Officials managing coaches rant - Townsv v Hawks

In the Townsville buletin it has the following comments being made by Peter Carey (Ref Coach) to the officiating panel which relates to how he wants them to deal with coaches.

--------------

"What has been said is that referees should handle such situations in a manner that does not reflect badly upon the referee calling the technical foul. In such an emotional environment, the referee should not be perceived as being emotionally punitive or 'using a sledgehammer to break a peanut'," part of the email read.

During the television call of the game, commentator and former Wollongong coach Brendan Joyce described referee Michael Aylen as "being on a power trip" when he ejected Woolpert.

----------------

Who thinks that Michael Aylen had his sledgehammer out or who thinks that some of the Nbl coaches need to be much more respectful in the way in which they get the point across during games?

Either way, it seems that Tonwsville are going to use this advice from Carey in order to avoid the coach from being suspended.

I tend to think the Nbl need to take action so that the head-coaches realise there are consequences for there actions

Perhaps they should also be giving out fines so the league have more money to expand the league

I think I remember last year that a coach got a warning for deliberately running in to a Ref in Perth

Topic #27264 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

^^ I think the Perth incident was Gleeson?

He did get ejected when that happened.

Didnt really run into the ref either, he just didnt get out of the way as the ref was running up the side of the court, watching the game instead of watching the coach...

Reply #345644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refs are sometimes on a total power trip. you can see it they way one ref calls compared to the other on the same court when the other has the better view. they have three refs for a reason so there is a close ref that will see the action. a ref with the worse view should not be making the call they all need to be professional and let the ref closest to the foul make the call. mistakes like this is where emotion enters into the reffing. They're are not above acting petty they're still human. and comments should be made about them so they are forced to become more professional. or they will always be amateur and make the league look amateur.

Reply #345650 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In this instance, both parties are guilty, Woolpert for losing his cool on a trivial issue and the ref for overreacting.

Where the ref really went on his powertrip was by formally reporting Woolpert for a cut-and-dry issue that was more than adequately dealt with in-game. Referees need to remove "having their feelings hurt" from any officiating process.

Reply #345689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of crap.
Woolpert went ape shit and deserved to be reported.

"The American broke free of assistant coach Liam Flynn, who was trying to hold him back, and charged towards Aylen yelling - likely leading to the NBL's double charges of "Abusive Language" and "Unsportsmanlike Conduct".

Reply #345697 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Many of the comments in this post and in the previous post on this subject only go to prove the point (IMO) that officials/referees in basketball (at ALL levels) in Australia are treated poorly and with contempt, unfortunately by people who do not have a strong understanding of the rules. I stated in the previous post that referees in the NBA are treated with respect and their decisions are backed by the NBA administration. I do not believe that this is the case in the NBL given the comments by Peter Carey (who has NEVER actually refereed at the NBL level). From all reports Woolpert "was over the top" and was treated accordingly within the rules. The fact that he was then reported was also the correct decision. Carey's comments now give Townsville an "out" to allow any penalty to be "punitive" in the least. This type of comment would never have happened in the NBA because the NBA "RESPECTS AND SUPPORTS IT'S REFEREES". The comments from Brendan Joyce are laughable. Brendan has never had any respect for referees, from his playing days to his coaching. An example is the fact that as a spectator at a junior championship in Adelaide he was spoken to by officials for his rants at referees during a game and playing on his own self importance as an NBL (at the time) coach. I think that shows who "is on a power trip". The major problem with the way officials in most sports in Australia are treated and perceived is the "convict" type mentality towards authority and the "us" and "them" attitude. Until that attitude is changed (and it probably never will because it is ingrained) then officials/referees in sport in Australia will always be seen as the enemy.

Reply #345705 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Mick, do you know what Woolpert said in his rant?

For example if he audibly called the referee a cheat then I would expect him to be ejected, reported and go for a fine or suspension given how seriously this sort of allegation/statement can be treated.

If he just bitched about the call or about the earlier tech then maybe not.

Reply #345709 | Report this post

yesimaref  
Years ago

So Mick, tell me how the referee over reacted? You can see clearly in the vision from the game that he warns coach to not yell at him across the court as he will be technical fouled-this action was not taking a sledgehammer to a peanut.
As he then returned to position the coach then yells at him across the court! This then is penalised by a technical foul.
At this point the coach then steps in court, shakes a fist at the referee and yells at him that it's fucken bullshit. How should that not be penalised by another technical foul?
The coaches behaviour past that point was absolutely disgraceful and no matter the circumstances should never happen or be tolerated. That is why he was reported, not for his behaviour in being ejected but following the ejection.

Reply #345710 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Sorry Mick I missed your post prior to commenting. Mick, you are a prime example of the attitude of people to officials in general. Have you ever officiated any form of sport - apparently not - otherwise you would not make stupid, ingnorant and uninformed comments.

Reply #345715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON12

Peter Carey umpired in the AFL for a number of years including Grand finals. I am sure he would have an understanding of issues like this in high level sport.

He has also been actively involved in basketball as a referee at Big V championship level. Obviously not NBL level as you stated, but I would say he has a fair idea of the issues involved, otherwise he wouldnt have been appointed to the job.

The first post also quotes only part of the alleged email sent to NBL referees panel, so it is hard to judge without being privy to the whole email.

Didnt see the incident, I am sure Mick Aylen would have handled it in his stride. You dont get appointed to FIBA World Championships if you are perceived to "be on a power trip" .

Reply #345720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12, it'd be worth factoring in Mick's being a Townsville fan. Might have influenced his comment. At least he put some blame on Woolpert - that's a start!

Reply #345721 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No no you have got me wrong of course he should have been ejected for raving like madman, no matter whether his arguments were valid or not. I question whether then reporting him was necessary, and as an (purely hypothetical) aside wonder whether the same would have happened had the crocs lost.

Not defending Woolpert at all. While the crocs were definitely hard done by on some obvious calls, the one that made him blow up was the correct call anyway (I believe it was a non call where gill faded backwards away from an upright static defender on a shot attempt and fell down).

I think the incident was dealt with adequately in game and further reporting and punishment entirely unnecessary. The worst language I saw Woolpert use was "this is bullshit", and was only yelled post-ejection. Hardly abusive. Aylen is an experienced official and I thought the reporting of the incident showed a lack of confidence in himself of dealing with an on court issue.

Not sure if this is what happened here, but I hate when a referee cites "arguing" when a captain or coach asks for an explanation of a call (and this is an aside as Woolpert was agitated and not calm). I once was t'd for asking if a foul in a club game was a hands or body foul, so I could adjust the way I was playing D to suit and avoid the same call the next time down the court. Another ref would have calmly explained it to me in the downtime while the opponent was shooting free throws and subs coming in. This is a bit of a grey area with officiating, I know the rules state explicitly what kind of conversation is allowed between officials and players on the court, but every referee interprets this differently - some will explain calmly and without ego the call if politely asked, while others will treat you like a prisoner in 24hr solitary confinement in a high security prison who has a highly infectious disease. Of course constant questioning is annoying, but a once or twice a game explanation to a player or coach without any ego in the tone of voice (from either party) should be encouraged.

Reply #345726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, if someone is ejected a report must be made. Whether or not any additional penalty is applied is solely up to the tribunal.

Reply #345748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a coach/player is ejected for any reason, there should alot of the time be a report along with the incident. If the actions are bad enough to remove them from the game, they are in clear severe breach of the sports code of conduct, and they should be dealt with!

Fact is Aylen is just about the best referee going around in Australia, and there is probably some ego going along with that. However, it is not in his nature to be offended or hold a grudge against someone from their actions. The report is based on the incident in hand, and if bad enough to be ejected, it is certainly bad enough for a suspended reprimand.

J0yce is not a referee hater as is explained here. He has actually been involved with referee training clinics that have been run at national championships. Everyone is entitles to their opinion. (I havent seen the incident) - However if the incident is as explained, and everyone agrees he needed to be tossed well that J0yce is wrong. Everytime I listen to the NBL i hear morons commentating on things they no nothing about, this is nothing new people!

I hope the league suspends him for 1 game. They can use the 'punitive' defence all they want. Fact is he copped a T, kept going swearing and gesturing to a referee and copped another. Which fits directly inside the NBL's referee points of emphasis.

My predicted outcome is the League will go soft, maybe just maybe fine him and leave it at that.

Reply #345765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and alot of coaches in Australian Basketball need to be more respectful!

Reply #345766 | Report this post

An official  
Years ago

Mick, I reckon you are correct when you say that Ref's should be able to answer questions of coaches and players if they politely ask for explanation.

The word politely is the problem though.

In this case the Townsville coach was obviously complaining a lot and yelling across the court which all the coaches would be aware that is against the rules.

Aylen took the opportunity to head across during a stoppage and warn the coach that he should not yell across the court and gave him a chance

Of course the coach then takes this opportunity to complain more and yell more, in fact Aylen actually made sure he headed back across the court quickly after giving the warning which means if the coach wanted to argue the point he had to do it by yelling across the court which was exactly the instruction which Aylen had asked him politely not to do

The problem is that Officials can encourage positive communication all they like but if the coaches & players are rude and disrespectful then they should be dealt with accordingly otherwise the ref would loose respect anyway

Reply #345783 | Report this post

hah  
Years ago

So if Aylen hadn't gone back across the court the coach would not have needed to yell 'across the cour.t'

so you are saying it is the reds fault for creating he need for the poor communication?

Reply #345791 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Strange thing is Woolpert is normally the calmest coach in the league - he has an on court demeanour akin to a phil jackson or someone. I wonder what Aylen said to fire him up like that?

I can understand him making a snide, disrespectful comment in a calm, collected way, but the way he blew up like a raving madman is out completely of character, and is the sole reason I think Aylen MAY have said something to bait him.

AND BEFORE ALL YOU OFFICIALS BLAST ME HERE: I'm merely speculating. Just seems really out of character.

Your thoughts?

Reply #345794 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In reviewing the footage just now, it's clear that Woolpert was engaging in normal ref/coach banter, then pushed it too far, which is fine normal tech call.

The second second technical, that's when he blew up.

I don't think anyone is arguing the first T, it's whether the second was really absolutely necessary immediately afterwards.

Reply #345797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some would suggest that the lopsided foul count was the issue in the first place. I can never understand whay the fould count is expected to be even all the time. Clearly some teams can be more foul prone than another surely? In this case the crocs were apparently fouling more often and Woolpert chose to complain about that.

Reply #345851 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some AFL-watchers thought the umpires , all wired up , go OTT for the TV.
In our sport , the oncourt captain can ask for interpretations.

Reply #345862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you watch Woolpert from the very start of the game he was over the top way before he was dealt with.

That is the bigger issue here in Australia.

Referees can't win. If they do their job properly and deal with coach behaviour then they're labbelled as soft and trigger happy. If they try and be the nice guy and let coaches go a little then coaches push the boundries further and further.

It's been made very clear to all coaches at all levels that chasing referees down the sideline, jumping around waving your arms or yelling at referees across the court are all unacceptable. Woolpert was guilty of all three from the very start of the game, numerous times.

Deal with it early and every game and the problem will go away.

To further support ANON12, watch the footage of Flip Saunders in the NBA. Ejected 1:46 into the game. Broke the rules, paid the price. So simple. We need our referees to understand they're not there to be the nice guy or to keep people happy. They're there to manage the game, enforce the rules and sometimes be the bad guy.

Reply #345873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to get rid of the stigma involved with the technical foul. Once that is removed it wont hold the Wow factor oooooh you threw a tech!!!

In the NBA, Europe, Fiba a Tech is just a tech, not the big bad bogie man it is here.

Reply #345876 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Do all ejections from two technical fouls result in facing the tribunal? For players and/or coaches?

Reply #345890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At NBL they do not. It's my understanding that Woolpert was reported for his behaviour after being ejected from the game. Not for his behaviour which resulted in the 2 technical fouls and subsequent ejection.

Reply #345891 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Why did they only shoot 2 free throws and not 4? My understanding is that Aylen gave a warning, then gave a Tech. Woolpert went ape shit and Aylen said he could leave however only the single Tech was given hence the 2 free throws and not 4.

Players, Coaches and Referees have to adjust for each other. Aylen gave the Tech to Saville for trash talking. It was obvious from there he wasn't putting up with anything this game. Woolpert should have noticed that.

Reply #345935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude they shot 4

Reply #345941 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754