Anonymous
Years ago

Aaron Bruce Vs Adam Gibson Vs Damian Martin

Trying to pick who is playing the best basketball this season out of these 3 guards you would have to say Aaron Bruce is back in Boomers contention for the 2nd or 3rd PG spot in the London 2012 games.

Patrick Mills and Matthew Delladova would be front runners for the top 2 spots and Damian Martin for his defensive skills would have to be favourite for the 3rd spot, but based on play this year and statistics you would have to say Aaron Bruce is up there:

Bruce - 14.5ppg / 5.0apg / 2.8 rpg / 3.2 tpg / 36% 3pt
Gibson - 13.0ppg / 5.4 apg / 4.3 rpg / 2.3 tpg / 34% 3pt
Martin - 7.0ppg / 3.6 apg / 4.8 rpg / 1.4 tpg / 29% 3pt
Cadee - 5.2 ppg / 1.8 apg / 2.2 rpg / 0.8 tpg / 36% 3pt

Forgetting where each player has been in the past and how could they could have been you would have to say that based on form at the moment, Bruce deserves a chance to represent Aus again.

Topic #27147 | Report this topic

observer  
Years ago

Gibbo
Martin
Bruce

Thats my order for London Games,noone else in the guard Department has shown in this NBL

Reply #343875 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I reckon Martin deserves it but after the NZ series I don't think he is favoured by the coaches

Reply #343877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce at the very least deserves a spot on the extended squad.

I would take him over Gibbo but not sure about over Martin

Reply #343881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

martins stats dont really show the effect he has on games.. He is just a great basketball player!
Gibson is a solid player can score, distribute and is great defender.
Bruce is the best distrubutor/creator of all three and scorer/shooter but he can be careless with ball at time and even though he is a ok defender he isnt better than martin or gibson.
I think dellys spot is in trouble as he isnt having a great college season at the moment. But he is a great defender and smart player.

Reply #343883 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Martin's defensive abilities don't mean squat in international play as he is too slow/short/can't jump high enough to guard the opposition. He's such a liability that he doesn't get on the floor against NZ let alone decent competition, both on defense where he can't guard anyone, and offense where his ballhandling makes him a liability.

That's not a knock on Martin as he's a great NBL player and a great guy to have on your team, but internationally he can't get it done.

In the NBL i'd rather Gibbo or Martin, but for international play I'd give the nod to Bruce because he's the best passer out of all three, and that's what the Boomers lack.

That said, I wouldn't take any of these guys if I was selecting for the Boomers...

Reply #343889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Steven Markovic? He's had some HUGE games in a very good league. Worth a look at in my opinion.

Reply #343890 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Bruce... Easy... He can do what we need from him on offense, and on defense he can get the job done when he focuses... He has proven in limited minutes before he can be a threat off the bench for Aus, so I can only imagine he would be more so now!

Reply #343896 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Agreed re: Markovic. He is the forgotten man in these discussions, but I doubt Brett Brown has forgotten about him.

Markovic - 10.3ppg/8.9apg/3.2rpg/3.1tpg/36% 3pt

Reply #343919 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I don't argee with the premise that Bruce is the best passer. His passes are WILD. Occasionally, they will come off and he looks like a hero, but more often they sail out of bounds through a players hands or bouncing off their head. He has the poorest assist to turnover ratio of all the players listed in this thread thus far.

It could be argued that if he were playing with better players, they would catch his passes more often, but I believe it is a PG's job to make his team better, not for the team to make their PG better.

Reply #343921 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , that's the way it goes. 20 or 30 wild passes a game and only 3 good ones. No wonder Clarke didn't consider him here.

Reply #343943 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

lol. I remember watching Bruce in NCAA and his "wild" passes were picked up more often than not.

He's a brilliant passer, but people need to play alongside a guy like that for extended periods to get used to how the PG plays.

I don't recall James Worthy walking over to Magic and saying "Earvin, cut that S**t out; enough of these wild passes". Players need to adapt as much as the PG.

Had Bruce been given 2-3 Seasons at the starting PG spot for the Sixers, the Turnover ratio and Pass % would be through the roof. I'd bring him off the bench behind Patty.

Reply #343949 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Two to three seasons to improve his assist to turnover ratio? He won't even get two to three months to prepare with the Boomers.

You'd bring him off the bench behind Patty? I respect that. Personally, I would not. At least not in 2012.

Reply #343952 | Report this post

Anon 698  
Years ago

Big Marty,

Magic had a very high assist to t/o ratio, and his passes rearly missed the target.

Bruce often hits people in the 3rd row.

Reply #343957 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wondered why all these people were avoiding the third row . It seems that they often get hit.

Reply #343964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather pay to watch Bruce play, take risks and throw amazing passes even of half are turnovers than watch Martin take a charge and run a good safe game. This has nothing to do with the boomers selection but Bruce is a better product for the National Boring League than most PG's. #justsayin

Reply #343987 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Going by stats alone, Markovic would have to be considered the best distributor. His assist numbers have been insane this season.

Although I haven't seen him play in a few years, I'd still choose him ahead of a Bruce. While Bruce has improved this season, I agree that Bruce is too careless with the ball, especially for international ball, and shoots at a poor clip. I'd choose an efficient-shooting distributor as a backup, a role that Markovic has over Bruce IMO.

Reply #344013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Markovic will get the spot. Markovic is physically alot stronger and a better athlete. He also has more weapons on offensive

Reply #344035 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I'm not saying he'll make it but Hugh Greenwood is an outside chance. He looks really good running the Point at New Mexico. As a freshman playing so well he is one of Australia's better prospects.

Reply #344049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood? 6PPG, 3RPG, 3APG, 41FG%.

No thanks...

Reply #344053 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Wow you did a quick stats check good for you!!!

I don't actually believe he'll make it just throwing his name out there in case he explodes towards the end of the season. You never know.

Reply #344061 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Having pumped up Greenwood enough. I reckon Markovic would be pretty unlucky not to get another look

Mills
Dellavedova
Markovic

Doesn't look so bad all offer something different
Gibbo would probably be the next in line due to consistency over the last few years.

Reply #344065 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Behind Mills, I would argue that Markovic is aguably our next best PG at the moment.

He has been the stand out player on his team in Europe, and his primary aim is to set up the score and hence his great assists stats and assist to turnover ratio. But he can also light it up when the team requires it.

Mills / Markovic / 3rd spot wide open

3rd spot from: Delly, Martin, Bruce & Gibson

Greenwood is behind these guys at this point in time in the pecking order.

Reply #344071 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Does anybody think that with Clarke as a Boomers A/C that Bruce's chances are limited?

Reply #344194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick knows squat about international ball. Martin is easily strong, quick and athletic enough to guard most guards 6'5 and under in the world. Martin played injured last international season, that's why he didnt get minutes.

Bruce, Martin, Markovic and Gibson have all shown some great form this year, but I think the incumbents will get the spots. That means Martin and Gibson, unless Peter Crawford can take a spot, which is quite possible the way he is shooting the ball.

Reply #344199 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If Gibson or Martin are on this squad, there is no point in going to London.

Reply #344219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754