing Div 1, not sure how many in Div 2.

(1) Clint Steindl (Saint Mary's) - SF - 6'7 - 7.8ppg/3.2rpg (48% 3P%)
(2) Nate Tomlinson (Colorado) - PG - 6'3 - 9.0ppg/3.4apg
(3) Matt Massey (Southern Utah) - PF/C - 6'9 - 11.1ppg/4.4rpg
(4) Josh Duinker (Richmond) - PF/C - 6'11 - 5.3ppg/3.4rpg
(5) Trian Illiadis (Old Dominion) - PG - 6'3 - 7.1ppg/3.3apg

Steindl will likely be picked up as a bench swingman/shooter. I think he is from country QLD so Cairns or Townsville would be in the box seat, although Wollongong will have to replace Campbell and Saville at some stage and could have a back-up for Conerad.

Tomlinson was on the Boomers radar at camps last year but I can't see him being better than any other NBL back-up PG. May have ties to the kings so Cooper or Martin may lose a spot, but doubt Nate is much better than either of them.

Massey and Duinker might get looked at for 10th or 11th man spots because they are big bodies but doubt they will set the world on fire. Illiadis unlikely to make a team.

The following year will be more interesting with Ellis, Della, Page, Motum, etc all completing their final year, but this class is fairly light on for any type of NBL star.

Reply #342091 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

@macdub serious about teams having to be careful taking guys from college?
pretty sure it works for a few NBA guys, some of whom came out of high school.

Reply #342093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Page has an extra year he red shirted last season with knee injury

Reply #342098 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

BJF, I obviously meant they have to be careful taking Australian players straight from college.

In the NBA, scouts look at hundereds of hours of game tape and pick out a potential draftee and his weaknesses, strengths etc. Furthermore, a lot of college games are televised so the general public and scouts can see a potential player and what he has to offer; plus over in the US, people talk abotu certain players on online forums, general talk in the street or the likes of Stephen A.Smith debate about it on Sportscenter.

The same cannot be said with regard to Australian college players. It would be fair to say that NBL clubs would rarely see Australian college players in action, and the only way they would be able to follow them is by watching their stats on espn.com -- NOT EXACTLY A LOT OF INSIGHT NOR INDEPTH ANALYSIS.

When NBA teams select guys from college = they generally get it right

When NBL teams select guys from college = larger potential for a mistake, as NBL teams don't have the same access or resources available to discover information about a player.

I mean lets be serious here, what did the Crocs do before they offered Allen a contract?
Did they do much investigative work at all. I wouldn't be suprised if they said 'oh he played Division 1 basketball and shot the ball ok there' so we"ll pick him up.

Its this lack of investigation and work that can mean an NBL team chooses a guy who isn't up to it.

Reply #342111 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Crocs City,
People need to get out of this mentality:

"6'8 nice can step out,rebounds,screens well,passing is very nice,growing post game,will be good at PF in NBL"

This is the NBL , A professional league. Not some social league; People need to understand that just because he can do a few things well and that he is 6"8 doesn't mean jack.
This type of analysis is why teams end up with players like Ben Allen.

Ok, so Cody Ellis is 6"8, but can he defend or block shots or is he foul-pronged?
Ok so he can step out and shoot it, but does he have a fast release and what range are we talking?
Ok so he screens well..But how would he go screening men, instead of youngins?
So he rebounds well? Well let me tell you theres a lot of good PF rebounders..Knight, Grant, Vukona, Simpson..

Im not saying Ellis isn't a good player; I think he is a good college player.

But people need to understand the level of the NBL is high; just because he can do those things at the college level, does not mean he can do them at the pro-level.

Sure NCAA Division 1 might be an extremely high league, but the NBL is a professional legaue and men play a lot smarter and the execution of a pro team will be more evident.

Reply #342113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about robbie huntington, played at west point for a bit- he is a perth boy too

Reply #342124 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Corey Maynard will make the transition into NBL. Putting up numbers at a div 1 school & was MVP at u20 nationals. 6ers should sign him

Reply #342137 | Report this post

Chewy smd  
Years ago

No chewy

Reply #367852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754