Flinders80
Years ago

NBL vs NBA D-League

Good debate with a friend around the use of an Allstar game at the end of season or during vs inviting a NBA D-League team over to play against the best NBL roster players. Could this be an annual thing. Thought I would guage hoops forum thoughts.

1. Play NBA rules in each game. Extend Court for games
2. 5-Game series (Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and Cairns or Brisbane) yes I know Brisbane is a big market but how good was the last Cairns game on TV
3. Market the hell out of these games
4. Don't schedule them on a footy night or Rugby night
5. Make the game night more about entertainment
6. Get crowd involved every game (Kiss Cam, Dance Cam, shoot out tshirts, ask them to bring along a NBA mascot, NBL teams to send our mascots to game also, Have games in breaks between mascots, Lights shows
7. Send Aussie team to USA the following year on a tour of 5 games against 5 different teams

Pros: Good NBA exposure in Australia (being the largest I think subscriber to league passes), Good exposure for Aussies to a D-League teams and possibly NBA teams, Entertaining Basketball, More dunks, more one on one, more emphasis on shutting down own player, did I say hopefully more dunks

Cons: NBA D-league Budget per team, NBL players putting bodies on the line for exhibition, Insurance, Getting decent TV coverage in Aus, Getting decent media coverage in Aus, Basketball Aus Budget, Commitment to trying to win by both sides, Ability to draw crowd for a D League team in Aus

Now lets say this fantasy of mine came to life. What would be the best NBL team of players that could play the NBA style of the game?

PG - Gibson(GC)/ Wilson(Cairns) / Jackson(NZ)
SG - Dorsey(Mel) / Warren(Cairns) / Lisch(Per)
SF - Abercrombie(NZ) / Toovey(Pert) / Vikona(NZ)
PF - Khazzouh(Syd) / Wilkinson(NZ) / Simpson(Adel)
C - Neville(Per) / Schenscher(TSV) / Mims(TSV)

Might be a little top heavy and whilst I'm sure most will not agree Toovey and Vikona at 3 or even in the team, both great defenders. Cant just pick one team of flat out scorers.

Guys that just missed out of my team:
Ubaka, Dillon, Crawford, Knight, Walker, Goulding, Martin

Thoughts??

Topic #27136 | Report this topic

tmac88  
Years ago

5 game series would definately be too much the excitement would be worn down

Reply #343701 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Isn't d league and nbl around the same level, So why would we need to have an all star team? You could play any one of our teams and it would be competitive

Reply #343720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good NBL team would beat any d league team just because of better team cohesion.

Reply #343729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey dummkopf, NBL teams have been good enough to go to club world championships in the past, Australia and New Zealand are top 16 nation in basketball in the entire world, what makes you think NBL players would want to play against mid-range basketballers from a cockamamie competition (the D-League) which was created for players too xenophobic to try their luck as a import basketball on another continent, which serve as a holding pen for the dregs the NBA ... your argument is bollocks, Boomers vs Lithuania, Russia, Greece, Argentina, Spain and the like is what would get people to stadiums

Reply #343757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea Australian basketball needs a bit of a pick me up turn it into a more one on one game and get some players with some flare! Get rid of the coaches and refs to they are slowly destroying Aussie ball!

Reply #345329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754