Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers New Captain?

With Balls and Crossy out I guess the new captain can only be Weigh or Herbert?

Topic #27056 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My tip is Weigh. The selection of Herbie would be just too logical.

Ng would make a good captain too IMO, but is not getting the time to possibly warrant a selection. Ng has shown good leadership skills, has a great knowledge of the game, and has a good personable nature that inspires the players.

Reply #342585 | Report this post

wtfweigh?  
Years ago

if Weigh is made captain I will melt my season tickets now and save myself the torture of the rest of the season.

Reply #342590 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Herbie is the obvious one.

He has fought back from adversity, his recon,
and on court he has been mr fixit, performing different roles that were required on the night.

Reply #342600 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Weigh will likely get it given he's the coaches pet.

Darren Ng is good. He communicates well, you can listen to him and showing leadership now that he's in his later 20's. However the lack of court time won't allow it.

Reply #342601 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As throughout the seasons trainings, Weigh was mostly the Captain ,out there.

Reply #342603 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I would have expected this to be a perfect time to bring in Jacob Holmes.

Unfortunately it looks as though we're a year late.

Reply #342604 | Report this post

tripper  
Years ago

bring back Coops! :)

Reply #342612 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The other thing that Darren has against him is the perceived bias with Chek being one of the owners, but if that is a black mark against Ng, then it's a pretty ordinary reason not to make him captain.

Ng would be my first choice. Herbie second.

But, I still think the gig will go to Weigh.

Reply #342614 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The captaincy must go to Weigh so then Clarke can Justify giving him those extra 5 minutes that he so thoroughly deserves!

Reply #342617 | Report this post

Keith  
Years ago

Why are you all so concerned for a captain at all?
The role is pretty much extinct in hoops anyway, core leadership groups if anything are the hierarchy below the coach.
Basketball teams don't need captains.

Reply #342621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Besides Holmes, the most visibly vocal one last year was often Creek I think.

Herbert and Ng are not bad options but, though it's been suggested thus far only as a joke, I'd go with Weigh. See if that responsibility lifts him. Co-captaincy with Herbert and Ng even. Don't know Johnson well enough to know whether he'd pipe up with a bit more leadership responsibility - I assume he's too young and quiet.

Reply #342622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets face it no one of their current fit players is even remotely close to making a solid put p or shut up type captain... the 36ers wheels fell off as soon as Ninnis took over and have never been replaced!

Reply #342626 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Who really cares?!

Reply #342628 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Jack Toft. IMO I believe that Darren would be the ideal Captain given all the attributes that he possesses and I think you will find that Chek is no longer one of the "owners" but is still associated with the group.

Reply #342633 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mitch Creek admitted he was frightened of Simpson
at training .
Weigh : " " Sheeit , man . You're scared !
I'm scared of Helliwell !! "

Get Simpson and Helliwell.

Reply #342636 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

I agree with Jack Toft re captaincy ,but weigh is not ready to be captain as NG has been around the club more than anyone else,i am sure owners agree.

Reply #342643 | Report this post

Keith  
Years ago

None of the guys being spoken of as potential captains would even want to job!

Reply #342655 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ng or Herbert for mine.

I assume Weigh will get it and see his minutes increase to 50mpg accordingly.

Reply #342662 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

must be herbert - he will respond like a true leader
very obvious

Reply #342666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but a captain who cannot take a solid bump or can't play hard tough defence would hardly inspire me (Ng). We don't have much experience left so I go Herbert with Simpson an option

Reply #342670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give it to simpson...might make give him a reason to stay here next season...

Reply #342676 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

As much as I hate to admit it giving Weigh the captaincy might not be a bad thing. I remember between the `85 and `86 seasons that Ken Cole replaced Peter Ali as captain with Bill Jones simply to give him more responsibility, to make him think more about his game and to stop him doing silly things and it transformed his game. Maybe if Clarke did the same (albeit forced) with Weigh he might not be stinking up the joint. Might also give some justification to his 32+ minutes a game.....

Ng sadly doesn't get the minutes to justify it IMO and while Herbert may be a good choice I'd pass over him simply to allow him to continue his comeback. Captaincy might be a bit much.

What about DJ or Simpson?

Reply #342706 | Report this post

Forcey  
Years ago

Has to be Herbie. Creek has leadership potential but he's not getting enough time and play doesn't warrant it yet. Saw him yell at Herbie about a defensive rotation sunday, good to see a young player not afraid to call out an older team mate.

Reply #342728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Ng the only South Australian on the list?

If so, he deserves it!

Reply #342749 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Herbie...perfect future captain if he can bring his level of game up. But is clean cut, great work ethic, is not scared to voice his opinion (unlike Ng in my opinion) these are Captaincy traits.

Reply #342789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert captained the Geelong Supercats to the SEABL finals and almost won the game on his own back. He's got 100+ NBL games under the belt, and also won a championship with Dragons. He knows the game and what it takes to lead and win. Anyone got a better resume?

Reply #342866 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You might think .., to look at them .., training ,
that Weigh was the Captain.
He may go OTT if he was .

Take away the bars and let them fly .
These guys can step up.

Reply #342939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently NBL rules dictate that the captain must be one of the starting five, ruling out Ng and Herbert at this point.

Warren and Weigh will share captaincy, decided on a game-by-game basis. Ballinger and Crosswell will retain off-court roles and with trainings, etc.

Reply #343009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754