........"
Years ago

NBL to NBA

No players have made the transition from NBL to NBA in the last few years. Why is this. Do we not do enough in the NBL or has the NBA stopped looking for talent in Australia?

Topic #27486 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

there's no good enough talent in the nbl anymore. the quality of ball here is severely lower than what it was 10 years ago.

Reply #349606 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Any NBA like ready players leave the NBL to play in Euro, 10 - 20 years ago Euro league wasn't as wealthy as it is these days.

Reply #349610 | Report this post

Tigers fan  
Years ago

The NBA is a lot more athletic than the NBL. When the NBL players start going for more dunks and more athletic plays that's when the NBA will start looking topics up people from our league. For example: Last night in the Townsville vs Adelaide 36ers game Luke Schenscher, who happens to be 7 foot tall, was given a wide open layup and didn't even dunk it. When the NBL becomes more athletic we will se a lot more players drafted to a higher level.

Reply #349626 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What is worth considering is that nowadays our top talent usually heads to Europe for very good money and in their top leagues rather than direct to the USA. Our top junior talent usually go straight to US College also...with the top-liners the only ones in contention for the NBA (i.e. Mills). Schenscher got his crack at the NBA straight out of college as well as a comparison. Nevill made a run at the NBA via the D-League also as more recent examples. Bose chose to come home to the NBL rather than try the D-League.

The gap between the NBL and Europe is not as big as some people think, especially between the top echelon of players here in OZ and those playing in europe. Look at Penney for example - he is one of the elading scorers in the Spanish ACB - arguably the best European domestic league!

Andersen is a former NBLer who went to Europe and then to the NBA and back.

Jawai I believe was the last NBLer to go straight to NBA?

The athleticism of the player does play a part though - the NBA is far more athletic than the European leagues, and in turn the NBL. that's probably why Jawai got a look in from the NBL in the first instance.

Our best talent in general will head overseas - most to Europe due to the type of game that is played and the money on offer. Our team oriented style of game and the way our players are taught will generally lend itself more to the European styles of play...

Reply #349627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very few players have ever gone from the NBL to the NBA. Australia just doesnt produce very many players with the level of athleticism needed.

I can only think of six Aussie players in total who have played anything resembling regular minutes in the NBA - Longley, Anstey, Bogut, Jawai, Andersen and Mills. That's three from college, two from NBL and one from Europe.

None of our current players in Europe seem a shot to make it, and the only one in the NBL with a chance is a bloody Kiwi.

Reply #349634 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andersen - NBL - Europe - NBA - Europe
Anstey - NBL - Europe - NBA - Europe - NBL
Bogut - College - NBA
Bradtke - NBL - NBA - NBL
Gaze - NBL - College - NBL - Europe - NBL - NBA - NBL (or something like that)
Heal - NBL - NBA (with a few stints in Europe thrown in)
Jawai - NBL - NBA - Europe
Longley - College - NBA
Mills - College - NBA - NBL - China - ???
Schenscher - College - NBA D-League - NBA - NBL

Did I miss anyone??? Did this quickly...

Reply #349635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace, but was he an Aussie back then? Either way, like Gaze, Bradtke, Heal and Schenscher it was more a peek in the door than a stint for the Amazing one!

Reply #349640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey went from the NBL to the NBA, then to the NBL and then to Europe.

Reply #349642 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anstey actually went from the NBL to the NBA, then to Europe, and then finished his career back in the NBL.

Reply #349648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, Anstey went NBA to NBL (Victoria Titans 2001 and 2002) then to Europe.

Reply #349649 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Ah, correct Anon - I forgot about that Titans stint.

So Anstey went from the NBL to the NBA, back to the NBL, then to Europe, and THEN finished his career back in the NBL with the Tigers.

Reply #349655 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I don't like posting stuff from my own website on forums (Kinda like public masturbation) but I wrote up a small blog about NBA to NBL cross over. http://andthefoul.net/archives/2046

It's rare a player will start in the NBL & go straight to the NBA.
Mark Bradtke actually had two Euro stints, one before going to the NBA and one after (1992 & 2002ish or 2005)

The Talent level in the NBL is actually pretty good compared to alot of the Euro leagues and Asian leagues. It's just we don't have the funding to keep players here long term or attract the better NBA drop outs.

Reply #349657 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Also for the NBL Wiki site coming up, I've added a NBA/NBL list. Here is a screen shot of it

http://andthefoul.net/NBANBL.jpg

That is a list of every player that has played in the NBA & NBL, only included players that played playoff or regular season games for both leagues. That's why players like Tony Bennett aren't included.

Reply #349660 | Report this post

Oldtimer  
Years ago

Rick Brunson

Reply #349692 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Rick Brunson went NBL > CBA > NBA

Doug Overton went CBA > NBL > NBA

Reply #349693 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Based on the comments but not looking at the various links, what stands out for me is that you'll only get to the NBA if you're really tall (PF or C) or a really good shooter (SG). Otherwise, no chance.

Reply #349764 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754