Mystro
Years ago

Marks retires from Basketball

Sean Marks has announced that his 11 year NBA career is over. In that time he has played for 6 teams and beside amazing players like Duncan and Ginobli @ the Spurs and Shaq and Nash @ Phoenix and Chris Paul with New Orleans. It was with the Spurs that he won the holy grail, an NBA championship ring.
He is moving to San Antonio to take up an off court role splitting his time between assisting Coaching Staff and also learning the business side of Basketball.
Hopefully he'll be able to help young Kiwi's and Aussies get their foot in the door.

Topic #27111 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/basketball/news/article.cfm?c_id=21&objectid=10773866

here's the article

Reply #343440 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The Luc Longley of NZ Basketball. Marks did well to play 11 years at the highest level. A great career comes to an end.

On a side note its a bit sad that he didn't end up playing out his career in the NBL. However, that is understandable.

Reply #343448 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree King James, I was really hoping he'd play a season or 2 with the Breakers but if he can help a few other kids from this part of the world to get noticed I can live with that.

Reply #343451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

career average: 2.8pt/gm....not exactly impactful huh

Reply #343472 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

How many Australians played NBA for 11 years Anon? How many apart from Longley got a Championship Ring?

Reply #343543 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Mystro, the answer to your quick quiz questions are: One (Longley, Bogut should make it if he remains injury free) and One (A Gaze - by default given he was not even on the roster (Longley 3)). What do I win?

That doesn't take anything away from Marks - sticking in the NBA for 11 years is not easy and would make him stand out against a whole lot of other players.

Reply #343555 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

XY- I wasn't trying to be sarcastic I actually wasn't sure lol. Knew Longley got 3 with MJ and Pippen etc just wasn't sure if there was someone I was neglecting.
You win a beer x2 of your choice redeemable at any Breakers home game

Reply #343567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not downing Marks, just saying and pointing out a fact...

Reply #343578 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Just to add a bit more to what 11 years in the NBA means, this is an extract from an article on the NBA Pension Plan, which 'kicks in' at Age 62.

"Under the NBA collective bargaining agreement, a player becomes vested in the pension plan after he plays three seasons; the annual retirement benefit for a three-year player is $56,988. Players with 11 years of service, a milestone Marion reached this month with the Dallas Mavericks, are entitled to the maximum benefit of $195,000."

I remember that Rick Brunson also managed to 'hang around' for over 11 seasons, thereby alos qualifying for the maximum pension amount.

Reply #343581 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

fair enough anon nor was I trying to have a dig at you just trying to point out how hard it actually is to do what he has especially as he is obviously not the most gifted player in the league and as mentioned in my earlier post, I didn't know the answer myself

Reply #343585 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Congratulations to Sean Marks on a great pro-career, one which he and NZ should be very proud of.

Reply #343591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

age 62...how many people actually miss out on that

Reply #343694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754