HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 15

Ok, here we go with Round 15 of the 2011-12 NBL season. Only one I suppose 'upset win' in term of the teams who won this round but a couple of the crowds were very good indeed.

Breakers vs 36ers - 4,400 @ NSEC (100%)
Hawks vs Taipans - 2,713 @ WEC (45%)
Wildcats vs Blaze - 4,000 @ CS (89%)
Crocodiles vs Kings - 4,657 @ TEC (87%)
Tigers vs Blaze - 3,500 @ SNC (100%)

I'll admit to error on my part. I've been going on seated capacity for the NSEC and forgot standing room. But that's past and a great sold out capacity crowd in Auckland on Friday night and a big improvement over the 2,893 that saw the Rd.4 clash between the Breakers and Adelaide.

Hawks home crowds are sinking faster than the Titanic sunk into the North Atlantic a little over 100 years ago. Not only was the 2,713 crowd for the Hawks vs Blaze game the lowest of Wollongong's season it was the lowest in the NBL save the Blaze vs Taipans game in Brisbane in Rd.2 which only attracted 2,048. Still, I'm wondering right now if its more to do with the Hawks current 7 game losing streak than any lack of support for the team in Wollongong. I dare say crowds would regularly be over 3,000 at least if the Hawks were in the top 4 or 5 instead of anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Yet another 4,000+ home crowd for the Wildcats and good to see. Along with Cairns they are the only team this season not to post a crowd under 4K. Can't really do much better except for posting a capacity crowd every game.

A sold out crowd at The Swamp for the Crocs 20th Anniversary celebrations and a crowd of 4,657. Less than capacity but is still damn good, especially for Townsville. They also saw a great win by the Crocs over the Kings in double OT and another outstanding performance by Jacob Holmes. Question remains though, will crowds up in FNQ go back to normal from the next home game or will the fact the Crocs are winning keep more than the usual coming back?

Despite another loss (they've been getting beat a lot more since Patty Mills left...) it was Melbourne's 5th capacity crowd for the season. They need a bigger venue, simple as that. I bet they can't wait for Margaret Court Arena to get its roof in 2014. But still, a capacity crowd is a capacity crowd and the only criticism I have is the size of the Tigers home court. What happened to the days when 15,000+ would turn up to Rod Laver Arena?

So there you have it. A very good crowd in Auckland, another shocker in the `Gong, business as usual in Perth, legends draw a bigger crowd in Townsville then the current crop and the State Netball Centre proved once again to be a good, but too small a venue for the NBL.

An almost average week lol.

Topic #27329 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love your posts. Keep them going each week!

Reply #346734 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Despite shocking TV coverage from Ten and minimal print media in the capital cities apart from Adelaide and Perth I think the NBL is heading in the right direction despite still having a bunch of simpletons running the league.

Reply #346735 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Positive signs for the NBL surviving the chopping block

anyone heaidng to Kings game this Friday?

Reply #346752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

townsville crowd this round was lower than last round

Reply #346765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your full attendance number for Townsville is wrong - it is not 5257

Reply #346777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just re-read my post above and thought it looked a bit angry - so i apologise for that HoldenV8!

The full house number at the TECC is 5151 so for that game it was 91%

btw thanks for you weekly posts - good info!

Reply #346803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It used to be 5257 for years?

Reply #346807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't quite understand why you post attendances nor understand how 20,000 for the total attendance is heading in the right direction? to me,a national sport that drags in those numbers isn't very healthy.
I keep hearing about the glory days when crowds were really up. Can anyone put a ball park figure on the numbers weekly across the country in the halcyon days?

Reply #346863 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

As far as I know the capacity of the Townsville Entertainment Centre (for basketball) is 5,257. I'll try to confirm that with centre management and/or the Crocs but hey, I'm not holding my breath...they didn't reply to a question about the attendance figure for the Wildcats game so I'm not expecting an answer there.

Anon #346863, 20K for the round isn't bad in today's market and there is definite room for growth. When the NBL folded a few years back and when they lost teams like the Titans, Dragons, Falcons, Cannons etc they also lost a lot of fans. It takes time to win new fans but getting back older fans who's favourite teams are no longer competing is much harder and a lot would never come back.

As it was 19,270 attended Rd.15 but the total capacity (as best I know) was only 23,357 so it was a pretty good round attendance wise, other than the game in Wollongong. This round saw 4 of the 5 games played in the league's smallest venues (Melbourne, Auckland, Perth & Townsville) so an AFL type attendance figure you won't see.

If the teams with the 5 largest venues all had home games on the same weekend and all posted capacity crowds (Breakers @ Vector Arena, Kings, 36ers, Hawks and Taipans) then the total crowds would still only be 41,817.

I'll admit I don't have attendance figures from the glory days of the 1990's but I do know that Adelaide & Perth played pretty much every home game in front of 8K and 8,200 respectively. The Tigers, Magic & Bullets played often to 8-10K+ crowds and larger for finals. The Giants played to 6K+ crowds at The Glasshouse while the Kings usually played to 7 or 8K crowds despite the performance often not matching their hype. If only it was like that today.

Reply #346873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4731 for NYE in Townsville vs Perth

Reply #346876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HoldenV8 do you know what the season average is? And if so, are the numbers on track to be up again? The nbl announced an 11% increase last season on the season before, and a 5% increase the year before that, so just wondering if crowds are still going up. By the looks of it, attendances have remained steady so I don't think there is much of an improvement - though of course we didn't have a new franchise rejoining the league (like the Sydney Kings) that pushed up the average.

While we have yet to get an 8500 crowd this season, there seems to be more 6000+ games being announced.

Interested to know what the average is this season anyway.

Reply #346886 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

And further to your last post Holden, it's not unreasonable to suggest Melbourne and Perth could bump their average attendances up by another 1500 and 2000 respectively if they played in larger venues.

Reply #346900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were plenty of small crowds in the early days, but we tend to just remember the big ones.

Reply #346907 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Austadiums has ten years worth of data, but it will be incomplete - for example last year virtually none of melbourne's figure went in which would have dragged the average down.

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp.php?sid=4

This data is very misleading viewed in this way, different years had different numbers of teams, and therefore more aggregate games, different fixtures (some games played in tiny regional venues) and crackpot franchises (playing at MSAC! Sydney Spirit! etc).

I do recall crowd averages in excess of 5500 in the 90's, which were remarkable considering some of the venues maximum capacity was even smaller than we have now. Geelong and the old Gold Coast from memory had significantly smaller full house capacity than Melbourne for example.

I remember Geelong left the NBL (where it maxed out at 2000 people) and miraculously grew 600 seats - the SEABl media guide a couple of years back showed Geelong's biggest ever SEABL crowd at 2600!

I have mentioned before that the last two seasons the NBL has got the conditions right for MUCH better crowds (FTA, longer season scheduling, more spaced games, removal of Wednesday games and the return of the Kings.) As such to me, even an 11% increase last year (which i do not think is accurate) can be attributed almost solely to the return of the Kings which means the other clubs collectively have not capitalized.

Reply #346908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All teams bar Gold Coast held steady or increased last year. Really good result. Crowds have grown again this year despite poor scheduling with Sunday night games. NBL and clubs are doing a very good job of building slowly but surely. We all want to see a 5500 average, and getting over 4000 two years in a row and growing is on the way back to that.

If Perth move to the bigger arena and Adelaide and Sydney start winning then you have "the conditions right for MUCH better crowds".

Reply #346920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, criticisms suggestion at the sport is moving in the right direction, but doesn't know past figures themselves. Nice.

Reply #346921 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon #346920

The 2010/11 season had excellent conditions for growth as opposed to 2009/10.

- Significantly better fixturing (25 weeks instead of 21)
- Removal of Wednesday night games
- Live FTA (remember EVERYONE saying this would be the saviour for crowds and the league)
- Return of the Kings (this was meant to be good for ALL teams, not just Kings home crowds)

Austadiums shows crowds increased 11%, which is consistent with the league's numbers, but we know that in 2010/11 austadiums did not get many of either NZ's or Melbourne's crowds which meant it probably over reported the average and therefore the increase.

Wollongong, Gold Coast and Townsville's crowds were static at best, Cairns exceptional and Sydney quite stunning considering their win/loss. Adelaide dropped slightly from memory. Melbourne I think dropped last year from the year before. That does not correlate with your picture. In short, last season, Sydney's crowds, being well above league average, basically dragged the whole league average up.

I agree it will be interesting to see what Perth do in a bigger venue. Adelaide have done better with crowds this year despite not "winning".

I also agree there is a bug in the fixturing this year with Sunday's, but I don't think anyone is saying the bug is as bad as Wednesday nights - maybe it is.

The overall league averages are misleading, but we use them because we have little detail on individual markets, it would be nice to look at each market in detail.

Reply #346927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep austadiums is not a very good guide at all. Which is a shame because it has the potential to be quite informative. Last season, they never reported or given access to Melbourne's crowds, or NZ's. There's also too many "TBA" crowds throughout the years so getting an accurate number is impossible.

It shits me that the a-league for example monitors their crowds very closely and places a high importance to their attendances, yet the NBL seem to be a bit relaxed and don't seem to put as much effort into their crowd monitoring (that's what it seems to me anyway)

Reply #346932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne were up last year, their 2010 crowds were their lowest in a long time. I think it's pretty clear the crowds have been excellent overall this year.

There is a real base to build on if the clubs keep working at it. This coupled with the fact people are still watching late at night is also good news.

Too early to get excited, but things are definitely heading in the right direction. Crowds this year could well be 1000 above some years in the past decade which would be a very good achievement.

Anyway, this discussion seems to come up every other week!!

Reply #346942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another reason why attendance figures may have increased/decreased is the way they are published. For example Adelaide orginally announced attendances by the GM basically doing a head count "looks full, 8,000!"

Then once barcoding was introduced the club announced attendances as those attending the game, actually in the building.

Now the 36ers announce attendances as total tickets allocated, even if those people don't show up.

Stats like attendances are going to be inaccurate until we're comparing oranges to oranges which at the moment we're not.

Reply #346949 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers just announced that tonights game Vs Melbourne has sold out at NSEC making it their 3rd sellout in a row correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #347080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754