LC
Years ago

Opals star bashed by armed thugs

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/armed-gang-attacks-basketball-star-20120108-1pq6w.html

Rachel Jarry and her friend were assaulted with Ms Jarry repeatedly kicked and her friend suffering a possible fracture to her nose.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Threatened with knives ... Rachel Jarry in action for the Boomers during last year's WNBL season. Photo: Mick Connolly

'I still can't believe it happened. I feared for my life,' Jarry said. 'I can honestly say the Olympics didn't go through my mind at that point. Fearing for your life is a level above your career.

'Once we got out of it and I realised nothing was broken I knew I'd be all right.'

The two women were walking back to their car just before 2am when a group surrounded them in Lonsdale Street and threatened them with knives.

Jarry, who escaped with a bruised cheekbone and body bruising, said she hadn't been drinking and was just enjoying a Saturday night out, something WNBL players rarely get to do during the season.

The women gave up their valuables, including their phones and wallets, when confronted but say they were then set upon by the group.

'We were not out looking for trouble; we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time,' Jarry said.

I hope they get the bastards and lock them away...

Topic #27261 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow

Reply #345599 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They were caught and one was locked up and 2 released on bail. They attacked another group 10 mins later after Jarry's attack and were tracked down by police.

Reply #345601 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This happens all too frequently these days...sentencing needs to be tougher.

Reply #345602 | Report this post

I guarantee they will get less time than if they did it on a basketball court!!

Reply #345604 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

wow, knives to rob a couple of women, a bunch tough guys right there

Reply #345610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the main offender was a woman. She has been locked up till April.

Latest update..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/woman-faces-court-after-top-opal-rachel-jarry-bashed-at-federation-square/story-fn7x8me2-1226239460674

Reply #345621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Anstey wrote a tweet regarding this.

He basically said there's heaps of 6'6-7'0 ballers who'd love to meet this coward thugs.

Reply #345623 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i hate this thug mentality that think toughness is all about puffing out your chest and trying to establish dominion over others. then all they do is gang up on people in a situation where the victim is either outnumbered or carry weapons against someone unarmed. that's crazy, its the most cowardly act perpetrated by the most scared and uneducated people in the community.

to be honest these kids usually are not afraid of jail because

a) they are no stranger to it ie have been exposed through family etc.

and/ or b) jail to them is no threat because they have little or no prospects, and jail will probably look after them close to or better than they look after themselves.

we need to change this mentality. a good start would be with stereotypes of what we consider tough in the media.

the rock might have big muscles, but ild define toughness by the old lady who risks loss ( financially or in terms of personal suffering) to help, not blind to the consequences it could have on them, but in full understanding and in spite of what may become of them. thats toughness. not being cooler than someone and showing it. not being able to lift more, hit harder. its being able to go through with something that needs to be done in spite of being fully aware of the cost and bearing that burden to achieve it.

another thing we might want to do is brand these people. ok, so your not embaressed to gang bash a woman? ok, so if found guilty we can tattoo that on your forehead, if you think its an ok thing to do then you wont mind if we do that and you can remove it at your own cost.

Reply #345630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont mean to sound insensitive, in my opinion what happened was real cowardly & cruel. but these things happen so often these days, & to common folk who dont have the privledges of fame & automatic public support. what about those people and the ones who end up a lot worse off than this ? jarry has the strength to bounce back she is one of the lucky ones out there. others are maimed or killed then end up yeterdays news.

Reply #345832 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Phil you are part of the problem. The reason people turn to crime is because people like you don't give them a chance. You can have all the education in the world but if you've got a criminal record and nobody is willing to give you a chance than it's all useless isn't it. After a while you just think fuk it if everybody expects me to be a criminal i may as well just be one since i got nothing to lose anyway.

Reply #346005 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754