Isaac
Years ago

Sixers look to retain Johnson and Creek

"We have spoken to both players, not in detail, but we know they are very happy with the 36ers," Sixers chief executive Leeanne Grantham said.

"They're happy and settled in Adelaide and have partners living in Adelaide. We've had email contact with DJ's agent and Daniel has certainly said he's really happy here. Mitch came and saw me and said he was keen to stay."
Boti's article notes that the two are arguably the best available players for their given points values (seven and three respectively).
Naturalised four-time club MVP Ballinger, recovering from ankle surgery, is out of contract at season's end. Injured Nathan Crosswell and Stephen Weigh have contracts next season.
Full article

Great news IMO. Both still have holes in their games, but are strong talents for their age. Have enjoyed watching DJ play this year especially.

Topic #27282 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Having spoken to both players, they love playing for Marty.

Reply #346032 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Get Simpson signed too ,hes been almost our best player alongside DJ.Be good to sign the players asap before the new clubs offering them big bucks,DJ has been outstanding and will only improve his game by staying at one club.hope club sign players soon ,not at season end.

Reply #346034 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Both players would probably attract more money elsewhere, some of Ballinger's salary will have to go towards their new contracts to convince them being second last on the ladder isnt so bad?

Reply #346036 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon they both need to be signed up by season's end. Simpson too. I know this will get people worked up, but I reckon Balls needs to be cut - age and injury.

Reply #346039 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Balls might have a role at a a reduced salary, but his problem will be his points rating. Might 'rate' him out of a job unless he can get re-rated.

Reply #346044 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

You would think that Johnson and Creek would be re-rated up, and that Ballinger and Helliwell would be re-rated down.

My understanding is that ratings are always reviewed when contracts are extended and/or submitted, but that rule always seems to change every couple of years. Pretty sure that clubs have requested re-ratings down during a contract period, as ratings are linked to minutes played and current form, which can all change for various reasons.

Reply #346047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe there is a clause whereby a player can show that their rating will otherwise keep them out of a job, and have it reduced. That wouldn't really come into play in early negotiations though.

Not sure how much they factor injuries into the decision. I think stats/efficiency play a reasonable part in it.

Hard to see him out of a job completely if a new team is coming in. They will have full caps to work with.

Reply #346050 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

The rating of the original contract is maintained.

Creek is a 1 not a 3

Goulding is still a 1 as is Cadee as they both have kept their AIS rating

If Mitch goes to another team his points value will change.

The premise is to encourage teams to sign young talent and develop them.

Reply #346055 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they can re-sign Mitch as a 1 rating player then they really need to sign him.

Try to make it a 2-3 year contract with no Euro out-clause.

Reply #346066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not sure players retain original ratings anymore. I remember reading something that the initial signing period last off-season was the last time that was to be allowed.

Reply #346072 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah , something like that rings a bell , paul .
Could we get Helliwell down a coupla points.
He could marry his twin , Suze Batkovic and they could hang around here for a while.

Reply #346073 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like Balls but I think for the Sixers to move forward they need to let him go. To be honest I think the writing was on the wall when we acquired an import PF.

Use Balls points and salary to get a quality SG or go hard after someone like Anthony Drmic.

Warren is a toss up but I think we need a bigger PG but one that still has range from outside.

Starting point for the team needs to be;

DJ
Simpson
Weigh/Creek
Balls Replacement/Creek
Warren or bigger version/ Crosswell

Maybe hold onto Ng for instant offense?

Reply #346076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if they cannot re-sign Simpson? Do you toss your captain and MVP away, just because of an injury? I can see why he might not get re-signed if you can hold onto Simpson for a few years, but if thats not the case, who do you then replace BOTH of those two with?

Reply #346082 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

If they lose Simpson, keep Ballinger and get two need guard imports

If DS stays just get a new, bigger, physical, defensive minded,pass first PG

Reply #346087 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

@paul if the players don't retain their internal ratings then the Blaze are over the points cap according to the numbers on www.nbl.com.au

The Blaze have a team totalling 75 points

Reply #346088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be that the rule was changed part way through Goulding's last contract and that they still have him as a one point player until his contract ends.

They couldn't have points values change year-by-year across multi-year deals because you'd have situations where teams would go over the cap yet have contracts to honour.

Reply #346097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know both players are keen to stay. We need to get williamson back, from what i have been told he is league mvp quality.

Reply #346118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure how you could make Williamson work with DJ and Simpson. If he could play SF, I guess, as he seemed pretty mobile on tape, but I thought he was more of an undersized PF without a lot of range. If you were desperate, could do something like:

Dellavedova/Crosswell/Daly or Bartlett
Creek/Ng
Weigh/Herbert
Williamson/Simpson
Johnson/Helliwell (or someone cheap/low points)

I think Delly would match Warren's output and beat him on D. Simpson would be a power sub, 6MOTY-type. Would be hard pressed to get the money for that team unless Dellavedova was cheap, and he shouldn't be. Simpson would want more, Williamson who knows, Johnson and Creek will want a bit more. The stocking-fillers like Ng, Herbert and Helliwell would be hard to replace with cheaper but better players, especially if a new team starts up.

Reply #346141 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

DJ would be my absolute priority signing for next year so its good news that he wants to stay. Simpson should be priority #2. I hope we keep Creek too, though I think the Sixers should focus on getting the very best Aussie guard they can lay their hands on first.

Reply #346142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I no its tuff to fit Simpson and Williamson in but from what I've heard Williamson looked amazing and would like to come back. It's all about if we can get an Aussie pg.

Reply #346143 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Surely you would struggle to find a convincing argument to down grade a player's points whilst at the same time you need to offer the salary of a higher graded player to re sign them to your team. Whilst loyalty to one club is rewarded, if for example Creek was to go to another club because they offered more money, then that would be reason to review his points and upgrade them. Player's points value should be like the value of houses, the more someone is willing to pay, the higher the value.

Reply #346145 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Johnson will be 8 or 9 . Creek 4 or 5.
Ballinger maybe 8. Helliwell 6 .
That's with us or another club .

Reply #346157 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In Maher , we had loyalty to one club , in the old NBL. He played here at 5 or 6 and would've been 9 or 10 if moved to another club . Things changed a coupla years ago , vide BA/newNBL.
There would be improvement in Johnson and Creek
and hopefully Weigh , if they were here during the offseason.
Mottram seems to have a lotta fans on here . I think he played here once before and we had try outs for 10th and DP spots , he was injured and Helliwell got paid out by Melbourne.
We have a new team every year , be good to keep some toghether , this time.

Reply #346194 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - we could have a player auction every year, run by Andrew Gaze and one of those auctioneers from the Mecum Auto Auctions.

I'm picturing Helliwell at the end with a very sad face after no one bid on him.

Reply #346196 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I am not sure that is right Camel
If a players ranking change year in and year out how are they supposed to be signed to a multi year deal?

Perth have locked away there core for the next 2 years plus. By what you have suggested they will have to break up their team because some players will be increasing in points value.

I am sure Abercrombie is still a 3 for the Breakers. If he becomes a 9 then they will have to off load him or two other players to keep him.

Reply #346197 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You gotta read nbl.com.au - player points ranking
paras and sub paras.
The same ranking applies to length of the contract.
After the contract is finished , a new ranking is applied to the player and THAT team.

Reply #346198 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

There never is a new contract just an extension of the existing

Reply #346204 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , if we extend their existing contracts now , they'd be at the same points ranking . Aw , I get it and thanks.
If we let it go to free agency they'll be higher ranked.

Reply #346209 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once again, unless there was an extension option written into the original contract I think the points rating changes. Pretty sure points rankings only hold for the length of the contract.

Does anyone know if Johnson or Creek had a third year option in their contracts?

Reply #346212 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This is all very speculative, but I would assume that the benefit of re-signing, say, Johnson and Creek before they go out of contract is that you get to sign them at this years' external player points ranking, rather than next years' rating, which is not yet known but will undoubtedly go up.

Reply #346214 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

or you wait and see what there new points are and date the contract accordingly. Hello Seamus

Reply #346215 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

XY, I think you are right, If you sign them before the new point systems is released you sign them for those points and not the new ones. Which gives their current team more advantage than if a player change teams.

Reply #346218 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

And what about the coach? Not professional in that he cant get these guys together and play a game. If you dont believe me look at where the team is on the ladder and their stats.
Hard to believe he is in the Australian team coaching group. They must watch him and think, good idea we wont do that

Reply #346565 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

simpson out
williamson in?

Reply #347964 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Just a confirmation that there's no internal ratings anymore, and unless there's a contract extension in the contract any new contract, even if signed before the end of the season, will be for the new points ratings...

Exceptions this season were only a handful of players like Goulding and Damian Martin, the later, even though he signed a new 3yr deal, the first year of that is a contract extension, so is valid on his very low previous points ratings, but the remaining two years of that contract will be at his 11/12 ratings...

Reply #347994 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Must keep Simpson. You can build around this guy for years if he continues to improve each year.

Reply #348052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754