• Kevin Ratzsch (-5)
  • Anatoly Bose (-11)
  • Luke Martin (-11)
  • Jerai Grant (-13)
  • Luke Cooper (-15)

Topic #27049 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Peter Crawford was huge again. So many key buckets and rebounds. This guy has just lifted his game in every department this year. Can't say enough about the effort he and Holmes put in night in, night out, consistently delivering big plays for their team.

This was my first time to see the Kings in action:

Anatoly Bose is hilariously useless and soooo easily annoyed/frustrated, he is my new favourite player to heckle not named "Chris Goulding".

Jerai Grant got unfairly treated by the refs a little, but still managed some monster dunks.

Outside of Bruce, Khazzouh, and Grant, though, this is really a state leage team...

Crocs now third on the ladder, Cairns fourth.

What was it that everyone predicted at the start of the season? Bottom two rungs for the two North Queensland clubs? Haha not bloody likely...

Once Schensch comes back to full strength this team simply cannot and will not be beaten by anyone other than NZ, and maaaybe Perth if they're having a lights-out shooting game.

Reply #342365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Once Schensch comes back to full strength this team simply cannot and will not be beaten by anyone other than NZ, and maaaybe Perth if they're having a lights-out shooting game. "

We'll hold you to this Mick, especially after all your 'Crocs in trouble' posts! They will certainly challenge hard for a playoff spot.

Reply #342367 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The problems of stale offence were the reasons for those posts. We simply couldn't put the ball in the hole, and didn't have a pecking order which I blame on the Michael Cedar as captain debacle.

Now it's clear: Crawford is the top dog, and everyone else gets in line. That's how a basketball team needs to operate to be succesful: with a heirachy.

With Mims now contributing on that end (he hasn't been an offensive factor since the preseason, up until the last 2 games), and Holmes slipping into his more comfortable role of a complimentary scorer, PC & Cedar attacking the rim rather than floating out on the perimeter, and now Big Red back, the offence is looking a lot more balanced and well-spread. Gill can now run an offence rather than CREATE an offence out of nothing. Chris Cedar is looking promising as a rookie back-up PG who is a terrier on D and great in the open floor.

I think it took them half a season to shake off Gleeson's stagant offensive habits (big men on the perimeter, no penetration, all offense from 3 pointers, being stubborn and not catering an offense to his personnel).

Still, the true test is if they can carry this form into the away games, where everyone and his dog knows the Crocs have struggled in the past.

But yeah I stand by my assessmnent that the only teams in their way are Perth & especially NZ. Cairns have heart, hustle, and a damn good coach who consistently puts overachieving teams on the floor, but they just don't have the cattle this year IMO.

In Gill, Schensch, Mims, M. Cedar, Crawford, Blanchfield & Holmes, you have 7 or so guys who can explode for 20+ ppg on any given night. Not many teams can say the same.

Still NZ is a hell of a ballclub, and Perth are tough when their D is in sync and they're getting away with their trademark slapping fouls in the backcourt.

Reply #342373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers dont have a top dog? Any given night one of them will step up and be the top scorer. Thats why they are first. They dont rely on any one person game in & game out. Townsville needs to have the same game plan and share it around.

Reply #342386 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Still i think you need a guy who you know is going to dig you out of that hole if it gets to that...

Reply #342388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754