HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 18

I'm at it again, boring some of you (most maybe?) but why not? So anyway, Round 18...not an exceptionally good round for attendances but at least all home fans who attended the round saw their teams win. Only the 3rd time this season but the second week in a row that's happened.

Breakers vs Wildcats - 4,000 @ NSEC (91%)
Tigers vs 36ers - 2,216 @ SNC (63%)
Taipns vs Crocodiles - 4,835 @ CCC (91%)
Blaze vs Hawks - 3,122 @ GCCC (59%)
Crocodiles vs 36ers - 3,322 @ TEC (63%)

A 4th sellout crowd in a row for the Breakers, this one a top of the table clash and while its good they got another 4K crowd I'll admit to being surprised that 1 vs 2 attracted less than the centre's seated capacity, let alone its total capacity. But, in saying that I'll stop bagging them because there are some teams in this league who can't even sellout one game a season let alone 4 in a row, and one was almost an 8k crowd. Either way it was a very good turnout again from the people in Auckland.

For two teams on losing streaks I guess I'm not surprised at the crowd for the Tigers vs 36ers. Given that the game was on TV probably didn't help attract people either). The 2nd lowest crowd of the season but the lowest on a teams actual rather than alternate home court. Getting only just over 2,200 isn't good, especially when the venue only holds 3,500.

To the fans in Cairns...take a bow. Yet ANOTHER great home crowd at the Cairns Convention Centre (regardless that it was against 'local' rival Townsville). Still only one of two clubs yet to post less than 4K for a home game this season. If Adelaide's season continues going down the dunny I'd be willing to bet that the Taipans end up with the highest average home attendance for the season.

I still don't know what to make of the Blaze fans. The team is playing a tough, physical and above all winning style and they still struggle to get more than just over 3K to a home game. Sure it was against the (then) bottom placed Hawks but the one thing the Blaze's 41 point win lacked was crowd atmosphere. And is it me or does the Convention Centre have the darkest set of seating lights of any venue in the league? Even on wide angle shots on One its hard to see anything other than the court area.

Considering that Townsville were hosting the 36ers for the 2nd time in 12 days and exactly 300 less people showed on Sunday night than did for the mid-week game the previous round, it wasn't bad. Adelaide on a losing streak wouldn't be a big draw around the league right but more than 500 below their season average isn't flash. With the Crocs being 8-2 at home and 3rd on the ladder I'd like to think they could draw a better average than 3,826. They're being shown up badly by their rivals in Cairns...

So there you have it. Two very good crowds, two lower than average crowds and one piss poor crowd. Sounds about normal to me.

Make of it what you will

Topic #27499 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

lowest home crowd EVER in Crocs/Suns history at 3322 i am told...

Shame Townsville, Shame!

Reply #349832 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I was suprised that so many turned out for the Tigers. Basically, it was a bottom-of-the-table clash, and for much of the game the quality wasn't there.

Reply #349837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were also up against a cricket match, but that's no excuse in Melbourne. Now that Seamus is gone, hopefully the Tigers can earn some goodwill from the public and some fans will come back.

Still, Melbourne and Gold Coast are by far the lemon franchises in the NBL. Expansion is good, but the league really needs to focus on getting theses 2 clubs up to scratch before considering a new team. Or force them to do greater marketing in their city, as whatever they are currently doing isn't working.

Reply #349851 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

The Breakers have been doing very well with their crowd numbers.

Reply #349864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Melbourne is the heart of basketball in Australia the NBL and the Tigers need to fix the problems there now Seamus is gone.

There's no excuse for the Tigers not selling out in a city with some many basketballers.

Gold Coast's issue is the way they run their games the game itself is like an afterthought. The crowd aren't there for a basketball game, they're there for a concert. And the music isn't even that good!

Reply #349865 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Melbourne fans have so many sports teams on offer that they can afford to just concentrate on the ones that are fun to watch, or else are at least winning. Tigers are neither right now.

On top of that, the venue is in a dumb spot, and the "entertainment" and the announcer are the pits - loud, not very interesting, and very predictable. Very small-town feel compared to Sydney.

Reply #349870 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The Blaze games i've watched on TV are just terrible. Music is so loud and it's on 80% of the game! Cheerleaders are more the entertainment than the actual game it's self.

I've almost given up watching Blaze home games, everytime the Blaze score ONE show the cheerleaders for 2/3 seconds, if the other team is full court pressing then you often miss steals or forced turn overs because of it.
Throw in the fact that the music is on all the time.. It's just not fun to watch. Shame, because when they're on, the Blaze are very entertaining.

Reply #349872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely agree with above comments. Also with Gold Coast, another dissapointing aspect to their games is that even though they play in a fantastic modern arena, the product is shit. The lighting is too bright on the court, and the crowd is blacked out so you cant see the crowd (apart from the first 10-15 rows).

The music is also too much as others have mentioned before.

This stuff affects crowds - fix it, and more will come.

Reply #349881 | Report this post

fisherman  
Years ago

I was at the Blaze game and box score said 2580. Crowd fudging? No way was there over 3000 there.

Reply #349900 | Report this post

breakers  
Years ago

didnt really expect alot at the tigers game as there was 70 thousand watching the cricket, also friday night has rep games on

Reply #349911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754