Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Response to Ubaka Situation

The poor treatment of Ayinde Ubaka and the inaction of the NBL continues.

Ubaka has been kicked out of his accommodation despite this being a clear breach of the agreement between the players and the league. The NBL's response is they think this is a good idea while things settle down.

This comes after the NBL refused to publish a press release from the NBL Player's Association and the reason they gave was it wasn't appropriate unless it became a big enough story.

Setting aside the dispute between player and team the league has done nothing but try to sweep it under the carpet.

Topic #27344 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

Typical performance from certain people.
The front office of the NBL is scared by the Melbourne Tigers

Reply #347042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is a real shame. if there's a new melbourne club coming in then the tigers need the league much more than the league needs the tigers. time to make them play by the rules.

Reply #347043 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'll add my standard response to anything Tigers related at the moment, "Corletto will be laughing his ass off right about now"

Reply #347047 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Would love to see the new Melbourne team sign Corletto and Ubaka.

Reply #347057 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he was cut and paid out with some notice to find alternate accommodation, then fine. If not, the other teams and the NBLPA should kick up a bit of a fuss and make sure this sticks to the Tigers and that future signing targets are wary.

Reply #347059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBLPA is only ever involved when things like this happen.
They have no public stance on anything like this and are a toothless tiger (pardon the pun).
Ubaka has been terminated and if he wants to take them to court go for it.There would be a non performance clause in his contract and clearly he was under performing.
It certainly could have been handled better and and he shold simply be ejected form his accommodation if that part is true.

Reply #347063 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

the way Seamus do things, I don't think any of these guys were paid out. I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

Reply #347065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The contract is the same for every NBL player except imports have 2 months probation. Ubaka has not been terminated for under performing and whilst both parties are in dispute there are obligations on the club.

The league, not the clubs or the NBLPA, are responsible for ensuring the contract is adhered to by both parties in this situation. The real question is why is NBL management not doing anything to ensure this happens?

Reply #347073 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Obviously legal action could be taken if he wasn't paid out, providing that there was no can be fired without pay if Seamus gets angry clause.

Reply #347074 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I thought Ubaka has performed to the level expected. Not like he shot 99% when he was in Cairns and has stunk up the gym in Melbourne. Get ya wallet out Seamus, before you club gets laughed at and hung up on by potential recruits.

Reply #347079 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Ubaka has been paid out fully

Reply #347081 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"he shold simply be ejected form his accommodation if that part is true."

I'm imagining Ubaka being fired out of a chimney and sailing across the Melbourne skyline.

That's pretty harsh Seamus

Reply #347093 | Report this post

holla  
Years ago

i'm sure plenty of the hoodrats he picks up will have him..
Aside from that, I don't ever believe he deserved the rating he has. He is patchy and can hit a few at the right time but I don't think he is consistent at all. So I'm not sure if under-performance is correct. As far as a point guard goes he struggles, wants to score too much.
I think they'll be better without him.

Reply #347102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& u guys wonder why the bris situation with the nbl in amongst it is soooo tainted lol. time for the nbl to finally get some nuts. people dont respect organisations that have no balls no integrity and cant lead by example. same old sh#t with them year after year.

Reply #347113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

personally i agree that ubakas time was up, i dont think hes been a patch on his previous performances with cairns. i disagree with the firing however if trevor didnt get a say in it, and if its true that he got final say on who stays and who goes. i think dorsey had better be careful too as he also hasnt done a great deal this season since they all jumped ship.

Reply #347117 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ubaka is a SG playing PG, that's not his fault

Reply #347122 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

well....we dont want him back. We'll keep Wilson and Warren; thanks very much.

Reply #347142 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ubaka and Dorsey both had/have two year deals. Makes things easier for subsequent employers.

Reply #347156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

op, is there a link etc for this, just curious cheerz

Reply #347160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasn't chewy playing pg for cairns last season? he did a great job at pg n running the offence. so saying he is a sg isnt a good reason for h
is poor form? or am i wrong?

Reply #347165 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As a landlord, I have to give my tenants 2 months notice to kick them out. BTW how do you pronounce Seamus, is it shame us?

Reply #347174 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

if you know Seamus and think he'd pay the players out you are crazy! from somebody who threatened to not pay players if they keep underperforming?

do you guys really think he paid Al's 5+ years out?

I know he tried to get rid of Helliwell last year but couldn't because Wade was smart enough to have his own contract drawn up by a barrister that would've caused Seamus trouble if he wasn't paid out.

Reply #347180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point

Reply #347191 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What I really want to know is did Ubaka have to give his Tigers shirt back???

Reply #347193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, he didn't pay Westover out. He sacked him as coach but told him if he wanted to keep getting paid he would have to turn up to work everyday (blank desk in the corner of the office 9-5 no doubt) so Westover quit and is now doing very well in Japan.

The good thing is the NBLPA are kicking up a stink about Ubaka's treatment as the Tigers are trying to kick him out of his place and take his car which you can't do during the resolution process.

The NBL themselves are too gutless to stand up to Seamus McPeake.

Reply #347204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers playing a SG in a PG position...??

Wonder how Dave Barlow is doing about now...??

Reply #347214 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, yes, "shame us".

Reply #347231 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I bought up the SG playing PG point because I doubt Ubaka has advertised himself as a PG and teams have signed him knowing his skillset and it is up to them to get the best out of him where they position him.

Reply #347239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has shame us bailed out the nbl with finance needed in the past or is he privvy to some deep dark knowledge or dirt on nbl execs who like to dress up in pink frilly underwear at night ? why the fear of upsetting mcpeake when there is strength in numbers to stand up to him and make his decisions punishable ? anyone else get the feeling there is more to why he is allowed a very very long leash ? he must have something on them or some arrangement of some sort, a debt maybe, definately something.

Reply #347278 | Report this post

Bev Johnson  
Years ago

Reply #347291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754