Jack Toft
Years ago

Liam Flynn coaches Crocs home after Woolpert ejection

Regular coach of the Crocs gets ejected, Liam takes over and snags the W like it was always gunna be his. Cool as a cucumber.

How would he go as a Head Coach?

Topic #27251 | Report this topic

aiden  
Years ago

He's a head coach in an assistant coach role, so im not surprised to see him step up in this game and do well. I think he'll get a job soon enough as a head coach in the league.

Reply #345441 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well done to flynny! Stats will now show his head coaching record as 1-0 but will stay at that! Was already overlooked for the role after applying when wolpert got it last year. Good ABA coach but no-where near an NBL coach!

Reply #345442 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They beat a woeful Hawks team not much of an achievement.

Reply #345444 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Surely, Flynn will not get credited with coachig this game.
Woolpert started this game so he will still get the coaching 'stat'.
Does anyone think differently in reality?

Reply #345448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn didnt get the win. Already leading by 6 at 1/2 time it took the Hawks rabble 6 minutes to score their next basket, and only score 6 points for that quarter.
Put that down to Woolpert's discipline of the tea. The team would want the W for the ejected Woolpert and certainly not even thinking of Flynn.

Reply #345453 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Give the guy a break. He did a good job and deserves credit for not falling apart after Woolpert was ejected. Considering some of the current coaches in the league, he may be up to being a head coach!

Reply #345464 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Actually the 2nd time he has led them to a win. Gleeson got ejected last season.

Reply #345467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would an Asst Coach fall apart? Thats what he is there for isnt it?
Teams win many games and the coach has nothing to do with it.

Reply #345471 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

so anon by that analogy if the team loses the coach has nothing to do with it ?

Reply #345483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cleary you know nothing about basketball.
Don't take the analogy to the nth degree.
Many teams just ignore what the coach tells them at half time, time outs etc.
Your head coach has been ejected. What more motivation does any team need to do it for the coach?
Flynn was nothing more than being the interim head coach. I would be 100% sure that all of the plays he called didnt secure the win.
The motivation was there. Simple.

Reply #345490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant pick and choose what parts of your own argument you can use anon,

Reply #345530 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Haha thomo it seems anon is going by the old saying 'players win games, coaches lose them'

Some assistant coaches are great at just being assistants. Being involved as both I would say there is a massive difference between the two and not every good assistant would make a good head coach.

Reply #345534 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hey i'm with you just pointing out how a current coach could use that analogy for his inept coaching

Reply #345580 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I thought Flynn did a good job.
Not easy, playing away, with head coach being ejected and not actually having an assistant yourself.
I thought Townsville did a good job of weathering the storm, as the Hawks seized some momentum after the ejection with some Glover steals and some misses on Offense.
Holmes and Crawford were really solid for most of the game.

Reply #345584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please.. any asistant at this level would be more than capable of stepping into the reins at short notice and coaching the team well, they're part of everything so its not like they dont know the players, systems, game plan and opposition.

Reply #345639 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

The time out that was audible to tv sounded like a guy who was in control to me. Clear instructions about both ends of the court in an authoratative manner.

Weathered the inevitable comeback well and got the expected result.

I know he has coached fairly well in SA and in QBL so no reason to think he couldn't make the next step up in due course?

He has worked with Smyth, Gleeson and Woolpert now so should be starting to develop from the various styles of those guys.

Certainly a credible performance on the weekend.

Reply #345685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754