Anonymous
Years ago

36ers won't be replacing Ballinger

Bartlett has replaced the Sixers' injured vice-captain Nathan Crosswell (ruptured Achilles) and Adelaide coach Marty Clarke also had hoped to find a player capable of slotting into Ballinger's role.

The skipper also is out for the season after ankle surgery, freeing up the maximum 10 points in the NBL's player points system.

The maximum is what imports and Boomers usually take up in a team's allocation of 70 points but as the 36ers already have two quality imports in Diamon Simpson and Chris Warren, only a Boomers quality local really could fill Ballinger's moonboot.

Clarke said he and assistant Mark Radford had searched unsuccessully to find a player who could help the team in "Balls" absence.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/no-balls-for-sixers-as-blaze-now-alight/story-e6frecj3-1226228807444

Putting aside aussie bigs playing overseas like Jawai, Baynes, Ogilvy, Kickert etc or even a local kiwi (and former 36er) in Nick Horvath how can not even bothering to sign a Greg Vanderjagt, Neil Mottram, Pero Vasiljevic type be a wise decision?

Ballinger was a 10 point player so effectively means 10 points down the drain.

As Clarke says just means more minutes for Daly and playing Weigh out of position at PF for periods.

Topic #27166 | Report this topic

Ushiro  
Years ago

Makes sense as 36ers still have Helliwell to back up in the middle. With him on, Johnson can play as a PF. Signing any of Horvath, Mottram, etc isnt going to make the team stronger at the 4 spot, just another wage. Would only be worth signing a local, as there would not be relocation costs. However, if another big does go down to injury, then it would be an issue.

A lot of teams are running smaller line ups so Weigh filling small minutes offensively isnt an issue, but defense would be a concern.

Reply #344255 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Its also a great excuse for Clarke at the end of the season "We didn't have a good year because Ballinger was out and we couldn't find anyone" If they got someone like Vanderjagt and they didn't do much then he wont be able to play that excuse card.

It would have been worth even bringing in Mottram and see how he goes for defensive purposes. If he doesn't offer much then just don't play him. Also I doubt you would have to pay Mottram much. Just say to him "We will sign you up for the Minimum. If you do well we will give you a better contract next year"

Reply #344266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather Warbout get minutes than duds like horvath and mottram. More minutes for simpson and johnson and helliwell clogging up the middle for short periods is fine. Warbout can play if anyone else goes down.

Reply #344278 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Hopefully this means Simpson and Johnson get at least 30 minutes each (fouls permitting). Then use Helliwell as a clamp down on the opposition Big (Hudson, Nevill, Burston, Schenscher, Crosswhite, Pledger, Grant).

PG: Warren (25) Bartlett (15)
SG: Creek (5) Herbert (15) Ng (15) Warren (5)
SF: Weigh (20) Creek (20)
PF: Simpson (30) Weigh (10)
C: Johnson (30) Helliwell (10)

30 for Johnson, Simpson, Weigh and Warren.
25 for Creek.
15 for Herbert, Ng and Bartlett.
10 for Helliwell.

If Ng is knocking down shots, decrease Creek and/or Weigh's numbers. If Herbert plays like last week, same deal. If Weigh is underdone, use Herbert/Ng more.

Putting in a Vanderjagt/Mottram:

PG: Warren 25 Bartlett 15
SG: Creek 5 Herbert 15 Ng 15 Warren 5
SF: Weigh 25 Creek 15
PF: Simpson 25 Vanderjagt 15
C: Johnson 30 Helliwell 10

Weigh, Simpson and Creek lose minutes to let him in. This means our best players are sitting down longer and we have a weaker line-up for longer.

There isn't a really good shut down defender out there to fix our interior D, so there's no huge need for another role player. What we could do, however is make Warbout the 10th man, just incase of foul trouble and we need another big.

Reply #344287 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Johnson and Simpson should be playing 40 mins each game. When you play one 40 minute game a week (sometimes 2!) and you are professional athlete running out 40 mintues should be easy. IMO it is crazy that there seems to be this mentality that coaches need to limit players minutes to around 30 min mark. Other than foul trouble why would you bother. We are not the NBA that has a 82 games season and multiple games each week.

Reply #344307 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it'd be Marty's choice as much as it would be the owners'. They probably figure there's little point paying for an extra player that may struggle to get minutes.

Jake, they all do it. Khazzouh is playing 32-33 MPG - if it worked, you'd think they'd play their MVP every minute. Better off spelling players and having them at full intensity when they're on court.

Tragardh, playing without much support in the paint, is averaging about 30 MPG. Jackson, another MVP candidate and one of the best players on the top team, is also averaging 30 MPG.

Reply #344308 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

During the training , Brandon Brine was again nominally in that spot .
Simpson likes him there , I know.

Reply #344336 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I have said since Balls went down again that I didn't think the 36ers were going to try and replace him, not half way through the season. If he had been an import it might have been different but we all know the clubs reasons why they won't go chasing a replacement.

I also agree with Ushiro that Wade Helliwell can take over much of the role Balls had on the court, both from a playing and leadership standpoint (he's the most experienced player in the squad other than Balls & Croz). Last Friday against the Hawks when Wade was subbed for Simpson he simply moved to the 5 spot and DJ moved to PF and it worked well, same when he was subbed in for DJ, he simply played centre. No one expects Helliwell to put up double doubles, or even double figure scores, but his big 211cm (6'11"), 118kg frame does create some nice mismatches from time to time.

Its also gave DJ the chance to play his mid-long range shooting game, something he admitted he enjoys doing when interviewed after the game by Brett Maher on OneHD. Simpson and Helliwell working under the basket gives him chance to shoot without having to do too much bang underneath which saps energy. Much like his ex-Tigers team mate Chris Anstey liked to do at times.....

So with Helliwell in the team and Weigh probably going to play some minutes at PF also, I tend to agree that I don't think we really need to go chasing a replacement. But that's just my opinion and I hope it works out well for them because if it doesn't.....

Reply #344337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers smashed on the boards 45-26 tonight in the 19 point loss to the Blaze.

Hopefully the muppets in charge re-think the stupidity of not signing a big to replace Balls.

Reply #344382 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Holden good points about Helliwell but the guy plays like he is 6'6.

I would still like the Sixers at some point to go with Helliwell, Johnson and Simpson. Then give the ball into Simpson in the post but I know Clarke wouldn't do that as we would be too tall then and it would be an unfair advantage to expolit a smaller team.

Reply #344410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754