Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers without Bogut... What can we do?

IF Boguit cant play the olympics this year. what can we do? do we still have a hope in hell of competing?

Topic #27437 | Report this topic

birdman  
Years ago

we will still be competitive but this will seriously reduce our ability to win a medal, in fact would probably put it out of reach in my opinion!

Reply #348704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, top eight would be the best we could hope for I think, unless Mills and Newley have an out-of-this-world tournament from the perimeter. It will be tough though because the defence will be focused on them.

Reply #348706 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If Bogut doesn't play, I doubt we can be in medal contention even though we have capable options at the Centre position such as Maric, Baynes etc.

Bogut is more damaging at both ends of the floor, particularly in defence.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Reply #348710 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Very difficult to think we could make the medal round without Bogut. I think just about every team outside of the USA (and maybe Spain) would struggle without their best player on the floor.

Just get out the highlight tapes from Turkey 2010 to see how we'll look without Bogut. Middle of the road unfortunately.

Reply #348711 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Don't think it will be as big of a hit as we think. Every time I've watched him in a boomers uniform he gets the ball in the post and has to pass right away because he gets double and triple teamed all the time, which would be great if we could consistently make the long shot. Will be a great chance to showcase some more of our youth, and maybe even a chance for someone to prove they are worthy of a shot in the green and gold

Reply #348729 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

If you look at every year leading up to Olympics- he gets injured and then be unavailable to play.

Reply #348730 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I question your comments Observer. He's played in the last two Olympics, 2004 and 2008. That would make him two from two. The 2010 World Championships were the first major international tournament he's missed through injury.

Reply #348738 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And as for you Ricey, if you think not having our best player in the team won't be a big hit, then you need to have your head read. I won't even waste my time listing all of the reasons that having Bogut available makes the Boomers a far superior team.

Reply #348741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Jawai healthy.

Reply #348748 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

Jawai will absolutely kill the olympics!!!! he just kills it everywhere he goes!

Reply #348749 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

As far as I know Jawai did not get an invite. But I would say this has now changed because of Bogut going down. I would say Bogut won't play.

Reply #348753 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bogut has an 8-12 week injury, which means worst case scenario he's back on court in May. The Olympics begin at the end of July, so he should be ok to play in London if he makes a full recovery from the injury.

Reply #348758 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Oh, and as far as 'invites' go, I don't believe our first squad will be announced until April.

Reply #348760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart, I highly doubt the Bucks will alow Bogut to play whether he's recovered or not.

Reply #348761 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The best player who is an average Olympic player really. He doesn't dominate in the slightest. Will be a loss to the team, but not nearly as big as you think it will

Reply #348770 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

yes he played but doesnt play hard like he does in NBA

Reply #348773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey/Observer, are you two quoting from an old Lithuanian scouting report?

Reply #348780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey/Observer, are you two quoting from an old Lithuanian scouting report?

Reply #348781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut would be silly to play in the olympics, he's turning into another Yao Ming, he should retire from international basketball and just have the NBA to work to.

Reply #348782 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Even if he does recover i doubt he'll play in the Olympics. When i broke my ankle it was in a cast for 8 weeks. However, even after it came out the cast it wasn't for several months before i felt 100% with it as far as sprinting went. And that's only the physical side. There's also mental stuff to deal with because it doesn't feel right you feel kind of extra concious about it. He's a world class athlete and has heaps better resources and facilities going towards his rehab though so maybe it's different in his case.

Reply #348815 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

MikefromtheK, Bogut has access to NBA level doctors/physios so his rehab will be monitored very closely and far more advanced than ABA/NBL physios.

As with all injuries, time will tell the story and speculation is useless until he begins his rehab.

Anon, the Bucks will allow him to play because the entire NBA are far more understanding these days when it comes to releasing players to play international ball. Especially Olympic Games.

Ricey, think about what you're saying.. Our starting centre goes from Bogut to Maric/Baynes/Jawai and you think this won't have a big impact?? Sounds like you've been hitting the crack pipe sport!

Reply #348835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut won't play.

Neither will Boguit, his French nemesis (original poster).

Baynes and Maric will have to beat people up. We're blessed for big men.

Reply #348851 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

Maric and Andersen vs P.Gasol and M.Gasol..
lol

Reply #348856 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I said it won't be as big of an impact as expected. Look at his stats, not doing a great deal really considering expectations. We have people who can score, as long as the person taking his spot can fill up the key and get boards it won't be a major issue. The games he hasn't played or had limited minutes in Olympics have usually been some of our better games.

Reply #348885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

il second ricey... we got close to argentina wityhout him, close to the USA actually without him, i mean... its a knock but... uits really about how the team plays together chemistry is first... the names on the jerseys second.

Reply #348907 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Bogut is the glue to the Boomers. Without him playing there is no hope in hell of a medal and maybe a few 20pts loses unfortunately.

True

Reply #348952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wel 'true' i beg to differ.... if anything boguts form in international ball has been sporadic at best. I just finnished watching the Aus V Argentina game from few years back.. and I am pretty confident that they could cover from him, as stated before Australias played some of its better games without using him. Hes a great polayer who would make a big impact but fact of the matter is, is he can be covered for.. You can put all the names you want on a team but that isnt what matters... its what the team chemistry is like... I hope we can get bogut on board... and I think we still could, but if we dont... i still think we could surprise people. who knows, teams may vastly underestimate us comming in and we may take them by surprise... teams have a way of 'playing down' to there competion ala Boomers vs angola in the 80s

Reply #348961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That might be true if the game were only played at the offensive end.

Reply #348979 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Bogut may struggle in some olypic matches. Remember he was the reason we made it in 08 to the finals as he had over 20 and 12 I think for the last 3 games before losing to USA. Don't you think he struggles because the focus of other teams are to stop him and make our other players beat them. I watch the 08 game against the USA and our other players got good shots and missed easy ones. So lets not point blame at our best player. Patty Mills isn't playing either is he??

Reply #349116 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

Anon and Flip have summed up the situation perfectly.
Bogut's biggest value will be drawing the double teams, allowing guys like Andersen and Neilsen more freedom.

Not to mention his value at the defensive end.

Reply #349162 | Report this post

taibu  
Years ago

i still believe Bogut is some chance of playing the olympics, i also still believe Irving is a realistic chance as well.....fingers crossed

Reply #350182 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Bogut wont play. Bucks wont allow it and with rumours of him being traded, he will be looking to build his NBA career to make sure he still earns the top bucks ($$$) and good luck to him. i agree with flip, i have the stats from every game and footage of the 08 olympics and guys like newley had good shots and we missed way too many, infact our outside game is our biggest weakness. years gone by that was our strength with Smythe, Heal, maher and gaze. I dont know what Brown has in mind up front but Baynes has put up big numbers in greece albeit in a dud team. AJ has been injury plagued but recently had a massive game and is so talented. Jawai has been the biggest dissapointment but is playing better, Maric is getting next to no minutes and Majok in a weak league is inconsistent although if brown is looking for a guy to come in and block and alter some shots, grab some boards. he might be worth taking. Baynes has to go, Im a fan of AJ, Andersen and nielson are guaranteed to go. Ingles brings so much, i think Dele might start with Patty. sounds crazy but lets just wait and see. Newley is too inconsistent but is exceptional when cutting to the hoop.

Reply #353500 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

My squad is Mills, Dele, Ingles, Nielson, Andersen.
Bench. Newley, Barlow, Baynes, (Markovic or Crawford), (Gibbo or Martin), AJ Ogilvy, (majok or Worthington).

I hear maybe Kevin Lisch might be available for Aus. i would take him, he is quick off the dribble and terrific outside shot. I have majok pencilled in, now before i get attacked my reasoning is i think the boomers have 2 problems, outside shooting and rebounding/(block/altering shots). If i was coach i would give majok a simple task, block, alter, rebound, screen, clean up around the rim. Before i also get attacked for no Bogut, i dont think he will play but i hope he does and if he does then i dont take majok and i take worthington or someone like that instead.

Reply #353501 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think 2008 was our best ever three point shooting championship or close to? We did miss some wide open ones in the first couple of games, but that's basketball.

Certainly we are not the same three-point shooting team as then. From memory I think Bogut, Anstey, Andersen, Worthington, Newley, Bruton and Mills all shot above 37%. That's pretty impressive.

In 2010 it was only Barlow and Andersen I think.

Reply #353510 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, the offence we ran in 2008 created a lot better shots than in 2010, a but chucken iggy as the Conchords might say.

Reply #353511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754