Isaac
Years ago

Hawks release Showron Glover

Keen to get Ubaka, I imagine.

Showron and the team came to this decision over the last week as it had arisen that Showron had some family issues in the US that could not be avoided.

The Wollongong NRE Hawks wish Showron Glover all the best in his future endeavours and on behalf of our fans we thank him for his contribution to the club.
"So Showron, we're cutting you. Do you want us to use the injury or family issue press release?"

Topic #27347 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I can't wait!

Reply #347095 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Awesome news, good for Hawks and Ubaka. And also for the league in a way, not good to be advertising a player as lacking as Showron Glover as an import. Should have never made it on to an NBL roster. But its done now, hopefully Hawks can make a late run and finish on a respectable note. If Ubaka was to sign and buy in to the culture, i suspect the Hawks could vert easily finish ahead of the 6ers aswell. Interesting to see anyways.

Reply #347096 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

good move by the Hawks

Reply #347098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They should've done this before the import cutting cut-off date.

Reply #347100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Nat, weren't you the one whose 'sources' claimed the Kings were chasing Ubaka?

Reply #347105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ubaka could work well for the gong

Reply #347114 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I did, but that was a few days ago, since been updated. See - http://andthefoul.net/archives/2772

Reply #347118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Hawks honestly shell out the money to get Ubaka?

Seems like more cost-cutting at the Hawks.

Reply #347130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think u will find cause the tigers cut him Im not 100% per cent i think there lie a bull for his salary

Reply #347134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cue grammar police

(only kidding, there's nothing to see here)

Reply #347136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'105, the Kings contacted Ubaka immediately.

The Tigers will need to pay out Ubaka so the Hawks would likely only have to cover a minimum salary (maybe adjusted for points value)? Further, it might be that Ubaka is keen to prove his ability and play himself into a role with the Hawks next season.

I think the Hawks have Melbourne coming up at home and then they visit Melbourne later this season.

Reply #347151 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Tends to play better with a point to prove. Dont sign him 2 a long term deal!!

Reply #347158 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

I definitely feel sorry for Glover- not the right circumstances to be in (wollongong playing very badly all round), limited minutes, him not being completely up to scratch, lack of confidence etc- good luck to him though!

Reply #347170 | Report this post

YeTi  
Years ago

Tyrell: "I definitely feel sorry for Glover ... limited minutes, him not being completely up to scratch ..."

Those two things are related in Pro Basketball, why feel sorry for him. The NBL isn't U12s.

Reply #347207 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Yer, but if(massive generalisation) he was picked up by someone else like the taipans or tigers etc he may have had less expecation to dominate and therefore had time to develop and grow into the league. Point taken though YeTi- still would have liked to have seen the guy get some more minutes.

Reply #347268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think if he was a better/smarter player, he would've got minutes. The Hawks are starting last year's back-up ahead of him after all.

He has NBA aspirations which boggles my mind. In warm ups before the Cairns game, he was throwing bounce lobs to himself that weren't going close. His best bet would be to focus on the core stuff, forget the showtime and work hard. This isn't D-League or streetball. The no-nonsense guys endure in the NBL.

Catron isn't ideal, but his crazed confidence at least has him trying stuff when the rest of the team gets lost.

Reply #347270 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

Well said Isaac

Reply #347281 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Bounce lobs lol. So he couldn't even dunk!? WTF haha. How the fuk can you be 5'10 and unable to dunk...

Reply #347323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The personal reasons for his departure remain guarded.

"The thing is it's a personal reason that made me go back to the US," he deadpanned. "It's very personal."

He is yet to book a flight but is expected to do so soon.

Reply #347583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754