lockstock
Years ago

Almost time for Kobe to hand reins to Bynum?

The Lakers have an offensive force moving into his prime in Andrew Bynum. They have an offensive force coming out of his prime in Kobe.

Bynum is imo nearly as good as Dwight Howard right now, and could continue to be for years. He's almost unstoppable when he catches it on the block.

Is it time for Bynum to be the number one option for the Lakers (inside out), or should Kobe still be the man (buggered wrist and all)? At what point can Kobe hand over the reins as long as he is a Laker? I think he longer it goes the more it will hurt the Lakers... thoughts?

Topic #27247 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

No doubt Bynum is in good form at the moment, his numbers are great and I agree he is close to unstoppable when he catches in the post. I think he's still got to prove he can stay on the court for a full season before he becomes the number 1 option for the Lakers. There aren't many more heralded spots in American sport than being the go to guy for the LA Lakers.

Having said that, Kobe is trying to do too much. Maybe an offense starting in the hands of a Bynum of Gasol in the post, that allowed him too play off them would help both him and the Lakers. No doubt Bryant still takes the last shot and probably the most shots for the team, but starting the offense in the hands of the bigs might help everyone.

Interesting topic lockstock!

Reply #345352 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I think Metta World peace is the man - NOT!!

Reply #345354 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

hmm a good question, how long do you hold onto kobe for now?? do you move him on and build around some new guys or hold him as he is a franchise hero??

there are some very very good young guys running around in small market teams that they could make enquiries about.

Reply #345357 | Report this post

Mal  
Years ago

Kobe is the only player in the NBA with a no-trade clause in his contract. He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to.

Reply #345360 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Lakers are on the down. Bynum can play like a beast at times, only prob is how long can he go injury free?? Kobe will stay a Laker until he retires my bet.

Reply #345374 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Someone's been watching ESPN NBA Pre-Game!
Definitely needs to go through Bynum and Gasol morebut that won't happen until the coach says something and Brown won't say a thing to Kobe. Lakers done this year already.
Plus when Bynum goes down with an injury again this season the Lakers will even be worse off!!!

Reply #345376 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Kobe just had 38 in a 'W'.

If Phil still coaching a trade would be done similar to the gasol trade a few years back. They need something & they are legit again. Chris Paul would have been nice. Artest & Fisher are finished. They need a Ginobli type scorer & defender.

Reply #345411 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Kobe is never handing over the reins; it's part of his DNA to be a gunner (same as his dad). His contract runs out in 2 more years, paying him $30 million + that year. That's when the Lakers will get a new top scorer

Reply #345431 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Bynum is a beast, but the sample size is too small still. If he misses the early feed deep, then the ball rarely comes back, as Pau tends to find the ball either in the high post, or flashing. His fitness is hurting him with this in some respects as he is struggling to get deep in the paint quickly.
If he can sustain a 20/10 pace for a season, I'd think this would be a hot topic in the off season.

For mine, the biggy will be if his form and fitness is sustained, will the Lakers still look to go for Howard, and will the Magic see parity in value for Bynum. Or will they look for a point guard and move Pau like they nearly did preseason. A Dwill/Kobe backcourt with Bynum upfront could be a tough matchup.

Reply #345449 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Why not re-work the Houston part of the CP3 trade proposal. Gasol for Lowry and Scola?

Reply #345573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Houston are in no way going to give Lowry up with how he's playing at the moment.

Reply #345627 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

48 points in another win. Yeh im pretty sure Kobes going nowhere buddy.

Reply #346083 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754