The Journo
Years ago

Give Brisbane the Title?

Brisbane Bullets management must give themself a pat on the back, there off season so far has been flawless.

I bet everyone though "What The..??" when the Bullets released Ben Castle.

But gaining championship material in Mark Bradkte and Sam MacKinnion, plus the rumoured addition of Lanard Copeland well make Brisbane VERY tough!

Stephen Black, Derek Rucker, Bobby Brannen, Bryant Matthews (if he returns), what a line up!

Surely people have their thoughts?

Topic #2721 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Will be very tough to beat. Their only task now is to make the team gel.

If marquee players like Bradtke Copeland, and McKinnon can learn how to play a role, then they will be very hard to stop.

Can anyone get a rebound against this team?

Could be an all-Qld final considering the team Cairns have put together. Cat and Darnell back together, Melvin back again, plenty of shooters.

Reply #30656 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

You also think that they would go for a different import than Bryant Matthews as he was quite disappointing. THAT'S even scarier!

Reply #30665 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well the Lakers of last year didnt get the title so I think giving The Bullets the title is a big call this early. Yes they appear to have a team of Stars.....but will they become a Star Team? Time will tell

Reply #30688 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I agree with stateman but will they become a Star Team or will they be a flop and become a team of stars. Only time will tell I have to say that they will be the team to beat though.

Reply #30717 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Wasn't i saying this a week ago? That season looks like a tussle between QLD teams?

Reply #30733 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I dunno wak, were you? What's your point?

Reply #30742 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think that they will be a tough team to beat, if they are just that a TEAM! If they try and be individuals then they will go nowhere in hurry.

Reply #30751 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

Yep, Brisbane are the team to beat so far. If Cairns re-sign Burgess or add a similar level import, they slip into 2nd. Should the Kings re-sign CJ and the imports (or similar level) they come in 3rd.

Then daylight.

Reply #30794 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Port Power were the team to beat this year and look at them...

Reply #30797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people are underestimating just how bad Sam mackinnon is, and just how old Bradtke is.

Brisbane will be lucky to get Bradtke through 3/4ters of the regular season.

Reply #30843 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bradtke doesn't need to play serious minutes. They have Brannen. I wouldn't mind Bradtke coming off the bench.

I agree with you on McKinnon. He's not all bad, but he stunk it up last year, Maybe a change of scenery will be the difference

Reply #30861 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You don't pay someone $175K to come off the bench. For that sort of money, you would expect serious productive minutes from him. I think its a fairy tale to think that Bradtke would be signed up for $175K.

Reply #30913 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

With perks such as car, accommodation, etc that Groves would have set him up with, I reckon Bradtke's deal would be worth in excess of $175k.

Good luck to Bradtke though. He is at the end of his career and has to make all the money he can.

I don't know if Brisbane are in the running for another import.

They can get away with Mackinnon and Bradtke for Matthews, Castle and Kerle (barely) but add another gun import and it becomes an even bigger farce.

Reply #30915 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Stephonm I'm talking $175K coming directly off the salary cap. If that's the case Adelaide may have been able to get him. My guess is that Nash & Rees would have to be offered atleast $50K each. Don't forget they both have families to support. Then there is another $75-$100K below the salary cap which the Sixers don't want to spend. We would have covered Bradtke's salary. The real problem is that the salary budget is far too low. The Salary cap at its maximum would cover what we need.

Reply #30933 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Dunno, everyone thought Melbourne were going to win it all last year weren't they...and weren't Cairns meant to make some noise last year?

A Team of champions WILL NOT BEAT a champion team...unless that team jells and egos are left at the door they will fall flat

Reply #30950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC -- they've hinted at spending 5-10% under the cap which is around $35-70k (not $75-100k). Also, Rees would not be offered $50k this year, and he was not paid $50k last year by the club given that the Bullets were still paying part of his salary.

If you spent the full cap, waved Nash and Rees goodbye, and went cheap in other positions, you could get close to coming up with the $100k or so that Derek Moore would be asking. But you would have to pay absolute minimum for your backup PF and PG which means no Castle, probably no Mann, etc. I don't know if that improvement in the middle is worth the cut-backs elsewhere. And you certainly couldn't find $175k for Bradtke.

The coach should've been signed much earlier. Then Farley should've signed or not much earlier. Then, if we were stuck trying to replace Willie, we'd still have quality options left such as DMac.

Sixers should see if they can steal Braith Cox from the Wildcats, IMO. I never found Mann that impressive in the ABA and as others have said elsewhere, he's pretty injury prone.

Reply #30960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754