Hoopdreams
Years ago

Blake Griffin and the media

What's with Griffin in front of the camera, he comes across as arrogant, and a shows a personality equivalent to a piece of toast with nothing on it. When you're a franchise player, recieving large media attention with the spotlight on you, you gotta present yourself with a bit more humility then what he's showing. His on court performance goes with out saying, but off the court he's painfull to watch.

Topic #27199 | Report this topic

Years ago

Imagine you're a 22-year-old male. Now imagine you have the skills, athleticism and potential of Blake Griffin. Now imagine that you've got the hype surrounding you that Blake Griffin does (ie. ESPN hanging off your nuts 24/7). You'd be pretty full of yourself too.

Seriously though, some stars just aren't that good with the media and all the attention, especially when they're so young. Guys like Jordan and Barkley weren't the most graceful or likeable personalities when they first came into the league either. Griffin probably got at least 12-14 years of his career to go, so he's got plenty of time to learn and to hone his skills with the media.

Reply #344624 | Report this post

aiden  
Years ago

Can someone find some interview links that show his personality for me?

Reply #344625 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Arrogant in a losing team? Why bother.

Links?

Reply #344628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron = seriously you need to calm down. If you dont like him dont follow him. You dont have his talent (obviously) do you think he cares? this is Armuricarrrrrr move on cause they will love it

Reply #344650 | Report this post

Hoopdreams  
Years ago

Ok so arrogance is probably not the best term to dercribe his character when he's in front of the camera, but watch this clip to get a look at what I mean. It has been a topic of conversation by sporting commentators. I'm sure Griffin couldn't care less that bloggers are talking about his lack of charisma in front of the camera, just like Michael Clarke couldn't care less that some cricket fans thinks he's a pretty boy tosser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wns95YfmR4c&feature=related

Reply #344652 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

theres nothing wrong with that FFS

Reply #344720 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

if you want to see good interviews go and watching some WWE I hear the Rock is back doing some stuff for them again

Reply #344722 | Report this post

Years ago

As a long-time WWE fan, I can't wait until The Rock goes away again either. Yes, he's a great of the game, and he was quite entertaining in his prime, but once he has his WrestleMania match with John Cena, I'd prefer he just leave for good, and let the current WWE champions like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Evan Bourne etc. (all of whom are much better in the ring than The Rock ever was, albeit maybe not as exciting personality-wise) have their time in the sun.

Reply #344762 | Report this post

If your into sport because of someone's personality perhaps it's time to you finally had your sex change. Go back to watching The View.

Reply #344817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These guys believe or not do get judged on their off court character, its perfectly valid to critisize an athlete based on personality. Chris Paul, Kevin Durant and Derick Rose have been praised for their humility and likable nature. There is no mistaking Griffin is the best NBA action/high flyer since Vince Carter, but for a guy who's gonna get interviewed after every game, he has to show a bit more professionalism. These guys are obliged to be role models and to present half decent. It's probably no big deal now, but it will b once he becomes more seasoned in the league. Pretty happy with my gender TCQ, how was the change for you? Made you more appreciative of humanity? Ps big fan of Whoopie, don't like the other tarts.

Reply #344863 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

@Hoopdreams.....pick another link as the one you posted really didnt illustrate anything to me. A locker room "interview" with a reporter from Clippers TV after a pre season game, with your teams mates giving you a hard time in the backround is not an ideal example.
I have to say, I'm only going on a sample size of 6 or 8 national broadcasts, but Blake has come across as an intelligent (grading on the NBA curve here) and funny guy. Some of his sledges @ Kenny Smith during the allstar game were brilliant.

Must be incredibly difficult for these guys when you think of the media exposure they get, coupled with the cocooned existences they lead. They either bring out the cliches, or they go the Sir Charles route, which can be difficult to pull off.

To put my comments in perspective, Im the biggest Rose fan going around. On court, the guy is fearless. Off court, he appears to be as humble as they come, but his interviews can be like finger nails on a blackboard. I'd prefer to listen to someone who may speak what he thinks on the odd occasion.

Arrogant is a Kobe interview, but I digress.

Reply #345129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754