jonno83
Years ago

John Gilchrist

I read on his blog that he is interested in playing in Australia, mentions playing in the SEABL, if we dont retain Warren and want a import PG is Gilchrist worth another go.

I think he is and would love to see him play in the NBL/36ers again.

He averaged 17 pts, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, prior to the knee injury, and for me he was the best import we have had other than Simpson (and maybe Warren) in the past 5 years or so.

He may be a cheapish option to if he is open to playing SEABL.

Anyways just a thought, be interested in other fans thoughts.

Topic #27200 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

I know Albury would be a chance as they are recruiting an American guard. There would be a few options for him at SEABL level.

Reply #344599 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Gilchrist did good in a weak Sixers team. The up side about him compared to Warren is that he is a good size and doesn't get abused on defense. The negative to Gilchrist is that we don't know what to expect of him coming off a knee injury.

Reply #344601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on kj, need to do a physical on him first

Reply #344605 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If you go onto you tube you can watch his rehab. Hes dunking again but the SEABL would be an option as a 30 game season will test his knee and see what he is capable of.

Reply #344607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is probs say do a psychological on him too!

Reply #344613 | Report this post

jonno83  
Years ago

Yea the unknown factor of the knee injury would be my main concern.

If he plays a good SEABL season, showing his knee is ok and comes on the cheap side would he be worth a look?

Being cheepish would allow us to spend a little more on retaining Johnson, Creek, Simpson and upgrading our starting SG, along with Ballingers expiring contract and the cap space it brings, this makes it an attractive option, as said above he would also be an upgrade in terms of defense and playmaking on Warren, and at 27 years of age still has plenty of basketball left in him.

Anyway hope to see John in the NBL/36ers again sometime, was an exciting player to watch.

Reply #344614 | Report this post

go terps  
Years ago

i liked his game here - he has been playing well since his injury

Reply #344615 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Loved watching John play for us. He was often criticised for holding onto the ball too long but with more talent on the team currently, I feel he would be a very valuable asset. He would offer more at the defensive end than Warren can and would be awesome working with Simpson.
Obviously a physical to test the knee would be wise.

Reply #344616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a better player than Warren but the OP is on drugs if he thinks Gilchrist is even close to guys like Ballinger & Julius Hodge (easily our two best imports over the past 5 years).

Reply #344623 | Report this post

jonno83  
Years ago

I dont think his numbers are far off Ballinger's especially in his first couple of years, i reckon if he had played a few seasons in the NBL he could have been atleast as good as Ballinger.

Hodge was more talented for sure, but never played a full season and had other issues, which is why we probably wont see him in the NBL again.

But even still Gilchrist is atleast around the mark of our top 3 imports in the past 5 years and is a fair bit better than most of the others.

Reply #344639 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

if the league definitely introduces 2 new teams, perhaps it should be considered to lift the number of imports from 2 per team to 3 per team to prevent the quality of ball declining, also has the down side of limiting aussie talent in a team to. would be interested to see what others think.

Reply #344646 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Think i'd still be happy with the two imports with the expansion of the league. Does promote Aussie talent. At the moment it seems hard enough to get 2 imports right, let alone 3. Having said that this would have to be one of the better years as far as import quality/sackings.

Reply #344656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754