Anonymous
Years ago

j0yce payout details of case

i know there was a topic about this recently when j0yce was awarded damages for his early termination but couldnt find it between the new topics since.
this article today explains more about the how it was deemed to be a breach of contract.
other curious thing is the well worn new league / old league null & void contracts phrase that was used by blaze, and also the same one the nbl used to void existing contracts, however it seems what worked for the nbl doesnt apply to coaches or maybe even players.
blaze admittedly did call a press conference to announce joyce was staying on, so maybe that is where they mostly came unstuck.
would be interesting to see if a player whose services werent needed after technically still being contracted at the time, would be able to use this same sort of reasoning for a payout.
article is below

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/basketball/dumped-blaze-coach-wins-basketball-court-battle-20120105-1pmno.html

Topic #27232 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Justice Lyons awarded Mr Joyce $319,000, minus $8883.52 he had earned in the two years since July 1, 2009."

"$8883.52 income in 2 1/2 years." and the judge beleived that.

Reply #345213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Got the tax return confused with SoJs?

Reply #345215 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would say he has probably earned his income from property investment etc. and maybe the Judge is unable to take that type of income into account.

But I am unsure.

I know Judges, when awarding damages, do not like to calculate incomes from external sources as it can be very difficult to determine exactly an appropriate figure.

Reply #345217 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Careful guys!!

Reply #345219 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Why do people always put the 0 in j0yce??

Reply #345221 | Report this post

rillie rillie  
Years ago

Heard Bj was really struggling financially for a while so $8888 could be about right.

Reply #345226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea im with orbit especially if hes already made it known he doesnt want to be mentioned on this forum ! the 0 is automatic apparently but i just typed it that way

Reply #345228 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why would you take into account income from property investments? You are receiving that regardless of whether you are employed or not. If he went out to work and earned $8888, then that needs to be deducted as he would not have had the opportunity to earn that if he was still employed and being paid by the Blaze.

Reply #345231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect players sign league contracts whereas coaches dont, that could be why the 'new league' argument didnt work.

Reply #345234 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

who cares if he doesn't want his name mentioned on a forum about the sport he gets payed to participate in. You think politicians like having all their dirty laundry aired? Comes with the job so he needs to have a teaspoon of cement.

I can say j0yce sucks as many times as I like because it is only opinion and everyone is entitle to their own.

Reply #345237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some real toss wits on this forum ^^^ Mystro I think YOU suck!

Reply #345239 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'll put here - capital J and small o - Joyce - there.
rillie - now there's a name .. I think had a contract vide the old NBL .

Reply #345248 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

awww someone who can't even come up with an alias is trying to hurt my feelings over the internet lmfao

Reply #345262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

camel31 was homicide still contracted at the time too ?

Reply #345267 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As far as I can figure it , I don't think so.

Reply #345271 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i'm with 0rbit...orbit !!

Reply #345275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754