Isaac
Years ago

Half-time entertainment

Great thread on OzHoops about half-time entertainment, initiated by a guy from the Breakers. Everyone is very positive about the request too which is excellent.

People have suggested stunt basketballers, wheel-chair basketball demos (I'd like to see what that's like), more giveaways, a funny game involving kids being wrapped in double-sided tape and then having to roll around the court picking up vouchers that stick to them (classic!), celebrity games, etc.

Worth a quick look at least.

Topic #271 | Report this topic

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Isacc, we've spoken about this, get a bit of 3 on 3 going, a running tournamnet going in the style of AND1, this has to be great qulaity though so as not to look amature and simply copying the states again, because there is some serioulsy good talent out there. get that game going were people get spun around for 1 minute then have to try and run up the court, every now and then you see this on Sports Tonight's 'play of the day', seriously funny stuff! For god sake give aways, give aways, give aways! Think it was the last home game of the year for the Sixers they threw orange coke balls in tot he crowd, this sort of thing needs to happen every game, its simple but effective.

Loose the slingshot, and get those firing guns, they are more effective and give more chances for fans to get a cheap token prize.

Also try and get the half court shot for the car or atleast a 'Good Guys' major prize back.

I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years now, and every year there idea of entertainmentet gets worse and worse, its time they pulled there finger out! Games in Melbourne i've been to are crap as well, but the NBA games i've been to have been awesome, lots of giveaways etc

Reply #2042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree on giveaways. You can throw away rubbish and people love trying to catch it. Lollies, stress balls, etc. More and more of it.

Reply #2044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When i was little, i was in the half time competition. I had to race against someone else up the court and put on a massive sixers uniform including a huge pair of shoes, and the first one to score a goal at the other end was the winner. I won a phone for this, it was great! Ahhhhh the memories...

Reply #2045 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I know it's not half-time entertainment, but I read that some NBA teams do Trivia on the big screen during timeouts. I think doing Sixers Trivia during timouts (1 question per timeout, answer given at the end of the timeout), or during 1st or 3rd qtr breaks, would be great, as well as educating some of the younger fans about some old-school Sixers knowledge, like "Who were the imports in the Sixers first Championship team?". They could also do trivia about new players to help gain an interest, like "Which team did David Cooper play is first NBL game for?" or "What college did Willie Farley go to" or "What is Darren Ng studying at University?".

It may spark some interesting discussion amongst the fans both during and after the game.

Reply #2046 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Only problem with giveaways is
a) they always seem to be given to the same sections.
b) they are never given to upper concourse or the areas where the ailes dont reach the court
c) all the kids race down the front, denying anyone else a chance.

Reply #2048 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Surely the give aways are for the kids though?

Reply #2053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, kids love the stuff thrown out, and everyone else just loves trying to catch it. ;)

Reply #2057 | Report this post

post D  
Years ago

years ago i attended an Atlanta hawks NBA game and they dropped small parachutes with tshirts attached from the walkways above the court. They floated down into the crowd as people scrambled to catch em. The dome has a roof top walkway. maybe something worth trying.

Reply #2066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great idea!

Reply #2072 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Re: the kids.

How many 10 year olds are paying for their own ticket??

The Mums & Dads are the oens paying for these tickets, and we want them enjoying themselves too. Sure, great give the kids the "token" giveaways...but what about the adults in the crowd too, surely those with the actual disposable income need to be enticed?

Reply #2104 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

From memory most NBA clubs have certain product days like Kodak day where everyone gets a free disposable camera.....get some corporates on board to dish out the stuff like they do in night clubs and at safm and triple m etc.

Reply #2108 | Report this post

think big  
Years ago

Rockets and Sturt Basketball club have their under 10's basketball teams play against each other at half time. This has been well received by the supporters and the kids got a huge thrill to play amongst the giants.

Other thoughts are definately around a big screens in the stadiums - there are loads of possibilities here with quiz contests, footage from previous games and updates from other games (this frustrates me no-end). We need to think outside the square, this technology could be fully funded through good/smart sponsorship deals. Sponsors would also have advertising opportunities and provide prizes.

Any thoughts?

Reply #2109 | Report this post

kdfha  
Years ago

The shot for the Car was great...i will never forget the one time i saw a guy win it...and my mum was at an NBL game in melbourne the same weekend and one was won there on the same nite! i think too much little kids action...its good once....or mayb twice but get something interesting and different each week!

Reply #4035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should get some break dancers in, local talent and stuff like that. and some guys playing the buckets like drums (chicago). more free gear (i mean alot more, not enough stuff given away, and it always goes to first 3 rows or last 3 rows in the first section). stunt dunkers (always fun).
if we got bands from overseas we could try and get them to do something, you know that would be awesome.

Reply #5705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In NZ the Canterbury Rams had a trampoline act during half time. No one left their seat, these guys were great and one 6 year old did a tripple flip, just great fun and something different

Reply #50292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754