Kramer
Years ago

Derek Moore, is he worth what he asks?

Rumor has it that Derek wants to be a sixer, and the sixer would like him to be.
I believe he has been offered a contract but has knocked it back cos its not enough.
My question is how much is this guy worth?
In all his time in the league he hasnt been much of a stand out more of a solid player/role player, so how can a guy like this be demanding a high price?
The sixers would deffinately look good with him and coop at pivots but the guy wants money not success from my opinion.

Topic #2735 | Report this topic

Homeless  
Years ago

I have to agree, he seems to chase dollars, then out pricess himself and ends up no where.

True as well he would be a nice addition if the line up was

Maher/Mann
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Nash
Rychart/Forman
Cooper/Moore

soudenly an improvement from last year and a team that could go deep in the playoffs

Reply #30883 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

But than again, what do you think the Sixers are offering? I can't imagine it would be much since they still have to leave enough to sign Farley and Coop's has yet to sign.

Reply #30886 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Put the ball back in his court. Offer him a contract with whatever available funds ther 36ers having in the coffers (minus Willie and Coop's).

Put the pressure back onto Moore, stating if we wants to be 6er than that's the bottom line. Take it or leave it.

The 6ers can then say they have tried twice to get Moore. What more could they do????

Reply #30899 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I think if they can afford it they should go for it good all round game for a big man. I agree with " TR" offer him as much as we can and then live the ball in his hands if wants it he will take it.

Reply #30921 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

are the contract amounts for farley and cooper set yet? Maybe the sixers want to have them signed to know how much mulay they have left over before offering to Moore.

Imagine if they signed Moore for $150 (hypothetical) and then Farley was after $201 but sixers only had $200 left (far stretch but you get the picture)...

Reply #30922 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Remember that Moore would be thinking that i can go play in Europe for more than this.

He has a EU passport so plays in Europe as a local.

Would you take a low offer as a pro athlete when you can get on a plane and earn triple what you can here?

Reply #30935 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

It comes down to what he wants out of basketball at this stage. If he wants to play with a good team and chase success then he may look at a lower contract - if money is his #1 focus then he will be off to Europe in a flash. If money is his goal then even if the sixers can afford him I dont think he would fit in with the rest of the team. We play well when we are playing for each other and the team - not for the $$

Reply #30937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Moore wants is a nice, cruisy gig where he doesn't have to train too hard. Has already stated privately that he doesn't want to go to Townsville, West Sydney or NZ because they train too hard!
Does that sound like the type of player we would want?

Reply #30966 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Cmon, train too hard!!! Very funny !
maybe the 36ers would be good for Moore,always thought the 36ers training was fairly laid back?
Maybe Dusty could talk him into playing for adelaide, seeing both playin in N.Z. on same team?

Reply #31051 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Moore does have an EU passport and could play in Europe as a local then why is he wasting his time in Australia, and/or wasting the time of teams in the NBL.

Money is better in Europe, standard is better in Europe, more opportunities in Europe etc etc.

Reply #31094 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Having played youth league and state league with Derek over a decade ago now, Swats may have mellowed a bit as a bloke but as a player he always worked hard and was very hard on himself. It's for these reasons that he played for Australia and for mine, never really got the extended minutes he probably should of during his time in the NBL. If you look at what he did in his last stint with Townsville, he was solid across the board and proved a real headache for opposing front lines.
It is a tough call to throw enormous amounts of cash at him but the reality is he is shot blocker and shot changer - something Adelaide never saw with the man who would struggle to leap a single beer coaster - Paul Rees. If you have Moore and Cooper at the 4 and 5, you now are getting your lions share of the boards, you're blocking up to 6 shots a game (and changing a further 6)and you're dunking the ball all over the place and getting the crowd going!
Bottom line, D Moore can play in Europe for big dosh. And his play in Europe has made him more professional in his approach and appreciation of the game.
You can't play forever. Derek would love nothing more than to finish his career in Australia on a successful team with a chance to show this Country what he is truly capable of. The man needs to think about his future and while money calls over-seas, he has to be smart about the decisions he makes. There is plenty to like about playing over-seas, but there is also plenty to worry about. Playing here and being close to Family and friends would be his first choice, but again, you have to think of your time AFTER the game - your retirement.
The Smyth system of run and gun and free-style ball would suit Derek a treat and his ability to shoot the ball and start fast breaks via blocked shots, deflections and big defensive boards would prove invaluable in this league.
I think that there are plenty of players in the NBL who are getting far more than what they are worth.
But at the end of the day, if you don't pay, they won't play - its that simple.
Clear the cap space - go and get Moore!

Marty Glover, Sydney, NSW.

Reply #98863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754