Isaac
Years ago

Round 6 POTW

The Advertiser's POTW for Round 6 in the ABL went to Leah Mencel (32 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks) and Jason Warhurst (29 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists).

In the womens league, I think Kelson was very unlucky not to get it (15 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists, 7 steals! 6 turnovers is really the only detractor.)

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised by the men's pick. Puddifoot had 18 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists and 4 steals to go very, very close to a triple-double, and the Warriors only lost by 4 at Wayville. The other solid games for the round were Oscar Forman (26 points, 22 rebounds), Reggie (23 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists) and Ben Evans (26 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists).

In fact, my copy of the boxscore shows Warhurst as having 6 rebounds, not 9.

Perhaps it was simply a case of the Mavs getting the win against fancied opposition?

Of those other 4 statlines I mentioned, only Evans and Forman played for winning teams.

Who would've been your pick?

Topic #2727 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I would have thought Vandenbergh should have got it. Maybe as they lost too fairly crappy opposition cost him?

Reply #30760 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bizzy, the quality of your posts is what's crappy. West are sitting 3 and 3, and have taken it up to Forrestville and South in two of their losses.

Getting the W at Starplex anytime this year will be tough.

Reply #30762 | Report this post

Bum Chum  
Years ago

Isaac, so in other words, you would pick oscar!!!!

Reply #30778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well yes (he was one board short of out-rebounding South's entire starting five!), but I do automatically reduce my bias in a case like this and would have probably picked Puddifoot. Well-rounded stat-line, also got those 4 steals. Only really suffered in FG% (6-22 from memory). And they did lose, but only just, and it was while playing away from home at Wayville against a strong team.

The HSA rating favours players strong in all fields and weights assists more heavily than rebounds and points (unlike the general EFF calculation), so hopefully no one bothers accusing me of bias there (Oscar's excited if he's credited with two assists even!). I think it gives a fairly accurate picture of the top players and games.

Reply #30781 | Report this post

your kidding  
Years ago

6 from 22 in a losing team and you want to make him player of the week

Reply #30802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

god everyone is a critic
why not make informed criticism or comments and not just bag Isaac for his input

a) not only is he supplying the ability to make such a post

b) is offering informed comments and is aware and open of his bias towards Oscar which is only natural

good job Isaac I appreciate your points of view

Reggie for my pick.

Reply #30805 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Should have definately been Oscar as player of the week. How can you go past 26 points and 22 rebounds? There's no bias there from Isaac.

Reply #30807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, you can be Most Supportive Poster of the Week. ;)

"your kidding", alright, then give it to Oscar. The selector shunned Oscar's 37 and 16 last round (must not have been at the game!) for Phillips who had a more rounded performance (29, 8 and 7 or something like that) so I figured that they had a preference for a fuller statline or were going with those from winning teams.

The difference between Warhurst and Forman was basically 3 points, 4 assists, a steal and 3 turnovers vs 16 rebounds, 3 blocks (and no turnovers in 46 minutes). The turnovers negate the steal at worst, and I'd take 3 blocks over 3 points. Even if I didn't know either of those players, I'd pick those 16 extra rebounds over 4 assists. No one else in the league is even averaging 16 boards.

Anyway, it's something to discuss either way!

Reply #30811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Isaac is open and upfront and extremly proud of his brother no problem with that

Good on you Isaac!!....

Reply #30814 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think I'd agree with Isaac on both counts. Oscar's 26 & 22 in beating South is a more impressive statline that Warhurst's 29, 6 & 5. Though Eastern's half-upset of North at hillcrest probably played some part in Jason getting the award.

Vikki was pretty stiff not to have received the girls award with a great statline against quality opposition. Mencel's 32, while impressive for a 17 year old, came against Centrals, which is probably easier than her scoring 32 in U18s on a Friday!

Had Puddifoot got Woodville over the line, then he could possibly have been in contention. There's not THAT much difference talent-wise between Woodville (with Rees) and Forestville (sans Newley), and 6/22 shooting probably killed his chances.

26, 10 & 5 from Evans would have been even more impressive had they defeated Centrals with Watson playing.

As Isaac said, something to discuss anyhow (there's really no right or wrong!) and those are my thoughts!

Reply #30816 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

without sounding cyncial, its pretty obvious most of the post-ers in this thread weren't at hillcrest (and likewise, i didn't see any other game), but i agree with Warhurst POTW. Not only were his stats impressive, but his court leadership, and often timing of his points were crucial to Eastern's win. Severel times in the 3rd and 4th quarters the rockets would make a run only to be answered by a J.Warhurst three, or change of game tempo. POTW, i believe, is not just about the stats, if it were then i too would have given it the O.Forman, but i think it is more about contribution to a team, and other qualitative (?? un-measurable ??) factors.

As for the women, considering Mencels stats, it hasn't been metioned she only played 16 mins (reported by the 'tiser). Makes her performance even more remarkable.

Reply #30832 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It was against centrals! It's not that hard...

Reply #30834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does south meet centrals, i am sure you couldn't prodcue that sort of return.

Two points every minute... you wouldn't even come close!

Reply #30835 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

he's referring to how bad centrals women are dipshit!

Reply #30836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jeez lloyd, i bet you teachers are glad its school holidays, you must be a pain in the arse, hope you dont speak to your parents the same way, or is that why your on the net?? you grounded little fella?

i am quite sure JB said "It was against centrals! It's not that hard..."

this would mean he was talking about the club, not the womens specifically. And by saying its not that hard... Lloyd, Lloyd are you still reading, not getting to deep on you yet, by saying its not that hard, infers he could produce similar returns. If he meant something else, then you are a better mind reader than I.

Reply #30838 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It would be quite easy for most knowledgable readers to know I was talking about Centrals women who would lose week in week out on an average of about 70 points.
And for he fact that the discussion topic was based on Mencel scoring 32 on Centrals WOMEN again I thought it would have been obvious. Sorry anonymous next time I'll spell it out for the simple (obvoius again because you don't even know how to spell your name..) people such as yourself...

Reply #30839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon and Lloyd,

The important thing is to breathe. Anon I'm sure you got it wrong, I'm 99% sure Panther meant that the Centrals woman are pretty average at the moment. It was in regards to Leah Mencel so why would he clarify his point by adding he means Centrals women and not men. Leah's good but she won't be lining up in a mens ABL team anytime soon.

I think you both just jumped the gun and need to take a chill pill guys.

Reply #30840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay mate, i missed the point, when you said "its not hard" i thought you meant you could match that feat. But, i think the way you've been playing, and the way South Women have been playing, you'd struggle to get on the bench of your womens team.

Where's Lloyd gone, nap time already?

Reply #30841 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

still here mate, my teacher has just put me to bed, i think you might refer to her as mum?

Reply #30844 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The way i've been playing??? What's wrong with the way i'm playing???
Sorry, because I don't know your name just remind me which NBA team you play for?

Reply #30846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lloyd, so Juvenile, i was doing mum jokes when you were taking jam sandwiches to primary school...

last year.

Reply #30847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with your temper, its easy to guess who is leading the league in fouls. I am not deying you cant play, but the way you go about it...

5 Fouls in 23 mins v Sturt
5 Fouls in 26 mins v Eastern
5 Fouls in 28 mins v West
(1 Foul, only played 7 mins v North)
5 Fouls in 22 mins v Southern
6 Fouls in 20 mins v Lions

When you were playing with the pioneers, you had the same intensity, but a bit more smarts about you. I am not a having a dig, i reckon your not far off the form of Mt Gambier, but your problem is mental.

Reply #30849 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Anonymous, I think you better check on your Mum!!!

Lloyd never jokes about anything as serious as this, or his beloved 76ers!!

Lloyd, I don't think AI & CWebb can get them past the Pistons in the 1st Round.

Reply #30850 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Mental...hmmm interesting. I don't know if I would say "mental" as I've always fouled! Whether it was pioneers or not. So really I don't know what your on about. I've been top 10 in the nation for probably the last 7 seasons...c'mon anonymous check your stats...

Reply #30856 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I for one, am a fan of the mum joke. A timeless classic.

Anon, you got worked. Accept it, move on.

I know you hate school holidays. There's no where to park your car with a bag of lollies.

Try Marion shopping centre tonight. Plenty of kids to look at there.

Reply #30859 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Nice work Doc...

Reply #30860 | Report this post

joe mayo  
Years ago

check on that one doc. doll papers are due anon.

Reply #30868 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

you guys are all suckers, anon's gone fishing, and your all biting! Even got you hooked doc!

Back to the topic, i think Oscar was harshly done by, 26 and 22 are impressive, but, i didn't see Warhurst's game. Did shoot well according to box scores, 5/10 3's i think.

Reply #30869 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, you can be as biased as you like. Its great to see so much brotherly love. Unlike my two that fight like cats and dogs all time and insult each other with name calling.

Reply #30880 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I would have given it to Puddifoot personally with a stat line like that it's pretty impressive. Just one assist of a triple double that's pretty good, triple doubles are few and far between and he added 4 steals. If I didn't give it to Puddifoot I would have to have given it to Oscar for obvious reasons that's my two cents anyway.

Reply #30918 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

why was Erin Phillips overlooked for player of the week, she had a triple double with 15 points, 10 boards and 10 assists, a very well rounded game!

Reply #31013 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Fair point Dr. Dunk. Good effort, though you'd expect no less from a WNBA drafee! Her triple double can against the Mavs, who are not particularly strong in the 2/3 spot. I'd still give it to Vikki, for putting up those numbers against an Olympian!

Perhaps they were trying to reward some 'lower profile' players for exceptional performances this week? I guess Leah doesn't really count as 'lower profile' but she is new to the ABL scene. Oscar, Vikki, Erin etc. are or have been playing national league and are somewhat 'expected' to put up big numbers.

Reply #31015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754