Isaac
Years ago

Mat Campbell wins NBL POTW

I think this one could be disputable and I reckon the NBL wanting to see a POTW winner from each team may have been a factor. Soup's shooting got them the start that turned the game into a convincing win, but I do like to see a bit more in the other columns with my POTW winners.

The veteran known as 'Soup' produced some vintage basketball heroics against the Tigers, scoring 17 points and adding three rebounds and one assist to help the Hawks record their second win in three games with a 90-68 romp over Melbourne.

Campbellā€™s nine first-quarter points helped the Hawks explode out of the blocks and take a lead they would never relinquish. He shot the ball at 55% from the field (6-of-11) and made 4-of-7 three-pointers (57%) for the match.
Runners up were Johnson (21 and 16 with two steals, two blocks) in a road loss ("to Adelaide", says the NBL release), Wortho (17 and 7 in a home thumping of Cairns), Ubaka (15/3/4 with three steals in a home win) and then Redhage, Wagstaff, Lisch, Wilkinson and Allen.

You thought those last few guys were the honourable mentions? Never fear, we have more!
Others considered for Player of the Week for Round 17 included Liam Rush (Melbourne), Peter Crawford (Townsville), Eddie Gill Townsville), Cedric Jackson (New Zealand), Thomas Abercrombie (New Zealand) and Glen Saville (Wollongong).

Topic #27445 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

with 13 out of ~90 players in league in the list, odds are you will get a mention.

Reply #348862 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, and no disrespect intended to Mat Campbell, but this show's how shallow the NBL's PotW award has become in 2011-12.

Like Isaac I can understand the NBL's desire to have the award go to someone from a winning team but in essence that makes a mockery of the Player of the Week award. This isn't the first time this season that someone from a losing team has had a better personal game than anyone else in the league yet has been overlooked for the PotW simply because his team lost.

A player of the week should be that, PLAYER of the week, regardless of whether or not his team won or lost.

Compare their respective stats for the round and judge for yourself...

MC: (Hawks d Tigers 90-68)
17pts, 3 rebs, 1 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks

DJ: (36ers lost to Crocs 69-79)
21pts, 16 rebs, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks

And also consider that Matty Campbell had plenty of help in demolishing the Tigers. Without DJ's input Adelaide would have been lucky not to join the Crocs (against Perth) and Taipans in scoring less than 60 points.

Reply #348949 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I stand corrected, Isaac said about the league wanting to see each team get a PotW award for the season, not that they want to see the weekly winner come from a winning team.

From the NBL's point of view I guess it makes sense but I still say both reason's make a mockery of the award. Its not always rewarding the best player of the round which is what it should do.

Reply #348957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might've just been that there were no real winning standouts. Wortho had 7 boards which isn't massive. Ubaka had a few bits and pieces with his score. Oh well.

Reply #349025 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

I think a little of it is kinda like a "Lifetime Achievement" award, like they do with the Academy Awards. It does show a good shooter + a good PG= good shots.

Reply #349095 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Abby Bishop , Adelaide wins WNBL , of course.

Reply #349111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:56 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754