Anonymous
Years ago

Will Khazzouh play for the Boomers or not?

Is anyone actually certain that Khazzouh is committed to the Australian Boomers team?

I'm not convinced. He didn't attend any of their camps for the series vs NZ and when I asked why he declined the invitation, I was told it was "for personal reasons"

I haven't heard him recently (or ever for that matter) talk about his desire to play for Australia.

I may be wrong but I'm not convinced.

Topic #27083 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thimk hes not sure whether to play for us or lebanon

Reply #343137 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The only reason why he was trying to play for Lebanon was because the Aus team was stacked for big men.
We have
Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Aleks Mari?
Nathan Jawai
Andrew Ogilvy
Matt Nielsen

Apart from maybe Ogilvy, i'd play them all infront of Khazzouh

Reply #343138 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

You could add Baynes to that list also, currently in career form in Greece.

With Nielsen in the twilight, Andersen not too far behind and Bogut's fitness being a day to day proposition, it would be a definite shame to lose the big sneeze to the Lebanon NT. I'm sure his chance will come for the Boomers at some point.

Reply #343139 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Id take Khazzouh over Ogilvy, Jawai and the ageing Nielson.

Reply #343143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So would I

Reply #343144 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

u guys realise that when Australia plays internationally we have to play defence right?

Reply #343151 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Well Andrew Gaze did OK as a Boomer and his defence was not the best either.

Reply #343152 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It's an excellent point Dud. My recollection though is that Gaze did manage to get over halfway on defence though....

Reply #343155 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd take Khazzouh over all of them except Maric & Bogut.

Anderson has no post game whatsoever, just wants to shoot fifteen foot jumpers. Doesn't help us at all IMO.

Nielson doesn't play center.

Ogilvy is too soft. Baynes has never impressed me but I hear he's improved.

Jawai is too fat.

The only problem with him headed for Golden State is he has no one to learn from. All their bigs are atrocious and will only teach him bad habits and how NOT to play defense, how to play purely for a contract and collect cheap stats and take bad shots, and how to not help your team win. The guy really needs a good veteran to teach him what it takes to be succesful as a big man.

Reply #343157 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think Nielsen's toughness is irreplaceable, even if he doesn't do much offensively. He's the only guy that's not afraid of anyone, and that spirit needs to be there for the younger guys to emulate.

Reply #343158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Matt Knight will be Nielsen's replacement. Khazzouh's defence is ok, it's lack of conditioning that means it drops off (badly) at times. With a bit of extra conditioning he could be a Boomers back up next year.

Reply #343162 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Got no problem with Matt Knight either. Never even considered him, but yeah wouldn't mind seeing him in the green and gold.

Not a star at NBL level but has the body and toughness to compete internationally, and has international experience.

The Boomers really need to consider who can be effective at international level, and they're starting to get it a bit more lately.

Khazzouh needs to get on the treadmill and get in the weight room. While not overweight, he has that "skinny yet flabby" body type.

Reply #343166 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, I think Matt Knight is a great player but I believe he is the softest player I have come across with a guy that size and build. I think this is what would kill him on the international scene.

Reply #343174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Knight, soft! He is as tough as they come.

Reply #343180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol... No Matt Knights thank you very much! what exactly does the guy do? hes softer then me but built like a brick dunny... consistantly a let down on court. Khazzouh could very well be a Big for the Boomers team next year. My tips are as above though, Get better game conditioning... more muscle.. less loose flab. Then i think he could back Bogut and Maric... Not a bad backup to have at all one would think. btw, David anderson has never done anything in a boomers shirt and really he shouldnt be an automnatic inclusion.. he should have to really bust his guts and show and prove to get close. Nathan Jawai... hmmm... well I havent heard enough about his more recent progress to say, but it did look like his game kind of staled out after his rookie season... so much potential however.

Reply #343181 | Report this post

Jules  
Years ago

Have you seen Jawai play recently? This is not the same guy that played for the Taipans. Since he left the NBA he is in great shape and has expanded his post moves ten fold!
I would play Bogut, Jawai, Nielsen & Maric over Khazzouh.

Reply #343188 | Report this post

Jules  
Years ago

And Matt Knight? No.

Reply #343189 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Honestly I'd rather Schenscher than Anderson...

Dude hasn't done anything for the Boomers. You're right if he is to make the squad he should earn it.

Reply #343228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754