Years ago

Are we calling too many soft fouls in SA?

always thought we protected the shooter of any contact - but over the weekend in melb - noted that it is a lot more physical and usual fouls not called - unless the ball carrier loses control of the ball or their footing during their line of dribble and lot bumps and arm contact does not get called.

not saying it is good or bad but we would get a lot of softer fouls called particularly on the shooter here in s.a.

also noted refs calling back court arm fouls on the fast break after an advantage pass had gone forward - this allowed the defence to get back and set up - i thought this was to be played to advantage - pretty annoying to have the ball brought back when players were in the open front court for a clear lay up......

appreciate it was a stinking hot weekend and speaking with some refs on 6th game - respect

Topic #27442 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes I agree every time we go interstate I see the same. Albury this year was the same, NSW and VIC country play a conpletly different style of game pressing the ball and defending under the basket, and we winge thinking we are getting fouled.

Cheap hand fouls from poor positioning and reaching gets called but turning dribblers using your body and chesting is allowed.

This difference in interpretation is hurting SA and its been like this for years

Reply #348798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree! I think there is a post like this after every Jan and June long weekends. I think our competition could develop better players if the refs let more go.

Reply #348805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs nees to protect the shooters
& should call the game early to set the tone & allow the players to adjust.
Anon rgding albury I thought a lot of the refs were terrible & inconsistent, at times. What did u think?(which age group).
The issue is & ive dicussed this with high level coaches, in australia we allow 1 bbp at nationals, but at the international level the refs do not & we struggle to guard without the contact

Reply #348824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a tough one... I found that what was deemed a foul varied greatly between games. Early morning games, when it was cooler, I found the ref's let the game flow. Where as by the middle of the day through to the afternoon, things tightened up in order to slow the game down in the heat.

Did anyone else find it work this way?

Overall I thought the reffing was actually pretty good across the weekend. Sure there was the standard eyebrow raising interpretation on some things, I even had one ref tell me that he was wrong but couldn't reverse his call now because he would look like a goose! But all in all, far better standard of reffing than many other tournaments I have been to.

Reply #348830 | Report this post

Evil Eagle  
Years ago

I think the opposite. We know that refs hate calling fouls on ball carrier defenders. By reaching in and bumping the ball carriers it serves multiple purposes. It gives us plenty of opportunity to get a steal in the back court, it gives our talls time to get back in D, and it stops their transition just to name a few. Refs are running and so can't see all the action.

I coach my girls to do just that. By being physical with our opponents when they are bring the ball down we know that if we are unlucky they will call it, but most of the time, they won't get called and risk = reward.

The only soft fouls that refs call in SA is around the key. We don't like penetrations into the key and so if they drive and look like a layup, we foul and make them earn their points.

Reply #348834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u sound like a good coach :/

Reply #348840 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the Referee Education Officer (or whatever the position is called) at Basketball SA. There appear to be a lot of comments about this issue, particularly after teams have been to tournaments in VIC or NSW. If these comments are coming from parents then they need to address the team coach and THEN - if enough coaches are concerned about the situation then band together and approach Basketball SA in a unified manner. Bitching about the problem on this web site will not achieve anything - because that is what the comments will be perceived as - bitching. If this is such a problem then have the coaches unify and do something about it. And I'm sure some people will say that won't work. The answer is - TRY. Maybe the referee educators in this state need to liaise with their interstate counterparts and find out what the policy is with regards to the issues raised in this site and try to ascertain a standard/uniform policy that can be implemented. This should already be happening, but historically this does not occur until teams go to nationals or tournaments where the disparity in officiating is noted. Once again - band together - and try to fix the problem. If you don't or can't do that then stop bitching and accept that there will be issues when teams travel interstate.

Reply #348841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gee thats a great teaching philosophy thank goodness my daughter isn't been coached by you. Trying to live "your" dream? perhaps.

Reply #348843 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

this was not a bitch about the reffing - just an observation of what appeared to be different points of emphasis.

i had no problem as it was generally consistent and it was stinking hot.

appreciate the amount of refs required and the weather was hot - like i said before - respect.

trouble is we did not know if we had a panel ref or social ref - as we do not know them and what level they are at.

the point of feeding back regarding different interpretations is an important one and needs to be done here - so our state delegates can discuss in forum with interstate counterparts.

Reply #348897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754