underated
Years ago

Most Overrated NBL Players

Luke Schenscher, Nathan Jawaii, Ater Majok,

Topic #27413 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

schensher & majoke yes..... Jawai... are u out of your mind?

Reply #348291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schensher & majoke yes..... Jawai... are u out of your mind?

Reply #348292 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Internationally I feel Jawai is over rated but def not at NBL level

Reply #348294 | Report this post

underated  
Years ago

dont think Im out of my mind, there are plenty of guys who put up similar or better numbers than Jawaii in the NBL and most people would not consider those guys Jawaiis caliber. Jawaii gets more attention than most just because he played in the NBA. Andrew Gaze himself has said that the NBA has more than its fair share of ordinary players, big or athletic guys that teams take a chance on hoping they will adapt and improve. I would take a Julian Khazzouh, a Luke Neville, or a young David Stiff over Jawaii any day.

Reply #348298 | Report this post

underated  
Years ago

NBA experience rarely equals NBL dominance. Rememeber that regular playing minutes affects how guys do or dont perform. Ive seen Ater Majok practice in the flesh, take my word for it he trains impressively. He rarely misses shots, runs faster than the guards and is an agressive monster on the defensive end. But he has received limited minutes everywhere he played in Australia. In games he lacked the same drive and confidence and subsequently he rarely dominated in the NBL, but his physical gifts have got the NBA to pay attention.

Reply #348299 | Report this post

Attention needed  
Years ago

Lucas Walker

Lucas Walker

Lucas Walker

Lucas Walker

Lucas Walker

Reply #348303 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Nevill over Jawai?

Yeah nah.

/Case closed

Reply #348304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson - Doesn't know how to win, all about himself and his stats.

Reply #348311 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

LOL luke neville over Jawaii. Nice trolling man.

Reply #348313 | Report this post

WeDaBestMayne  
Years ago

Darren Ng. Totally overrated player. Everybody goes on and on about how he's such a great shooter. Gets rated the best shooter in the players choice poll and all the commentators always cream themselves when talking about 'the doctor'. But what has he done with his shot? Averages about 7 points throughout his whole career and has a Free Throw % of 76.
He struggles to create his own shots and teams nullify his shooting by just sticking a man close to him. He's got average ball handling and sub par defence. If he played for a strong team like Perth he would probs stand out as a great role player but in Adelaide he's more of a liabilty than anything. Don't get me wrong i would love to see him go out and score 30 and back it up but i just never see it happening for this guy.

Reply #348315 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ agree

Reply #348320 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

Yep, agree. Darren Ng is not who he once was or may have become. Time to move him along.
Ron Dorsey - making a career out of two great shots in G2 of 2011 grand final.

Reply #348325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Ng being overrated, not too many scrubs get pumped up as much as he does.

Reply #348330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Ng being overrated, not too many scrubs get pumped up as much as he does.

Reply #348331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce

Reply #348332 | Report this post

dr who  
Years ago

How many times have you seen the 36ers run a set play to get the most feared shooter in the league a good look,

i'll tell ya, never

unless Ng gets his in transition or on a kick out then it never happens.

does pretty well considering the offence is structured for other options.

best thing for darren is to call Jacob Holmes and get himself to another club so he can take off like Oscar and Jacob, other sturt buddies have made the move, the doctor needs to be next, pretty sure there is a hospital in another state,

Reply #348334 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Michael Cedar!!

Reply #348335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ubaka

Reply #348336 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Weigh - but only by Adelaide's coaches!

Reply #348337 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Marty Clarke and radford.

Reply #348340 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Chris Goulding, Steve Weigh, Michael Cedar, Lucas Walker, Darren Ng....winner Goulding.

Reply #348341 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Have to agree with Jackie C on Dorsey.

Ng is the last of a dying bunch of one dimensional players. If he had a handle he'd get more court time & be more of an asset to a coach.

Helliwell once represented Australia. Helliwell - he's a joke!!!

With Clarke as an asst maybe he's off to London. Don't forget Brett Brown was the catalyst to put Tonny Jensen in one of our Olympic teams. Tonny Jensen!

Strange behaviour...

Reply #348345 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell

Reply #348361 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Has to be Darren Ng IMO.

Reply #348371 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I also look at Cooper from the Kings some games, and wonder how he is their starting PG.

There's so many PG's in this league that are better than him. Can't figure out why he starts over Martin..IMO Martin is better.

Reply #348372 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell overrated? Yeah I'll buy that.

Darren Ng? Definitely.

Reply #348382 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Helliwell being overrated is an interesting one.
Noone who's seen him play think he's any good, so in that respect he isn't overrated. But the fact he has an NBL gig and is on the money Melbourne gave him, he's overrated. Definitely overplayed.

Reply #348387 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Is it really suprising that a guy like Helliwell gets overrated? All guys with a bit of height seem to get over-rated in Australia. It starts right from juniors. Growing up I played with 3 dudes who were always selected in State Teams every age group since U10s to U18s. Out of those 3 guys none made it to playing ABL. 1 quit basketball altogether midway through 18s. The other was a bench warmer on an ABL team before getting dropped to div 2. He spat the dummy moved clubs and still got in div 2 and now he's quit the game completely. The 3rd 1 just coasts along in Div 2 and is far from anything special averages about 8 points a game.
The frustrating thing is you could see from an early age that none of these guys were anything good. All they had was height. No athleticism, average shots, no handles, and were slow as fuk on D because of their lack of athleticism. But yeh coz they were all 6'7-6'10 it don't matter if they got no skill they just take up positions of other people who actually had potential and could be developed. These people quit the game and move onto AFL/SANFL and other sports where they actually get appreciated and make good money out of it/rant!

Reply #348394 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Look: I'm a Crocs fan, and a realist, so I know and have examinded the Big Ranga's flaws as closely as anyone, but can you name another player in the league who draws as many double teams as Luke Schenscher? I don't care if he never scores again all season, Crawford, Holmes, M. Cedar, C. Cedar, Blanchfield, Gill, & Mims look like they're at a training run out there against all of the non-contenders (ie. everyone except Perth and NZ.).

It's just target practice for them, and it's all because of the Big Ginger.

Reply #348405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh
Lucas Walker
Ron Dorsey

Reply #348542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Helliwell's pay came from the fact he was returning from Europe, and someone at the Tigers had the old-fashioned notion that anyone playing in Europe must be good.

If they had just studied his numbers in Italy and Greece - which are a similar enough standard to Australia - they would have seen he averaged exactly the same as what he has put up in the NBL since returning!

The funniest bit was they had already signed Nevill, Burston and Tragardh and could probably have afforded Corey Williams from the start had they not signed Wade.

Helliwell is alright if played in the right role - defend, box out and set screens for the few minutes a game you need him out there to cover a big. Wollongong and Gold Coast could have done with him this year.

Schenscher is definitely not overrated.

Reply #348546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, Helliwell is being played in the right role now and struggles most games. OK in pre-season and one or two games, but can't seem to hold onto the ball in the paint if he does get it.

Reply #348549 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

After watching Luke Schensher last night against Perth, I wouldnt have a bar of him! A 7'0 footer who had a donut(0 -points) til the 4th qtr is terrible!

Luke Neville - Beveridge understand how to get the ball to Luke which give them a great inside option!,

Jawai - The best back to the basket australian for a very long time. Will give you 20pts & 10rebs a game with a coach that understand a Big Man game!

Ater - Need to mature but has potential.

Julian - is under the WORST coach in the NBL! SAY NO MORE!

True

Reply #348552 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, I see Helliwell getting the ball in the low post, that's not using him right!

Reply #348555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helliwell's frustrating as with his size in a small league he should be able to gobble up rebounds with ease but he can't even manage that.

He was even a bit unco in his Bullets days when he put up some okay numbers but has really regressed in the 7 years he spent playing in Europe.

Every game he looks like he's playing the sport for the first time.

Reply #348593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helliwell is 212, the average centre is 209, its not like he has a massive size advantage to 'gobble up' rebounds, especially as he has a mobility disadvantage.

Reply #348601 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

The only time Helliwell is impressive is in the warm-ups. In the game he freezes and you never see him doing his warm-up moves. Glad the Tigers lost him.

Reply #348667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754