Flinders80
Years ago

High School vs Association Basketball

OK so I have tried to write this topic three times now and deleted it each time. English is not my strong suit. So please bare with me.

I often wonder if Sport in Australia took the wrong path in having Associations rather than just school sport.

I wonder what might have been in Australia.

- Could we have had high school rivalrys where most of the school attends to support their varsity team. I believe some of the Private Schools do this really well right now.

- Players being recruited by colleges all over Australia to play for them. Remembering whilst we are not the best league in the world guys could get a 4 year education whilst playing state league calibre games like the AIS used to play SEABL and not having to leave the country.

- Could we have had our own College Basketball teams that went across country to play against others as opposed to State league. Adelaide Uni vs Uni of Melbourne or a local Derby of University of Adelaide (Sea of Blue,White,Red down one end) vs Flinders University (Sea of Purple down the other). Setting up strong alumni in each University to give back to the university.

- Then having one team per state as a NBL team but changing the rules to make the game revolve around entertainment and not sticking to FIBA rules. eg. make the court bigger, 3 sec defensive rule

Ok there are probably many downs sides to this as well. But I see major upside in that we would be including sport in the curriculum rather than parents having to shell major fees to local clubs to play district and having to spend value family time at club sport.

Ok so I hope I got all that out and made some kind of sense. Would like to start oa debate on this to hear the pros and cons of High School Sport vs Associations.

Topic #27265 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the idea of it and have always dreamt of it. If only BA had the money, although it would also be a school cost. Then factors of popularity of the sport come into it, and whether schools can afford it, or if state schools can get the funding for it..

Would be very fun though and would help keep Good young Australian athletes in the classroom at least.

Reply #345682 | Report this post

YeTi  
Years ago

Flinders80, I think you've communicated effectively your treatise - would Basketball in Australia be better off IF it would have developed along the lines of the US system (Schools > College > Pro Bball), as opposed to how it actually developed (Club > Assocn > Pro Bball)?

Whilst this is really a theoretical question, the only supporting argument you've made is the one I've heard time and again - that is the passion and fevour that HS (to a lesser extent) and College ball has in the US, is missing in Aussie basketball, because we play Association Basketball. Sorry, this is an apples and oranges comparison; Basketball in Australia is not a first tier sport like it is in the states alongside Gridiron and Baseball, We do not have professionally administered University sport like the NCAA, and we are barely 8% of the population base of the US.

Asking (theorising) that BA could or should strip down the Club and Association structure that Aussie (and Europe) Basketball is built upon is also a bit short-sighted. Could they be doing more for HS or University level sport? No, I think University's could be doing a whole lot more. BA made concerted effort over the past few years, however AUS (Aust Uni. Sport) are so poorly funded that they are reluctant to give up the cash generating piss-ups that masquerade as Uni Games to focus on potentially high-cost and high-risk quality competition.

Once Universities (not AUS) recognise the value of Sport/Basketball to Campus life their Universities and invest in Scholarships and competition support then you may see less talent traffic crossing the Pacific. I apologise for focussing on the College/University part of the argument and not addressing the HS v Club part, however happy to add after a bit more input from others.

Reply #345688 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

interesting article today on GRantland about American College Football. well, more interesting was the footnotes and the books about College sports existing as a solely American phenonemon. there is no way we have the population or money base to sustain any form of that model. club /association system > education system. let the schools do what they were designed to do.

Reply #345701 | Report this post

CreativeDirector  
Years ago

I beg to differ. Private Schools with boarding facilities that cost $30k a year to attend need a competitive advantage over other schools. Elite sporting programs, with strong links to pathways can provide that advantage. I think our model will still very different to what exists in US because of our small population.

The links to pathways can be provided by district clubs and BA. The school must deliver on certain criteria to maintain these links.

At the end of the day money talks and a schools core business income generator is enrolments by delivering certain services. Strong culture of success. Great community feel. High academic standards. Access to pathways in sport and vocational fields etc. The problem for district clubs is its impossible to deliver the level of services or personnel required to deliver legitimately elite programs. You don't make money from this endeavour whereas schools can take a hit on these programs if they generate the enrollments.

Trust me I know of a number of private schools across Australia that are very keen to invest in sporting programs. What most of the schools don't realise is they need to work WITH sporting pathways, not against them, as some do, to deliver real meaningful outcomes to their bottomline AND their students. Imagine a daily training regime of been able to get to school at 8AM do a weights program under the guidance of a trained professional, then head straight to class, from class head to the school gym, train from 3.30 - 4.30 and home in time for dinner and homework and whatever else kids want to do. The way our athletes currently work is inefficient for the athletes and causes burnout. IE get home from school at 4.15pm, have tea, get ready for basketball, drive 10-20 mins to basketball, train for 2 hrs, travel home again, home by 9ish, with no time to do anything.

School programs have Al Green, Mark Davis, Kevin Brooks coaching there. However the athletes do the vast bulk of their development in their district clubs. To me this is an inefficient use of resources and these people should be coaching where the athletes do the bulk of their development. If schools were stakeholders in basketball pathways and vice versa then these resources would be allocated where its most needed.

Its up to basketball clubs and pathways to see this opportunity understand what drives our private schools and make it in their interest.

Reply #345714 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Totally with you Flinders80. What good do associations provide apart from being money hungry, passionate and meaningless.

Reply #345792 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Tyrell - That was not the point I was trying to make

CreativePoint was more on the money.

I was also not suggesting a change. I don't think would ever be possible.

Just throwing it out there and wanting to know the main differences in the two styles of basketball progression. Whose to say one is better than the other.

I think the point I was making is how to we get more passion into sport in Australia. Take new orleans with a population on 1.2m people. Not to dissimilar to Adelaide. Ok so bit of a stretch here but Adelaide Crows being the equivalent to New Orleans Saints. Average attendance at New Orleans saints games in 2011 around 69,000. Crows average in 2011 was 30,000

What ever they are doing to make a city come together to be passionate about one team. Ok so the floods and them winning probably played some part in the city coming together.

But like I said in my first post I wonder if its more about the entire process from High School to College to Pro Ball. Are we spreading a fan base in each town two small. Heading to a basketball example.

New Orleans Hornets 15,998
Adelaide 36ers Around 4,800

Ok I'm sure some not great comparisons there but I know I would much rather school spirit and rivalrys created that makes them passionate about something. Go to a Friday night game and see how many non basketball familys are there to watch the games. Now if School sport was played during a time when students could attend, are you likely to increase the amount of people turning up. PAC vs St Marys intercol game is a great example of people turning up to the game in school passion.

Reply #345799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcxeh8K-g28

Very low standard of basketball would have being played, the good players on teh floor were district players but look at the passion!

Reply #345803 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I agree with your comments flinders80- but I am asking as an aside-What good do associations provide apart from being money hungry, passionate and meaningless?

Reply #345807 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Anonymous, that is exactly the passion I'm talking about. But what about the size of the crowd. Mostly fellow students I believe

Reply #345812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell, a pathway, development structures and people to develop players. 100% of the kids at National CHampionships play for an Association, 100% of Australian Athletes in teh NBL came through an association, 100% of athletes in US College scholarships from Australia came through an association.

0 came through the school system.

Australian Basketball pathways are respected internationally.

Reply #345814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Tyrell you got owned!

Reply #345823 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'll cop that! I'm not a fan of the association 'way'- would much prefer the college/high school system for reasons already mentioned!

Reply #345838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't say 0 came through a school system in the future with the amount of aussie kids going on exchanges for basketball in the U.S, and even some Aussie schools have a basketball program which gets kids into college.

Reply #345844 | Report this post

Z  
Years ago

I played district for years and now coach, and one of the best games I have ever been involved in was in high school, in a round robin tournament. I played for a public school and travelled to a high priced private school, they packed out the stadium, and the noise was huge. It was incredible to play in front of a huge crowd at a young age(we won by a point! - still would of been a great experience if we lost).

Having bball running through schools has my support, it would cost less, kids would get involved, spectating and playing, more kids would be exposed to the game. Jobs would be created, schools would need a fultime bball coordinator-coach.

My son often tells me kids at his school want to play district, once the parents find out the cost, plus the travelling to 2 training sessions they dont bother, the kids continue to play soccer. If bball was a program they could have try, training would either be during or after school at school. Cost would be minimal.

Great dream, might happen one day, but i doubt it.

Reply #345866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually this is a good debate and I can see both sides. What bothers me about this is how can a high school approach to basketball development versus an association model be better when we have so few players playing basketball.

We currently complain about the competitiveness of the district scene due to either a lack of good players or as some believe a lack of development by certain clubs. I believe it is a bit of both but moreso the number of good athletes selecting basketball as their sport of preference.

Anyway, we have 10 associations and a lack of competitiveness. How is that level of competitiveness improve when you spread the talent over a greater number of high schools. I believe it will just be weakened. Now, what might work better is having high schools aligned with an association and the association, in conjunction with the schools, promote and develop basketball.

Reply #345881 | Report this post

Z  
Years ago

Good point #345881.

Competitiveness:

Schools could be graded, we currently have about 5 divs. Therefore schools could be put in divs and they work there way to the top division. From my experience years ago, plently of schools had talent, and they were basically combine district teams.

More kids would be involved as there is more exposure to the sport, with more kids = more competitiveness.

Playing in front of crowd also creates competitiveness. And there would be crowds, for example due to kids hormones, boys will check out the girls and vice-versa, and it could be the thing to do, kids follow the pack, if the cool kids are at the game, then its the place to be (sad world...i blame the media).

Add in scholarships and this also may add a competetive edge, play hard, get good grades or back to the troublesome school.

Reply #345888 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I played district for 10 yrs and the best atmosphere I played in were when our high school (willunga) played on the road in a packed gym against cabra and another game vs wirreanda. Also hosted cardign college one year. Lost all 3 games but loved it. Bring on high school ball. Someone above mentioned the price of club ball scares parents- dead right!

Reply #345961 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

When I played basketball High School basketball there were no divisions when I played, there was only one division. So if you don't make the high school tryout you miss out on playing. Now I know some have suggested divisions but I know when I played friday night basketball in my local High School there was no divisions if you failed to make the team your were out. Club basketball includes everyone weather your good or you need a chance to improve your game.

Reply #346116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754